From Turbo Buick to WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on From Turbo Buick to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by vttk_mig69 Honestly what i would do is just ditch the POS Mac and get a real computer. ...

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by vttk_mig69 View Post
    Honestly what i would do is just ditch the POS Mac and get a real computer. i.e (IBM format)

just my $0.02

oh yeah my laptop died this last weekend but all up and running and better before, u can't fix a mac it just dies and thats it.
    What do you mean a Mac dies and you can't fix it? Maybe you're referring to the 1990's Macs? Lol. Have you taken a look at a Mac product lately? I used to hate them man, and I swore by my PC. But one day I got so sick of maintaining it and running virus and spyware software all the time, and defragging my hd and running system checks, etc... and the blue screen of death! So I got a Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB ram and i haven't looked back since. The Mac OS is amazing and certainly not a POS.

And if for some odd reason my Mac did die, I'd just take it back to Apple and they'd fix it or I'd get a new one, for free. 3 Year warranty :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinUpGN View Post
    OK, apparently I need to put more thought into it.

I can't believe people started knockin mac's in my first thread! Mac-owner here and to all those who say get a "real" computer, I'll take the fact that I can run a virtual machine version of Windows on my MacBook Pro better than it runs on my Windows-native laptop. I think there's just a little bit of jealousy from those unlucky people who have never actually sat down and used a Mac. LOL and love the best buy return idea, gotta love how best buy lets you return anything and everything no matter what!

Thanks for the other input from all those about the AP versus a custom open-source tune, I think I'll look into the latter for that whole "better driveability" thing.
    +1 Macs rock. I'm not saying PC sucks entirely, but obviously Macs are far removed from the "suck" section. You don't have to believe me, but just try one... you probably won't want to go back to Windows. And yea, being able to run Windows OS is a huge plus, and that's what I'll do to run any tuner software, then I'll switch back over to my Mac OS

Anyways, back to the subject at hand and not computer talk...

I've run OSX on a PC - I don't like the GUI or the OS.

My primary OS is Vista and secondary is Mint(linux), which is just a modified Ubuntu(which is a modified Debian).

The biggest problem with Apple is the "Apple Tax".
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I've run OSX on a PC - I don't like the GUI or the OS.

My primary OS is Vista and secondary is Mint(linux), which is just a modified Ubuntu(which is a modified Debian).

The biggest problem with Apple is the "Apple Tax".
    You mean it costs more? Of course it does... so does a brand new sports car. You can tweak your regular car to out-perform that brand new sports car, but which is going to have more appeal? Just my opinion...

And how did you run OSX on a PC?

So you like Vista? Which one of the 4 versions do you have? I've heard of people getting so annoyed with it they just go back to XP. That's not good Microsoft! lol

PCs are fine if you know what you're doing and can tweak it to your liking. The fact that you can run stuff like Linux on it is also a plus. Again, you have to know what you're doing. I knew what I was doing, I just got tired of it. It's like having a car you constantly have put oil in every time you fill up on gas. Sort of drains on you after a while...and is an indication something isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    And how did you run OSX on a PC?

So you like Vista? Which one of the 4 versions do you have? I've heard of people getting so annoyed with it they just go back to XP. That's not good Microsoft! lol

PCs are fine if you know what you're doing and can tweak it to your liking. The fact that you can run stuff like Linux on it is also a plus. Again, you have to know what you're doing. I knew what I was doing, I just got tired of it. It's like having a car you constantly have put oil in every time you fill up on gas. Sort of drains on you after a while...and is an indication something isn't right.
    Once a year - MS drops the TechNet price to $150 instead of $300. Technet allows you 5 copies of every OS and major application made by Microsoft for personal evaluation use. I run Vista Ultimate on my home desktop and 17" notebook. I also have a 12" Tablet that runs Vista Home just fine. Thanks to Technet, I have all the Microsoft Apps I need - legally. Most people who work in IT are aware of Technet and many will share an account between a few friends since most people don't need 5 copies of something, just 1. In my case, I have multiple computers so it's worth it.

Booting OSX up on a PC is not hard. Any torrent site should have all the files you need. There's also a great number of sites which have walkthroughs to help. Apple is rumored to have a netbook in the works because they feel they are missing out on the "cheapy netbook market".

