From Turbo Buick to WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on From Turbo Buick to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all - Just wanted to say hello, came over to the WRX from an '87 Buick Grand National. For ...

From Turbo Buick to WRX

Hey all -

Just wanted to say hello, came over to the WRX from an '87 Buick Grand National. For all those unaware, it's a turbo-V6 that Buick made in the late 80's that spanked most anything around, and it was a great car. I modified the hell out of it with bolt-ons and never tore into the motor, but it went quite well.

Anyways, I needed a combo daily driver/fun car so I settled on an '06 WRX with the 5spd, loaded w/ all the goodies (WOW a lot has changed since 1987!) and I just love it so far. I want to make sure I can have some fun without making it unreliable, so any tips in caring for these cars would definitely be appreciated.

And while I know this isn't the forum for this question, but does anybody bother going Stage 1 on these cars? It seems pointless to drop $700 on a Cobb AP for 0.4 hp and 6/7 ft lbs tq, but maybe thats just me.
    2006 WRX .:. 5-Speed .:. Silver Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!! People do go stage 1 on these cars...but typically go to stage 2 shortly thereafter.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

GN's are sicccccccck the spool sounds ridiculous yeah stage 1 is a joke on a subaru go stage 2 most of us do!
    I am Rob - 02 WRB Impreza WRX Sedan: 15% tint all the way, Invidia N1 race catback exhaust, Helix bellmouth DP, Perrin 25mm rear sway bar, SPT High flow air intake, HKS SSQ Bov, Whiteline rear end links,
    17'' Gold OZ Ultra Leggeras, K-Sport fully adjustable coilovers, JDM V7 STi scoop...Much more to come in time
    You WON'T find any V-Tec under my hood!
    BugEye Mafia#208

from 1987 Buick GN to WRX STI

Guess its not just me, but I also came from a Buick GN to a 2006 WRX STI that I'm about to purchase. Just wanted to have a fun little buggy myself, with some nice horsepower...

Mack

Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinUpGN View Post
    Hey all -

Just wanted to say hello, came over to the WRX from an '87 Buick Grand National. For all those unaware, it's a turbo-V6 that Buick made in the late 80's that spanked most anything around, and it was a great car. I modified the hell out of it with bolt-ons and never tore into the motor, but it went quite well.

Anyways, I needed a combo daily driver/fun car so I settled on an '06 WRX with the 5spd, loaded w/ all the goodies (WOW a lot has changed since 1987!) and I just love it so far. I want to make sure I can have some fun without making it unreliable, so any tips in caring for these cars would definitely be appreciated.

And while I know this isn't the forum for this question, but does anybody bother going Stage 1 on these cars? It seems pointless to drop $700 on a Cobb AP for 0.4 hp and 6/7 ft lbs tq, but maybe thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyWRXY987 View Post
    GN's are sicccccccck the spool sounds ridiculous yeah stage 1 is a joke on a subaru go stage 2 most of us do!
    Haha, yes they do have quite the spooling sound, especially with some mods

So I understand what most people are saying about just going to stage 2 because that's not a big deal and it's a noticeable gain for these cars, but my question is whether or not as a "temp" I look into an open-map solution for going Stage 1? Has anyone ever seen good results out of these on an otherwise stock 06 wrx? Thx guys

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyWRXY987 View Post
    Oh please.

If you actually put any thought into it you'd realize that ECU reflashes on an otherwise stock car (ie stage 1) is not done for power. It's done for driveability by smoothing out the powerband.

That being said, $700 for an AP is a waste of money when you can get a custom tune with OpenSource for nothing more than the cost of the tune itself.

Wrinklechops
    State 1 for an '06 from COBB:

Stage 1 for Stock Vehicles. 91 octane fuel. 255HP (+11%)/ 300lb-ft (+28%)

That's impressive man all that torque just from a Stage 1 upgrade?

Hey all -

Noobs buy the Cobb AP. A few years back before open source (romraider) was widely embraced - Cobb was the best option, prior to that - Turbo XS and Vishnu.

Stand alones are available, though not required unless you're looking to do some high power applications and want to augment your tuning with some niche features not possible with the stock ecu.

And now a nice description I found regarding the GN - I wanted one when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by some site
    Then the 1986 Grand National rolled up, told the footnotes to get stuffed, and barked second as it peeled away. The only mechanical difference between the '86 Grand National and the previous year was the addition of an air-to-air intercooler, and it's a difference that changed the car from an also-ran into the business. Power went to 235 horses, torque went to 330 lb-ft, and Chevrolet's marketing department went ape****. The 1986 Grand National was now more powerful than any American car on the market, violating GM's long-standing rule that nothing ever was allowed to outgun the Corvette. Buick's pandering "official" estimate had the car running high 15s but trapping at 97.3mph, which in the real world puts the Grand National deep into 14-second quarters.
    motivemagazine.com - Motive Retro Review: 1987 Buick Grand National
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Wrinklechops
    Noobs buy the Cobb AP. A few years back before open source (romraider) was widely embraced - Cobb was the best option, prior to that - Turbo XS and Vishnu.
    Only problem I'm having is that I have a Mac, and I can't run any tuner software whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Only problem I'm having is that I have a Mac, and I can't run any tuner software whatsoever
    bootcamp - windows

buy an open box laptop from best buy and use it for 30 days then return it

borrow a laptop from a friend

there are options
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    bootcamp - windows

buy an open box laptop from best buy and use it for 30 days then return it

borrow a laptop from a friend

there are options
    Buy one from Best Buy and then return it "what was wrong with it?" "nothing, I just need to tune my car real quick, thanks!"

But yea, you're right, there are options. Think I'm gonna have to run Windows on this here Mac like you said with boot camp or something like it

Honestly what i would do is just ditch the POS Mac and get a real computer. i.e (IBM format)

just my $0.02

oh yeah my laptop died this last weekend but all up and running and better before, u can't fix a mac it just dies and thats it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Everyone knocks pretty hard on the Accessport, but I personally believe it's a clean, well made system. In addition, all of the recent firmware updates make it completely worthwhile.

I also like the fact that since my car went in for a warranty repair for the key-fobs not working, I drove the car to the dealership on my pro-tune map, changed it back to the factory map, got the car fixed, picked it up and changed back to my pro-tune map with no hassles, no using my laptop, no nothing...

Plus, I really like, and use the gas mileage feature incessantly, and it's improved my driving 10-fold for city.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Oh please.

If you actually put any thought into it you'd realize that ECU reflashes on an otherwise stock car (ie stage 1) is not done for power. It's done for driveability by smoothing out the powerband.
    OK, apparently I need to put more thought into it.

I can't believe people started knockin mac's in my first thread! Mac-owner here and to all those who say get a "real" computer, I'll take the fact that I can run a virtual machine version of Windows on my MacBook Pro better than it runs on my Windows-native laptop. I think there's just a little bit of jealousy from those unlucky people who have never actually sat down and used a Mac. LOL and love the best buy return idea, gotta love how best buy lets you return anything and everything no matter what!

Thanks for the other input from all those about the AP versus a custom open-source tune, I think I'll look into the latter for that whole "better driveability" thing.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    OK, apparently I need to put more thought into it.
    This is why people flash their cars with stage 1 (it's a baseline dyno run on a stock WRX):

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.