'02-'05 vs '06-'07
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '02-'05 vs '06-'07 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Are the 06-07s "better" or just different than the 02-05 models? I would like a premium/limited model since I just ...

'02-'05 vs '06-'07

Are the 06-07s "better" or just different than the 02-05 models? I would like a premium/limited model since I just have to have a sunroof but have noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of these around. I like the 06-07s but don't want to limit myself if the 02-05s are just as good.

Is the extra power that noticable? Are there any other features that make the 06-07s more desirable?

Thank you for any opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The biggest difference is 2.0L(02-05) vs. 2.5L(06 & 07). Also, 06 and 07 has no cat on the UP, so that's one less mod you need to do. Most would say if you can afford it, get the later model. In retrospect, the older models are still great cars, but you'll get more "bang for the buck" if you mod an 06/07 (e.g. stage II)
    Last edited by McGizzle; 03-12-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

+1 for 2.5l
    i have an 07 wrx and i love it, although i havent driven any other subie so my opinion is biased, but id say go with the 06-07
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

I Support ClubWRX
    06-07's are drive by wire, have a 2.5L engine

05-07's have an upgraded interior over the 02-04's

02-03 have known transmission issues.

if you're dying for a 2.0l, 05 was the best year, but if you want a 2.5l it's debatable between the 06/07.

07 had a changed ECU, and there have been several people complaining about increased throttle hesitation, but apparently tuning takes care of this.

The 07 lost a few very minor performance enhancements (aluminum suspension bits and pieces) but the 07 has a Aux In jack (god... what I'd do for one of these )

Overall performance between 02-07, the 06/07 has the best engine for modifying, and the 06 has minor upgrades that the 07 lost.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ very good breakdown.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    2006-2007 Subaru WRX (US)

Rev. F (2006)
    For 2006 the Subaru Impreza WRX received a complete front-end re-design, boldly styled headlights with smoke-tinted lenses, a three-section mesh-type grill, and distinguished new tail lamp clusters. Three trims levels are available: WRX TR (Tuner Ready), WRX, and Limited. The car’s curb weight is 3,140 lb (1,424 kg) for the WRX TR, 3,192 lb (1,448 kg) for the WRX, and 3240 for the WRX Limited.
    The biggest change was the 2.5-liter turbocharged intercooled EJ255 engine, producing 230 hp (172 kW) at 5600 rpm. It replaced the 2.0-liter EJ205 engine used since the WRX model's introduction. The larger-displacement engine produces 235 lbft (319 Nm) of peak torque at 3,600 rpm, compared to 217 lbft (294 Nm). at 4,000 rpm for the previous WRX. Performance was improved in all speed ranges, with greater emphasis on low-end and mid-range torque. The 2.5-liter WRX engine shares architecture and technology with the WRX STI engine, including Subaru Active Valve Control System (AVCS) variable valve timing technology and an Electronic Throttle Control system. The turbocharger remains the same unit as on the 2002-2005MY US-spec WRXs, but now only peaks at 11.6 psi of boost. The first gear in the transmission received dual-ring synchros to improve downshifts from 2nd to 1st.
    2006 Impreza WRX models gained significant chassis and braking system enhancements. Aluminum front suspension lower L-arms reduce unsprung weight to enhance steering response. (The rear suspension gained forward aluminum lateral links in the 2005 model year.) The steering rack was updated for improved steering feel and the steering rack ratio has been changed to 15.0:1. On all WRX models, new 7-spoke 17 x 7-inch (180 mm) aluminum-alloy wheels replace the previous 5 spoke 16 x 6.5-inch (170 mm) wheels. Tires, likewise, are 215/45ZR17 versus 205/55R16 before. The more powerful brake system employs 11.5 in (292 mm) vented front discs and now uses four-piston calipers instead of the previous versions two-piston calipers. The rear brakes are all new, with 11.3 in (287 mm) ventilated discs replacing the previous 10.3 in (262 mm) solid discs, and two-piston calipers replacing single-piston calipers. Painted red and featuring the SUBARU name in white, the calipers also make a strong visual statement.
    The horsepower and torque numbers are likely underrated, as shown by multiple independent dynamometer tests.[2] This is further proven by further comparisons. If the 2005MY US-spec WRX had 217 lbft (294 Nm) of torque, then the 2006MY US-spec WRX's 235 lbft (319 Nm) should show a minimal amount of increase on the dynamometer. However, tests have shown that a 2006MY US-spec WRX puts out a higher peak torque rating than a 2005MY US-spec WRX with Stage 2 Cobb Tuning (turboback exhaust and engine control unit reflash).[3] Dynamometer tests by Cobb on a base 2006 WRX prove 202 hp (151 kW) at the wheels, which upon adding in the 15-20% drivetrain loss doesn't come to the factory claimed power output.

Rev. G (2007)
    Ikuo Mori takes the place of Kyoji Takenaka as President and CEO of Fuji Heavy Industries.
    As a cost-cutting effort, the WRX has its aluminum suspension reverted to steel-cast pieces. The WRX and Limited trim levels receive an auxiliary audio port next to the cigarette lighter and MP3 CD playback.
    Last edited by Sinister; 03-12-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Copied from Wikipedia
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ^ very good breakdown.
    Thanks! Now make me a sammich!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    06-07's are drive by wire, have a 2.5L engine

05-07's have an upgraded interior over the 02-04's

02-03 have known transmission issues.

if you're dying for a 2.0l, 05 was the best year, but if you want a 2.5l it's debatable between the 06/07.

07 had a changed ECU, and there have been several people complaining about increased throttle hesitation, but apparently tuning takes care of this.

The 07 lost a few very minor performance enhancements (aluminum suspension bits and pieces) but the 07 has a Aux In jack (god... what I'd do for one of these )

Overall performance between 02-07, the 06/07 has the best engine for modifying, and the 06 has minor upgrades that the 07 lost.
    +1 I'm glad I had the last good year 2.0 I guess.... 2005... wish I would've gotten an '06 though, for the ability to mod more... but hey, I still love my '05, engine failures and all! lol

Thanks for all the advice, looks like I'll be looking for a 06-07. I don't care for the 08-09s as they don't look like a WRX to me. They kind of look like an Accord hatchback. Looks too long and the trunk is too short.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wapam View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, looks like I'll be looking for a 06-07. I don't care for the 08-09s as they don't look like a WRX to me. They kind of look like an Accord hatchback. Looks too long and the trunk is too short.
    Yea the new WRXs look like Honda Civic hatchbacks *puke* sorry guys! Same with the new STi. I'd rather drive a freaking...um.... something else....

I know this veers from the subject, but what makes the '05 2.0 better than the '04?
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    I know this veers from the subject, but what makes the '05 2.0 better than the '04?
    The interior is the major difference IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The interior is the major difference IMO.
    Just the interior? I have an '05... wish the engine was better lol *slaps head* why couldn't I just get an '06!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.