The ultimate OSX on PC guide

YouTube - MSI Wind OSX Install HD

For me, the applications available to Windows make it a clear winner. I also work for a backup software company and our supported server platforms are Windows(NT, 2k, 2k3, 2k8) Unix, Solaris, MVS, Netware, RH ES Linux, AIX, HPUX, and Tru64. The bulk of our customers are running Windows servers for most of their enviornment. OSX is only supported as a client.

Apple makes stuff that looks very nice, and they are now using x86 hardware - same as PC's have for years. They currently use EFI instead of BIOS.
    Last edited by Micah; 03-13-2009 at 08:08 PM.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    You mean it costs more? Of course it does... so does a brand new sports car. You can tweak your regular car to out-perform that brand new sports car, but which is going to have more appeal? Just my opinion...
    While the Apple might look nicer. It doesn't perform any faster than a PC in the same price range. Heck from what I've seen Apples don't perform any better even against a PC with the same hardware (CPU/RAM/GPU). That makes the Apple tax hard to rationalize.

All show and no go makes baby jebus cry.

Wrinklechops
    I like my Mac...... lol

theres a reason bill gates lost over $25billion dollars last year. ive seen a ton of people pay $15 to go from vista back to xp. i use both mac and pc because some things arent mac compatible, but i LOVE not having to maintain my mac and constantly worry about keeping it virus free, esp. since i d/l constantly. and as for the accessport, i love mine especially after the new firmware updates. the best thing about it is the realtime tuning because it takes so little time my tuner charges me half price for tuning.

forget this computer crap, we wanna know if the man had a prized GNX?
    ****PHOTOSHOP SKILLS THAT PAY THE BILLS****

Thumbs up

Nay, not a GNX, but a nicely built 1987 GN, JE pistons, ported and polished heads, nitrated crank, 206/206 cam, 70mm throttle body, 50# injectors, reinforced main caps, cut crank 10/10, built tranny, and a big TURBO !!!!!

Mack

Quote Originally Posted by BOOOSTIN View Post
    forget this computer crap, we wanna know if the man had a prized GNX?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Everyone knocks pretty hard on the Accessport, but I personally believe it's a clean, well made system. In addition, all of the recent firmware updates make it completely worthwhile.

I also like the fact that since my car went in for a warranty repair for the key-fobs not working, I drove the car to the dealership on my pro-tune map, changed it back to the factory map, got the car fixed, picked it up and changed back to my pro-tune map with no hassles, no using my laptop, no nothing...
    Opensource has a alot of tuning tools Cobb doesn't have.Also Opensource now has map switching........no lap needed.
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Opensource has a alot of tuning tools Cobb doesn't have.Also Opensource now has map switching........no lap needed.
    yea honestly, i wouldn't mind going opensource now that i know more about it. the accessport makes things really easy but its just a little too expensive. dont get me wrong, i love mine i use it often, especially since it now does datalogs and my tuner got his cobb tuning software. but im also not going to be doing tune after tune so the accessport works for me. if i was going to be tuning my car often then i might go opensource, and who knows, maybe ill get tired of my protune, sell my accessport and get with romraider

Haha, this turned out to be one interesting thread.

In response to BOOOSTIN, no unfortunately I didn't have a GNX either. I think if I had moved from a GNX I might be on the Audi R8 forums. It was, however, a 1-owner GN that my stepfather bought brand new in '87, so that was somewhat special about it.

Oh and Micah - the Apple Tax can be ridiculous. I agree with that 100%, but I'm surprised you didn't find OSX to be pleasing, it is based off of UNIX like Ubuntu and other Linux-oriented operating systems. And while I have a PC myself and use Windows frequently, there's just no denying that OSX is faaaaaaaaar more stable than Vista, I think that's all anyone here that is a Mac fan like myself is trying to say.

Thanks to all for your input again on the AP idea, maybe it would be worth buying a used one. I'll have to check out the marketplace and see if used ones are reasonable.
    2006 WRX .:. 5-Speed .:. Silver Metallic

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinUpGN View Post
    Thanks to all for your input again on the AP idea, maybe it would be worth buying a used one. I'll have to check out the marketplace and see if used ones are reasonable.
    Make double sure if you buy used that the unit you purchase is unmarried -- that is, not paired to a specific car (from the seller).

Favourite operating systems for me:

1. IBM OS/2 v4 "Merlin"
    2. OSX
    3. Vista 64
    4. Linux

Yes, I like Vista -- certainly more than Linux at this point. Weird, eh? And yes, OS/2 is still my all-time no. 1 operating system for a PC (or a Mac -- although IBM never did follow through with that promise).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12