Does the WRX have a faster launch than the STI?

This is a discussion on Does the WRX have a faster launch than the STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Is it me or is 03 Rex faster from the start line than a 05 STI (both are stock)? My ...

Question Does the WRX have a faster launch than the STI?

Is it me or is 03 Rex faster from the start line than a 05 STI (both are stock)?
    My recently purchased 05 STI feels a little slower when launching compared to the 03 Rex that I used to have. Although, once I get into 3rd gear the Rex has nothing on this STI. Anyway, I'm just looking for other people's thoughts about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gearing on sti and wrx are completely different, maybe your not launching right?]

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    are you launching at the same RPMs?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Only thing I can think of is that with the STI's higher gearing you generally have to shift into 3rd before you hit 60mph. The extra shift may give you the impression that you're losing some time over the WRX which will go past 60mph in 2nd. Although, given that the '03 WRX you had was stock, I don't see how it will be faster than the STI assuming that your launches are similarly aggressive in both cars.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I haven't been aggressive at all when launching with the STI since I'm still new to it. When I first got my 03 WRX, I remember how it would "jerk" forward as soon as I put it into 1st gear and it took me a little time to learn to slowly ease off the clutch and slowly apply gas so that it wouldn't "jerk" forward again when starting.
    With my 05 STI, I've been using the same practice of easing off on the clutch and applying some gas at the same time. If I apply a little more gas than usual when easing off on the clutch than the STI feels like it wants to take off without me.
    Anyway, perhaps I'm doing something wrong when going into 1st gear so I'd be happy to get some advice on properly taking off. Mind you, I'm not new to manual trannies, but I am new to driving cars of this caliber.