noob question thx 4 any advice

This is a discussion on noob question thx 4 any advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i just picked up an 03 wrx kinda new to manual but i had a question about rev matching downshifts ...

noob question thx 4 any advice

i just picked up an 03 wrx kinda new to manual but i had a question about rev matching downshifts any advice would be appreciated.

so lets saying im on da freeway 55 mph in 5th gear 3k rpm gettin off a turn do i rev match up to like 3200 rpm downshift to 4th.. rev to 4200 downshift to 3rd then cluth out and drive??

another question

i get off the highway i neutral at 35 mph do i press clutch blip to 4200 rpm gear to 3rd then go or dont press clutch rev to 4200 then go?

thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My suggestion is not to worry about it too much, when it comes to down shifting... if it feels awkward you doing it wrong!

You slowing down anyway, why put the car under unnecessary stress?

Focus more on not riding with your foot on the clutch pedal

any over revving or snap changing! (big no no)

post pics!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsti View Post
    My suggestion is not to worry about it too much, when it comes to down shifting... if it feels awkward you doing it wrong!

You slowing down anyway, why put the car under unnecessary stress?

Focus more on not riding with your foot on the clutch pedal

any over revving or snap changing! (big no no)

post pics!
    ahh thx 4 advice but still never answered my question.. lol

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    What you are attempting is called "double clutching". You do not need to double clutch but it is a little easier on the transmission. If you are new to driving a manual learn the basics first and get good at those before you attempt any advanced techniques.

That being said if you want to learn what engine speed you need to be at when double clutching just downshift normally and watch the tach. Whatever the tach jumps to when you downshift is approximately the engine speed you need to rev to to match that gear at that vehicle speed.
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

Quote Originally Posted by sonytvpenny View Post
    i just picked up an 03 wrx kinda new to manual but i had a question about rev matching downshifts any advice would be appreciated.

so lets saying im on da freeway 55 mph in 5th gear 3k rpm gettin off a turn do i rev match up to like 3200 rpm downshift to 4th.. rev to 4200 downshift to 3rd then cluth out and drive??

another question

i get off the highway i neutral at 35 mph do i press clutch blip to 4200 rpm gear to 3rd then go or dont press clutch rev to 4200 then go?

thx
    Try watching the anime "Initial D" and the movie too youve learn alot .

I Support ClubWRX
    Top gear and 3K RPM in an 03 is more than 55 mph but in any case, you do not need to use the gearbox to slow down the car. You also do not need to drop gears sequentially if the gearbox itself isn't, well... sequential. That is, if the gearbox passes through neutral to select any gear, as yours does, you do not need to drop 5 - 4 - 3; you can literally skip gears provided of course you do not over-rev, lock up etc.

I agree you are over-analyzing. Focus on not over-revving and also not lugging (selecting too high a gear with too few RPMs) and go from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.