new to the subie world
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new to the subie world within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i'm picking up a 2002 wrx tomorrow. it has a few mods to it already but we'll see what ...

new to the subie world

so i'm picking up a 2002 wrx tomorrow. it has a few mods to it already but we'll see what else i can/want to do with it. as for being 2002, should there be anything that they are notorious for? any problems i should watch out for?

thanks
    randall

p.s. current mods are upgraded turbo, fuel injectors, exhaust, cobb tuning accessport, carbon fiber hood, front mounted intercooler, intake, and fuel pump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NJO
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    so i'm picking up a 2002 wrx tomorrow. it has a few mods to it already but we'll see what else i can/want to do with it. as for being 2002, should there be anything that they are notorious for? any problems i should watch out for?

thanks
    randall

p.s. current mods are upgraded turbo, fuel injectors, exhaust, cobb tuning accessport, carbon fiber hood, front mounted intercooler, intake, and fuel pump.
    id be careful buying that, an 02 with those mods can make a good amount of power that the tranny cant handle, not trying to bring you down or anyhting but you can rip apart a tranny very easy with those mods. if it has a new tranny then thats a good thing, but if it is a stock tranny id 1- be sure the car was driven/takin care of nicely and 2- make sure you drive it carefully.
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

thanks, i'll be sure to definitely ask about that. i told they guy if while test driving it, i hear anything wrong at all, i'm not going to buy it.

+1 I don't know if I would buy a heavily modded car like that. Find out about that tranny!
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

NJO
    thanks, i'll be sure to definitely ask about that. i told they guy if while test driving it, i hear anything wrong at all, i'm not going to buy it.
    ya, once again im not trying to bring you down or anything, but im trying make sure your aware of everyhting, so you can have the best SUBARU experience possible! but the 02 tranny is probably the weakest of the USDM WRX trannys. mine the 03 is not to strong either, they all get a little stronger but they still arent good, my car is stage 2 (i have intake, ACCESSPORT, and turbo back exhaust) and it makes me nervouse to punch it... i would really re-consider and think about saving and buying an STi or a Stock-unabused WRX. i dont know what your paying but you can find low mileage 02-03s stock for 11k-14k easy
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

i'm actually paying only 8k for it. i'm also getting all the stock parts just in case i want to go back to stock. and i wouldn't punch it until i know for a fact myself that it will be able to handle it.

thank you for your caring input.

DUB
    i'm actually paying only 8k for it. i'm also getting all the stock parts just in case i want to go back to stock. and i wouldn't punch it until i know for a fact myself that it will be able to handle it.

thank you for your caring input.
    That's a pretty good price. How many miles.

I, too, vote don't buy it. Find a nice stock one and mod it yourself.

it has 91k miles

it has 91k miles
    Yikes! I wouldn't recommend it man, highly modded and high mileage = a big no no.
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

DUB
    Not bad.

But, that is a heavily modded 6 year old car. There could be a reason it's going cheap. You may be getting yourself into a can of worms.

even if its been modded for a year? not even 10k miles with the mods. the previous owners babied it for the first 80k miles

even if its been modded for a year? not even 10k miles with the mods. the previous owners babied it for the first 80k miles
    Ehh, nah not me I wouldn't that's just my .02 though.
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

DUB
    It's your call man.

But if it was me, I would find a completely stock one in the latest model year with the lowest miles I could afford.

Actually, it was me and that is what I did.

I'm not saying you are guaranteed to get screwed if you buy this car, it's just that the risks are greater. If you are prepared to accept the elevated risk, dive in.

Have an independent mechanic who knows Subarus look at it and see what he/she has to say.

thanks for your input and concern. 8k is all i have to spend on a car and i talked this guy down from 10k. and yes if i do end up getting it, i will have it checked out to make sure there is nothing wrong with it that i over looked. i'm fairly good with inspecting cars and listening for certain sounds. and at most, i can just put the stock parts back on. i'll have a final decision tomorrow. i want a wrx but not gonna buy a bogus one, i know what to look for, for the most part. again, thanks for all your input.

thanks for your input and concern. 8k is all i have to spend on a car and i talked this guy down from 10k. and yes if i do end up getting it, i will have it checked out to make sure there is nothing wrong with it that i over looked. i'm fairly good with inspecting cars and listening for certain sounds. and at most, i can just put the stock parts back on. i'll have a final decision tomorrow. i want a wrx but not gonna buy a bogus one, i know what to look for, for the most part. again, thanks for all your input.
    No problem! Make sure you ask about that tranny! If its stock, don't beat it!
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast