Are blow off valves bad for the turbo????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are blow off valves bad for the turbo???? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i recently went to an all suby shop... and asked the guy he said bov's are not good for the ...

Arrow Are blow off valves bad for the turbo????

i recently went to an all suby shop... and asked the guy he said bov's are not good for the turbo and motor i was wondering if it was because i really wana get a bov, can somone explain to me y its bad or if its not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 06stibeast View Post
    i recently went to an all suby shop... and asked the guy he said bov's are not good for the turbo and motor i was wondering if it was because i really wana get a bov, can somone explain to me y its bad or if its not?
    It is not necessary to get a BOV unless you are making 400whp or more. Plus a vent to atmosphere BOV is just a waste of your b00st! However with some mods you could get a fully recirc BOV.. however again you will need to get a tune otherwise the BOV will mess up your factory maps. You will most likely run very lean with a BOV w/out a tune. I know they sound mean... but without a tune you will lose power and your motor will hate life lol. Have fun..

^^^ where do you figure over 400hp to need a bov? the only time you would need to change the stock bpv really is if your boosting over 20psi.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Being that I am making 23 psi and over 400hp... that is where I got that from.. I was trying to keep it simple just to supply an answer... perhaps next time I will write a book...

Quote Originally Posted by NjBuGeyEdWRX View Post
    ^^^ where do you figure over 400hp to need a bov? the only time you would need to change the stock bpv really is if your boosting over 20psi.

+1. Horsepower has nothing to do with needing a different BOV. It's the PSI your running.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If your BOV is set improperly you can get compressor surge.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB00st3d08
    It is not necessary to get a BOV unless you are making 400whp or more. Plus a vent to atmosphere BOV is just a waste of your b00st! However with some mods you could get a fully recirc BOV.. however again you will need to get a tune otherwise the BOV will mess up your factory maps. You will most likely run very lean with a BOV w/out a tune. I know they sound mean... but without a tune you will lose power and your motor will hate life lol. Have fun..
    1) You can't tune a BOV without a relocation of the MAF.

2) An upgraded BOV/BPV has nothing to do with the power you are making, but the boost pressure. Very few people exceed the limitations of the OEM valve with the stock turbo.

3) As long as the BOV is working/setup properly, the only time you will see any skewing of the AFR is between shifts (when the valve vents to atmosphere), and it will skew them rich for a very short amount of time, but nothing that will make your motor pop.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I learned a lot in your reply right here LOL

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    1) You can't tune a BOV without a relocation of the MAF.

2) An upgraded BOV/BPV has nothing to do with the power you are making, but the boost pressure. Very few people exceed the limitations of the OEM valve with the stock turbo.

3) As long as the BOV is working/setup properly, the only time you will see any skewing of the AFR is between shifts (when the valve vents to atmosphere), and it will skew them rich for a very short amount of time, but nothing that will make your motor pop.

Guys seriously relax

Drive your cars and have some fun...

Lifes to short to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    I learned a lot in your reply right here LOL

so i already purchased a cobb access port would that be the tune i would need for a bov? because with the stage 2 and a turboback exhaust it said on cobbtuning.com that with 91 octane i would put out about 360whp and 385lbft. would it be necessary then?

Quote Originally Posted by PJB00st3d08 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 06stibeast View Post
    so i already purchased a cobb access port would that be the tune i would need for a bov? because with the stage 2 and a turboback exhaust it said on cobbtuning.com that with 91 octane i would put out about 360whp and 385lbft. would it be necessary then?
    I'm guessing you have a STi? And its HP now WHP, and no, still no need for a BOV.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

don't get the blow off valve, its not necessary. All its going to do is make your car jerky and run rich between shifts. The first thing i think when i hear a bov on a wrx/sti: awwww whyyyy

I thought it was cool and all when i had my little hks ssqv bov, then i took it off and felt the difference. Alot of times the bov can leak, making your car run lean or rough....and then its just a big mess

IMO, you dont need a BOV unless you NEED a bov

alright thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    don't get the blow off valve, its not necessary. All its going to do is make your car jerky and run rich between shifts. The first thing i think when i hear a bov on a wrx/sti: awwww whyyyy

I thought it was cool and all when i had my little hks ssqv bov, then i took it off and felt the difference. Alot of times the bov can leak, making your car run lean or rough....and then its just a big mess

IMO, you dont need a BOV unless you NEED a bov

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.