gas mileage
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on gas mileage within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i went and picked up my 03 wrx yesterday. its so much better than the celica i had before ...

gas mileage

so i went and picked up my 03 wrx yesterday. its so much better than the celica i had before it lol. but today when i filled up i had only got about 20 mpg. is that normal? i didnt drive it all that hard so i thought it should be better. it has a 3 inch TBE and a cai. dunno if that would make a difference. is that the mpg i should expect?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyrooftw View Post
    so i went and picked up my 03 wrx yesterday. its so much better than the celica i had before it lol. but today when i filled up i had only got about 20 mpg. is that normal? i didnt drive it all that hard so i thought it should be better. it has a 3 inch TBE and a cai. dunno if that would make a difference. is that the mpg i should expect?
    if it's an 03, there may have been some neglected maintenance. Every car is going to be different, but there are a few things that will improve your gas mileage. Air-pressure in tires, air filter change/cleaning, possibly injector cleaner, etc..

Stage 2 with a good protune actually helps too surprisingly. Most people don't see the increase because they drive like idiots with a tuned car.

Personally I see 17-20 city (lower than avg) and 30-32 hwy in good traffic (higher than avg). Changing your driving habits and staying below 3k rpms when you shift and above 1800 rpms when cruising will help too!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wish I could get 20 mpg.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I wish I could get 20 mpg.....
    where're u at?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

NJO
    i have a stage 2 03 wrx wagon, if i shift at 18k as much as possible i cant get 25-27... but unfortunatly its hard to drive like that ALL the time so i usually end up getting 22-23.
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJO View Post
    i have a stage 2 03 wrx wagon, if i shift at 18k as much as possible i cant get 25-27... but unfortunatly its hard to drive like that ALL the time so i usually end up getting 22-23.

NJO
    im very satisfied, especially with only being able to put premium in it, and im picky and only put chevron in (i know everyone says its all the same, but trust me ive pulled apart plenty of engines... its not all the same), and i have to drive alot everyday. the bummer will be when i have my perrin tmic, blouch dominator, 850cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, and track friendly STi RA gears... gas mileage will be next to none.
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

I Support ClubWRX
    im very satisfied, especially with only being able to put premium in it, and im picky and only put chevron in (i know everyone says its all the same, but trust me ive pulled apart plenty of engines... its not all the same), and i have to drive alot everyday. the bummer will be when i have my perrin tmic, blouch dominator, 850cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, and track friendly STi RA gears... gas mileage will be next to none.
    The RA gears will screw gas up, but tuned vehicles usually get way better mileage as long as you stay out of boost! You ever hear of a stock WRX getting 33.6 at 75mph on the hwys of utah? And I've got a vf39 tuned to 18.0 psi
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

NJO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The RA gears will screw gas up, but tuned vehicles usually get way better mileage as long as you stay out of boost! You ever hear of a stock WRX getting 33.6 at 75mph on the hwys of utah? And I've got a vf39 tuned to 18.0 psi
    ya they will, but i would rather spend more on gas than replacing tranny parts every week. and i hadnt heard of that, but i drove my moms 2001 e39 BMW 530i to vegas from SLC and got a solid 36mpg going between 65 and 90. and thats a 3 liter i6! i just hope when my cars all done i can get around 17ish... but i am going to buy another car for a dd... such as a geo metro 1 liter i3, how can you goo wrong with gas mileage? and the ladies love it.
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback

I Support ClubWRX
    ya they will, but i would rather spend more on gas than replacing tranny parts every week. and i hadnt heard of that, but i drove my moms 2001 e39 BMW 530i to vegas from SLC and got a solid 36mpg going between 65 and 90. and thats a 3 liter i6! i just hope when my cars all done i can get around 17ish... but i am going to buy another car for a dd... such as a geo metro 1 liter i3, how can you goo wrong with gas mileage? and the ladies love it.
    there are better options than RA for not dropping gears IMO, but if you really want those close ratios in a wagon, then more power to you!
    Last edited by Sinister; 02-24-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: double double redundancy redundancy
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

M16
    I get about 18 mpg in the city, and I usually shift at 3500 rpm..its a habit, and sometimes I shift at 5000 rpm, when Im in a hurry... I have an 08 WRX.

20MPG sounds about right.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    where're u at?
    15-16 mpg city
    18 mpg highway

Without romping it.

I hit just under 20 mpg on a long highway road trip.

I Support ClubWRX
    15-16 mpg city
    18 mpg highway

Without romping it.

I hit just under 20 mpg on a long highway road trip.
    ouch... That's pretty rough!

How do you like your hybrid td06?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not fast enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.