New Guy Here

This is a discussion on New Guy Here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, everyone. I am new to the WRX community. I'm in my 30's and have a family. I'm not really ...

New Guy Here

Hello, everyone. I am new to the WRX community. I'm in my 30's and have a family. I'm not really into throwing my personal information out there for the whole world to see, so, if you have any personal questions or want to know a little more about me, please PM me. I'm not a prick, but in my job, I have to be concerned about security.

I have been very partial to the 2002-2003 model years since my friend took delivery on his back in early 2002. I finally took delivery on mine last week while back in NC. My wife and I have been looking for an 02-03 for quite a while. We found several in the 10-13k range. With that being said, she called me and gave me a phone number. She said "Call this number. I found your car." I was a little confused at first, thinking "Did I lose one of my cars?" Finally, I came to my senses and called the number. The seller told me about the car.

THE BAD:
    The engine is crap. It will start up, but it sounds like WWIII under the hood. The passenger side view mirror is just "hanging around". There are some scratches on the LF fender and same side of the hood. Someone did a sub-par job of installing the turbo timer because it's just "hanging around" also.

THE GOOD:
    The WRX is model year 2002. It has a CARFAX certified clear title. I'm not sure of the "politically correct" color, but it's silver. The car has 75,XXX miles on it. The hood is painted black and stock wheels are painted dark grey/gunmetal. It has a Perrin intake pipe between the MAF and turbo, HKS bov and turbo timer(see above about this), aftermarket headers and up pipe, aftermarket 3" exhaust(not sure of brand, but not home made), Tein springs(I think it still has stock struts), said to have aftermarket F&R sway bars(I could only confirm the rear sway bar, again, not sure of brand), stainless braided brake lines (unconfirmed), and a camber kit(again, unconfirmed).

I couldn't confirm all of the above simply because I was limited on time. As I learn the unknown, I will gladly share my findings. As of this coming Friday, March 13th, I will be taking delivery on an engine and the transplant will start the following week. After the transplant, my father will be driving the car for a few days to insure nothing is wrong. When I go back to NC next month, if all is well, I will be driving the car back to CA.

Here is what has already made a few of my close friends jealous: I only paid $4,000 for the car. The engine plus labor is going to be close to $2,000. So, I will only have around $6,000 in the car. I could easily flip it for a profit, but I have been wanting one of these things for several years, and I will be keeping it.

In closing, it's great to finally own a WRX and I hope my tenure here at clubWRX will be enjoyable.

-Cooper
    Last edited by Cooper; 03-09-2009 at 07:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here are a few pics of the car...

...comments are always welcome.
    -Cooper

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club! I used to have a silver bugeye too.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome to the club! I used to have a silver bugeye too.

Sweet! I've wanted one since 2002 and I finally got one. It needs a little work, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got.
    -Cooper

welcome to the club. bugeyes ftw!

i say go wingless and debadge the trunk
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Howdy Cooper ( in my best american accent )

You and me are going to get on famous

I have been waiting for 9 months to get another Scooby since losing my WRX V Spec Claasic Scooby.

It's mad I have never really had a relationship with a car before and as soon as I drove the Scoob I was smitten not just me but MrsO as well who is also a member on here ( keeps tabs and all that )

I have recently purchased a Classic RA and as you can see from the avatar she is a beuat running around 300 BHP with nothing more the a cat back exhaust. And weighing some 110 KG lighter then the standard WRX or there abouts.

This to was a real bargain as I only paid 1650 which I could easily knock around for around 3-4 grand.

I wouldn't cause I won't find one like her again.

The great thing when I bought her from the bloke he almost interviewed me as to see if I was suitable to purchase the car and one of the reasons he sold it to me was I had previously had one and sent asome of my old photo's.

Weasel is on the forum as to The J both really helpful and have kept me out of trouble numerous times.

Being married and having like you responsibilitys it's important that if you spend dollar it's the best return on investment and thats the great thing about this forum.

You ask you get and don't get all the crap that goes with it.

Reall y great to see a like minded Scooby fella join the crew.

If you ever feel the need to dive in and have a chat on our thread the UK X Pats feel free you would be more then welcome.

Atleast that way i don't have to speak to Weasel on my own all the time.
    Classic Crew #01
    "When life passes you by in a flash you know you have been Scoobied
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

lol dude look on the bright side we got scooby's

yeah I just got my WRX last week too - so I'm definitely a scooby noob. got mine like yours except it's a bug eye wagon

116k on it but hey, as long as its well maintained they'll last

grats on the scooby and gluck/have fun on your trip back to CA

Oak1ey, thanks for the invite. I may join you sometime for a chat. I need to figure out the time difference.

Now, you guys aren't going to believe this...

I'm getting yet ANOTHER engine from the recycle yard. I kinda got screwed on the first engine I bought b/c I ended up getting a short block(61k miles) with heads bolted on w/o gaskets, and w/o valves in them, and one cam was locked up!!! I was told the price would be $850 and the only things I would need to put on myself would be the intake manifold and accessories. I was a little skeptical about it, but took the chance anyways. Well, I ended up with a big pile of junk. Unfortunately, the recycle yard I'm going to is the only one within almost 100 miles that has a USDM 2.0. I'm sure my mechanic could have made it work, but the extra cost of labor would have probably put me up closer to the same amount as paying extra for a "complete" engine. I made my presence known today, and on Monday, I am getting a different engine that will be complete.

-Cooper

New shortblocks aren't that expensive from the dealership...the price of 2 junker used engines pretty much = 1 good new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    New shortblocks aren't that expensive from the dealership...the price of 2 junker used engines pretty much = 1 good new engine.

Luckily, the $850 I have already paid out will go towards a complete engine. I'm starting to think I may have been better off purchasing a brand new short block...We will see. Live and learn.
    -Cooper

Morning all it is 8am in England and it's a sunny day.

Forgot I was in work at 9am this morning and arrived 2 hours early WTF.

Cooper good luck with the new engine hopefully this one will be a farily straight forward drop in link up and go for your mechanic to work with.

It's been a while since I attempted to swap engines out and I have to say the electrics are some what a bit scarey nowadays but have atleast managed one in the end.

I am hoping you had a quiet word with whoever the muppet was that sticthed you up with the first engine

Give it the large
    Classic Crew #01
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    holy god. you havent posted in like, a year!

anyway, to the op: get rid of that turbo badge asap!

other than that, nice lookin car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Had wondered where TimDog was
    Classic Crew #01
    UK / Ex Pats forum
    UK Chat Group
    Oak1ey Gallery

I Support ClubWRX
    Con grates on your purchase!I would sell the BOV and turbo timer.Use the money to buy a stock used BPV and maybe get a good set of gauges.Pre modded WRX's can be a nightmare to fix.Most dealerships and mechanic shops will not touch them with a 10 ft pole.Newer OBD II cars are very sensitive to backyard mechanic moddifications.Lots of good info:

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S