New 09 WRX (before and after)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 09 WRX (before and after) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I actually got my 09 dark grey metallic wagon a couple months ago: I've done a bunch of stuff to ...

New 09 WRX (before and after) - updates 02OCT09

I actually got my 09 dark grey metallic wagon a couple months ago:

I've done a bunch of stuff to it so far:
    Window Tint by Underground Audio in Springfield, VA. - They just happen to be down the road from where I work- but they did a good job. The tint naturally works with the dark grey color

Center Armrest Extension - didn't seem like much at first, then when I started to use it I realized how clever it is. It's only a few inches, but it really does make a difference and let's my arm rest between shifts

All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray - Dealer had an extra set he threw in. Rear passenger floor mat does NOT fit properly - I can't recommend them. I am ordering Husky Liners now

Fog Lamp Kit - Doesn't seem like it's working until you actually get into the fog!

Wheel Mounted Audio Controls - This is not available in any parts catalog. I had the service tech. Look up the parts list from the WRX premium, and had them install the parts. My only real complaint about the standard WRX is that it does not come with steering wheel mounted audio controls. Sheehy Subaru tech did not index my steering wheel properly on re-installation

SPT / STI Short Shifter and Carbon Fiber Shift Knob - The rubbery Impreza shifter, with its econo-box roots - is a little at odds with the spirit of a sports car. I wouldn't say it's "shorter" shifting, just crisper, more precise. I def notice it more on the way back down through gears

SPT Billet Aluminum Battery Hold-Down - Simple replacement

SPT Billet Aluminum Oil Filler Cap - You have to remove the stock seal and re-use it, which is sort of a pain

ROTA "Boost" Rims - I went with the stock fitment (17X8). "Wheel gap" is a non-issue for me - I don't see why people freak out about it so much. I chose the bronze color for the subtle difference versus my dark grey metallic car. They ran my car (less than 1000 miles on the odometer) into the shop truck on the way out of Mach V, so I have to go back so they can buff out the scratches- Update: After making me drive all the way out there twice they finally buffed out the scratches - there is still a small one...

RallyArmor Mud Flaps - I had to try to keep kicking up road debris into my paper thin doors. I think they look good- they seem to be working

Side Molding Protection - Simple, 45 min install. Wait for a nice day, take your time and use the supplied templates. I like what it did to the lines of the car, actually

Hatch Rear Bumper Cover - Simple, ten min. install. Arrows on the bumper make it an easy task

Sport Grille - Did wonders for the look of the car - no more Honda Civic SI grille on my WRX!

SPT Boost Gauge -
    Took it to Sheehy Subaru after getting the kit from GenuineSubaruParts.com to have it installed- the tech did a TERRIBLE job and tried to blame the part. The tech did not seem to read the directions at all and at first he tried to mount the part to the steering column (?). After two days I got may car back and it seriously looked like a six-year-old installed it. The install was so bad I'm not even going to put pictures up - (it was TORE up- he took a dremel to the mount for some strange reason and didn't even bother to try to smooth out his amaturish cuts). I was so pissed I ordered myself a new dash hood and one of those fancy Autometer gauge cups in Carbon Fiber. Using the template from the directions (they were intact because Sheehy didn't bother to even look at the intructions so I still had them) the whole thing took me about 1/2 hour. I actually prefer the cup without the "sun hood" that the SPT came with, and I think the autometer cup look much more "hot Rod" look. Here are a few pics. I turned the flash on in a few so you can see the carbon weave (please forgive the poor pic quality)-

Clarion NX509 in-dash Navi- could not be happier!

Had it installed by J& L audio in Springfield, VA and they did a great job. All you audio and car stereo people that tear your hair out over this stuff- sorry, no amp, bass thingy under the seat or any of that stuff. I did get the ipod adapter which does charge my ipod touch, unlike the OEM one.

