noob subi owner - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on noob subi owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by eeejan -STI/OEM TMIC You don't need this. Your existing IC is fine. -exhaust (since my stock one ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by eeejan View Post
    -STI/OEM TMIC
    You don't need this. Your existing IC is fine.

-exhaust (since my stock one seems to be getting rusty)
    That's odd... Do you get lots of water out there?

-DP/UP (i still don't know which one to get for my 4eat..both?)
    -ECU flashed to stage 2 (i've read that its recommended to flash the ECU after a mod or what not)
    Because of your location I'd advise either staying stock (the only legal option...) or Stg 1. Should you go Stg 2, requiring a downpipe, keep the old parts as you will need them if your county requires bi-annual or even ownership-transfer smog checks.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    you mean CATTED and catless?
    ... depending on your state- you cannot pass emissions with a catless exhaust system... edit: just realized you're in CALI.. they have some of the most strict emissions standards in all of the united states.
    Oh yes. OP should keep that in mind, it does complicate "mods."

Quote Originally Posted by PrimevilWRXSTI View Post
    damn didn't think people take forums that serious like this guy
    The trouble is that this thread could be searched by countless people for years to come, so if we can keep it accurate that'd be best.

I realise your use of "bypass" referred to a "dump" setup in the air intake to prevent water entering the intake, but the use of an aftermarket intake in and of itself isn't necessary, especially at this stage, is unlikely to meet emissions req's in this area, and besides... I've been braying for years for somebody to post reproducible, statistically significant data showing their intake plus filter setup is better (read: filters air better; lets less dirt in!) than the stock setup, but so far I remain a lone donkey in the wilderness...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so in other words...if I were to do these mods...I'd have to keep my stock parts incase I have to go through a smog check / emissions test.

reason why I just want to do little to the car is because I got it used (116k miles on it)..the IC looks like its been through a lot but its still in good shape. I just need to straighten out the little vents and clean it out.

thanks all for your advice/help...keep em coming thanks for input =]

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, any alteration to emissions equipment will likely violate federal law, and any components not exempted by CARB will violate state law. Whether you're caught or not has to do with where you register the car, where you drive the car, and how lucky you are.

Is the maintenance schedule up to date? Timing belt?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I believe the maintenance is up to date. Just been too busy with school, so far I've had no problems with it. I will take it to a shop within 2 weeks though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great. It's an interference motor so doing the timing belt on time is important.

yikes...yeah i've just research what the non-interference/interference motors are. i will definitely get it checked asap. again thanks for the heads up SD_GR

There you go Eeejan you could not pay for better advice

If you get the chance jump in to the thread below and I'll introduce to Weasel who's another one of the Mod's on the site.

He'll do two things

Keep you out of trouble like me

Tell you all about Scoobys
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12