I have an Audi, but want a WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I have an Audi, but want a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im new here. I dont even own a Wrx, but i figured this would be the best place to ask ...

I have an Audi, but want a WRX

Im new here. I dont even own a Wrx, but i figured this would be the best place to ask questions i had before i purchased one. I have a 96 audi a4, although its luxury is one of a kind, so are its maintaince and repair fees. Im only 18 and am tired of paying so much for repairs and such. The car has 183k on the clock and im getting rid of it asap. My friend has an 04 wrx and ive ridden in it and i love it. Im looking to get a 2002 wrx, but i have my questions on costs. I know subaru's are pretty reliable, but what are common things that go wrong with that model or all wrx's. What should i look for when buying specific to the car, not the normal rust, wear, tear and such. Also, how many miles is a safe bet to buy below that i could still get a good amount of use outa it. I dont know how long subarus last so im quite the newb. My brother has a forester and he has 175k but the auto tranny is slipping and has a good amount of rust appearing. Any and all information would be a great help. Thanks again. Look forward to staying on here and buying a wrx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you want an 02 make sure u find one with the least amount of miles on it but more important make sure you find out the maintenance records on it I/we all urge this. i bought my 02 without looking into the previous owner or maintenance records and spun a rod bearing 4 months after i bought it but i love this car i droped a new motor in her and my baby is doing great i got 31k on the motor and 118k on drivetrain and body. as for rust i have no visable rusting on the out side of the body and the under body looks pretty good to me.

oh, I forgot but Welcome to the club, and i think you will like the change.

Wrx noob

Welcome to the club....I would suggest going with an 03' 02' trannys dont have the best rep and seem to be weak compared to the 03's. I have a 03 and have never had trans or motor problems GOOD LUCK WITH THE SEARCH!
    No Sir I'm Sorry, but Tylenol cannot cure your herpes!

pics of the audi?

So an 03 over an 02. Also how long do the timing belts and all of that last, When should they be changed and such. heres some pics of the money pit.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...1/DSC01821.jpg
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...1/DSC01823.jpg

Timing Belt

To be honest I'd do it/ have it done every 30-40k depending on how u drive etc etc just to be safe that way it wiell prevent a engine replacement in the end...

damn thats quick. on Audi's and Mercs its like 80ish i think. Atleast thats what ive heard/seen people do.

obviously you can let them go longer I prefer not to just for my pputting my mind at ease knowing it was done you know what i mena but they can go 70-80k easily but PERSONALLY I wouldnt let them go that long....you know?

yeah i get what your saying for sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    If your replacing your timing belt every 30-40k your either throwin your money away or your replacing it with aftermarket crap. Sorry man, but Ive been a tech too long and I have yet to see a good factory timing belt go bad before 60k. I have seen 1 or 2 after 60 before 90k. WRX belts are a 90k belt. You will be fine running it for 6 years/90k miles.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Schwalbe181 View Post
    Im new here. I dont even own a Wrx, but i figured this would be the best place to ask questions i had before i purchased one. I have a 96 audi a4, although its luxury is one of a kind, so are its maintaince and repair fees. Im only 18 and am tired of paying so much for repairs and such. The car has 183k on the clock and im getting rid of it asap. My friend has an 04 wrx and ive ridden in it and i love it. Im looking to get a 2002 wrx, but i have my questions on costs. I know subaru's are pretty reliable, but what are common things that go wrong with that model or all wrx's. What should i look for when buying specific to the car, not the normal rust, wear, tear and such. Also, how many miles is a safe bet to buy below that i could still get a good amount of use outa it. I dont know how long subarus last so im quite the newb. My brother has a forester and he has 175k but the auto tranny is slipping and has a good amount of rust appearing. Any and all information would be a great help. Thanks again. Look forward to staying on here and buying a wrx.
    Schwalbe181 just wondering where you live? My best friend is selling his 2002 WRX. I believe the only aftermarket parts he has on the car is his Greddy exhaust. I could definately help you buy his car if you live anywhere near Houston.

Unfortunately i live in Maine, soo Houstons a bit to far away haha. Thanks for the help so far tho.

I've been looking into an 2002 wrx also, the example I'm looking at is unmodified so would that negate the crappy tranny or should I still be worried about that?

If I was you i would just look for an 03' if you are dead set on an 02' for whatever reason find one that the trannys either been built or recently replaced already

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.