Carbon Fiber Alt. Cover by Carbign Craft - I thought the stock on looked chinzy so I got this after seeing it in Subiesport on that orange WRX-

SPT Upper and Lower Strut Braces - I'm not usually taken in by "seat-of-the-pants" upgrades, but these braces (I didn't think to take a pic of the one underneath) do, in fact, make a difference., They are both a snap to install. Here's the upper one in any event-

SPT Cat back - What can I say? Doesn't void the warranty and sounds much meaner than stock - dubious performance gains - I was thinking about the K&N Typhoon cold air intake...but what I'm seeing im most forums is that you can have either or, but not BOTH as far as CAI and aftermarket mufflers- the combo requires a tune- which voids the warranty

Anyways, here how it looks now -

Last edited by TheCrusher; 10-02-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: additional text

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks good man, keep up the work!
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

Good Pics !! Can you get one of the boost gauge ? I'd like to check it out. Also, feelin' the rims but you gotta lower the vehicle - lil' bit. Nice set up overall. Thought of painting the calipers ?
    08 wrx sedan Stage II Perrin map, Perrin DP, Magnaflow cbe, Cobb sts & bushings, Perrin strut bar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusher View Post

IPod adapter - Works well with my IPod Nano, but does NOT recharge my new IPod touch. I've sent an email and snail mail to Subaru of America. For the price in parts and labor I pair I will have the product working as advertised.
    You can actually blame Apple for this one. I have the same problem as you do.

Subaru Engineering

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome & nice lookin 09 scooby hatch
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by FYTRWRX View Post
    You can actually blame Apple for this one. I have the same problem as you do.

Subaru Engineering

The new series of Ipods will not work with the adapter. My wife has the adapter in her 08 and her new nano won't charge when plugged in. It has something to do with how the new Ipods recharge. I saw a forum either on here or nasioc.com that explains the whole thing.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    The new series of Ipods will not work with the adapter. My wife has the adapter in her 08 and her new nano won't charge when plugged in. It has something to do with how the new Ipods recharge. I saw a forum either on here or nasioc.com that explains the whole thing.

If you go to the link I posted, down at the bottom it explains how Apple changed their charging protocols. Subaru says their working on it, but, it sounds like that when they figure it out, those of us with the problem right now won't have a fix and only those purchasing new interface kits will be able to charge their ipods.

I Support ClubWRX
    stupid 3g i-phone wont either..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by M2KS View Post
    !! Can you get one of the boost gauge ? I'd like to check it out. Also, feelin' the rims but you gotta lower the vehicle - lil' bit. Nice set up overall. Thought of painting the calipers ?
    The Susp. stays as it is for now - - I may add the strut braces later, but like I said - I've no problems with the vehicles "stance"...as far as the calipers...I was thinking about getting the caliper painting kit...is it a whole complicated thing?? I don't want it to look sloppy..I'll take a better pic of the boost gauge soon...but that may be a whole post onto itself
    Last edited by TheCrusher; 04-03-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: mis-spel

Looks good!
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Very nice!

thats a good lookin wrx

Nice, very nice. To complete the exterior I would recommend a muffler tip extension. This has a double function, underbumper protection and sportier look.

I have a silver 2009 WRX and I immediately noticed that tip too deep under the bumper, concerns about toasting arised...and comments about how you couldn't see it from the sides or close to the car.

Took it to a muffler shop recommended by the dealer and indicated to extend until flush with the top curve of the bumper cut. Excellent and meticulous tech guy. He measured and immediately noticed a straitght extension wasn't good because the exhaust comes with a curve and you would have to cut too close to the tip nut for a straight line.

He used a stainless steel matching pipe and angled correctly for the middle position and juuust a bit up; used electric welding. He didn't exactly matched the upper end, but said it was a better OEM look.

I don't have pics yet, but it definetely looks better, you can see some of it from the left and a lot more from the rear. Just what it should be.

makes me wanna go out and buy a new sti darn economy
    The Professor
    Bugeye Mafioso #209

nice ride looks good. i might have to get the information on the steering wheel later look like a good mod to have done 09 base model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast