Hey guys

This is a discussion on Hey guys within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm new to the forum. I don't have a wrx yet but I am absolutely in love with them. I ...

Hey guys

I'm new to the forum. I don't have a wrx yet but I am absolutely in love with them. I guess I should mention I'm a 17 year old kid who has big dreams. I've been saving for a while now and hopefully I will be able to buy one by the end of summer '09.

I don't know if this is the right place to post but I have some quesitons about the car.

How is the 2.0 wrx engine vs. 2.5 sti engine in reliability?

If I were to get a wrx with 40k-50k miles on, when could I expect my first major repair (timing belt..stuff like that) if any?

Which years have less problems...04-05 wrx or 06-07 wrx?
    The first thing your gonna say is 17 and a car like that. Ha i know. My friend has one and his insurance is $2500 a year . So that means I gotta save my pennies but I am very interested in these cars. I love them!

--Lenny

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hey lenny. i got my wrx [brand new from the dealer] when i was 17 years old so its not that farfetched.

my insurance has been about 130 a month since i got her, and dropped down to a 100 now. it really just depends on your policy, record, etc. you should for sure call your insurance company and get a quote though

How is the 2.0 wrx engine vs. 2.5 sti engine in reliability?
    keep in mind, the 2.0 engine was only in the wrx until 2006. that's when they threw in the 2.5L for us. as far as reliability- i dont think one is any better than the other. a car will be as reliable as you make it. take care of it, and it will take care of you regardless of engine size! when it comes to modification though- i'd go with the 2.5L as its easier to make power

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I guess that is truely the only way to figure out the insurance. I was talking to a guy who's had 2 wrx's and an sti and he told me that even if I can find an sti the insurance would be through the roof and that sti's also have a lot more parts so more things to go wrong. I need a reliable car as it will be my transportation to and from college from my house.

When I go to look. What are the most important things to look for/ ask the dealer or previous owner? I really liked the 04-05 but the 06-07 is growing on me.

And as far as upgrades go, do you need to purchase the Cobb access port? I think the first things I would do to the car is cat back exhaust, down pipe (invidia, love how they sound) cold air intake, and the STi spoiler and after that rims and tires. Is there a normaly way to start upgrading a wrx like certain steps on whee to start?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    first step is research research research. your mod list sounds like youre on the right path so it seems like you have been reading up a bit anyway, but these should help:

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

Purchasing Tips

as far as the accessport, you dont NEED one. you can get a custom tune from someone in your area, or you can download one off the internet. i personally have the AP because i got a good deal on it and for what i needed it to do- it worked fine.

Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Tuner FAQ: How to pick one, what to ask of them, and how to prepare for a tune - NASIOC

as far as where to start- thats completely up to you.
    if you want to take a look here:
    Abbigale: desiree marie's COBB stage II wrx - Chuluota, Florida
    i have my mod path listed and dated in the order that i did everything. that might give you an idea. its just a matter of what you want to do first, and what you can afford to do at the time.

other good reads:

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

welcome to the site.....

Wow. Thank you for all the info. I definitely have a lot to read! By the way your car is so clean. I love the blue and gold combo!