Thinking of Buying a WRX any advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking of Buying a WRX any advice? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I currently own a 2009 Corolla S (4600mil) with all the possible upgrades. I didn't realize how close in price ...

Thinking of Buying a WRX any advice?

I currently own a 2009 Corolla S (4600mil) with all the possible upgrades. I didn't realize how close in price i payed for my corolla to what the WRX cost. I put a lot of cash down on my corolla S ($6000) and pay 266 / month @ 2.9 APR. The WRX I am looking at is a base model with no upgrades. I found a dealer who needs a corolla pretty bad to sell, but is it worth the new payments? I wouldn't be able to put much down this time on the WRX so im not sure.
    Around what can i negotiate off the price?
    Is the WRX a reliable car?
    I commute 23 miles to and back to school. Is the Milage better than 25?

I'm really considering the WRX but I might have lost too much already on the corolla. I am 18 and Have a limited budget,(1K/month) will the plus in power of this car be worth the extra cost over time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have wanted one for years and I just finally got one a few months ago, its an 06 and I love it! Don't rush into it, check your options and get quotes on how much you will pay a month and then get an insurance quote as well. Corolla's are nice cars though! My girl has one and its a good car! Not quite a WRX though!

Yeah, I am currently searching around dealerships for the lowest price. My friend bought his brand new 06 WRX for 19500. He said he could hook me up but I'm searching for quotes on my own for now. Ive read about dealer scams to try and not fall into them also.

Also, are maintenance on Subaru's expensive? Just trying to piece a budget together for what I can truly spend.

M16
    WRX is a reliable car, and its pretty fast, the milage isnt that good, I get around 18 mpg in the city with my 08 WRX, but thats just me, I shift gears at like 3500 rpm...

I have to pay about 250 a month and its on lease, but I only pay half my parents pay the other half, and they did everything else.

Corrola's aren't too bad of a car, but I would never drive them, I'll stick to WRX's and maybe STI's...They are pretty fast.

If the dealer pays off the car then you are getting a good deal. If not you will be looking at a couple hundred dollars extra per month, depending on what negative equity they leave.

I had a good deal of negative equity from my trade, so now I am paying 520/month but i did also get a premium 08.

I generally run between 23.5-26 mpg. About 350 miles to a tank. I drive 65 miles round trip for work. I definitely think it is worth the upgrade.

I am visiting Russel Subaru in Catonsville ( any bad reviews?) for a quote on my corolla. They seem pretty straight forward. Pretty much I can only afford 350/month over 60/66/72 months. I don't want a care past that. Since I work in sales my insome is based on commission too =\

I hope this dealer goes well. I want to try to have them buy it from me before my next car payment, (Feb 23rd) or if not ill use that month to look around.

Should I not buy unless I can put down some money? I've read its best to have 20%, or is just going monthly fine?

If you put down $6000 on your Corolla and the dealer will only pay it off that is a bad deal!

I would sell the corolla yourself, dealers will screw you on trade, and then pick up the WRX if your set on it.

If you do trade it your probably only going to be able to negotiate the price of the trade and buy the WRX for sticker-incentives. If you have a cash down payment you can negotiate the car down to invoice.

The problem with the trade is they start working the numbers around and try and confuse you. They jumble up your pay-off with the trade value with the purchase price with monthly cost and the payoff and on and on. Next thing you know your looking at a "difference number" which is the cost between the trade and the new car, but doesn't figure the payoff. It gets frustrating the first time through the process.

My father-in-law was a salesman for years and laid it out for me years ago and it really helped shut down the cycle of BS when I put the basic numbers down that I wanted and what I would pay. But after a few vehicle purchases cash is always the best negotiator.

If you go to trade take in several print outs of the value of your car and the invoice prices of the WRX. Don't expect retail for your trade but don't settle for wholesale, something in the middle is realistic. If they come down on the WRX they may try and say you need to come down on your trade value, saying invoice is wholesale so your trade should be wholesale, but don't forget the incentives are factory based so they are being paid from Subaru even if they sell the car for invoice or below. That is big with factory financing rebates.

Hope this helps.

The dealer said the lowest price they could go was 24K. with taxes fees etc I was looking at around 26k with 5.9% finacing and a 400 ish payment a month. Does this sound like a good deal?
    2009 Subaru Impreza Wrx - Baltimore, MD - Russel Subaru
    They have a silver 08 WRX going for 18K, which would put me around 300 /month
    2008 Subaru Impreza Wrx Base - Baltimore, MD - Russel Subaru
    They said 2 days ago subaru started a new thing where they gave you your taxes back in rebat at the end of the year.

They said they would pay off my trade to the dime. I put in a warranty and the saleswomen said I would receive that 1600 back that I payed in a check. I dunno if this is true.
    What is your advice? I'm not the best on prices / Car buying skills yet. Would the 08 be worth it? Or should I wait untill the 09's are on clearance?

These cars arent known for their gas mileage. People buy them for their awd capabilities, and they want a cheap yet reliable sports car out of the box. Youre not going to get anywhere near what that carolla gets, but you get a hell of a lot more car.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianofMD View Post
    The dealer said the lowest price they could go was 24K. with taxes fees etc I was looking at around 26k with 5.9% finacing and a 400 ish payment a month. Does this sound like a good deal?
    2009 Subaru Impreza Wrx - Baltimore, MD - Russel Subaru
    They have a silver 08 WRX going for 18K, which would put me around 300 /month
    2008 Subaru Impreza Wrx Base - Baltimore, MD - Russel Subaru
    They said 2 days ago subaru started a new thing where they gave you your taxes back in rebat at the end of the year.

They said they would pay off my trade to the dime. I put in a warranty and the saleswomen said I would receive that 1600 back that I payed in a check. I dunno if this is true.
    What is your advice? I'm not the best on prices / Car buying skills yet. Would the 08 be worth it? Or should I wait untill the 09's are on clearance?
    Looks like either way you are gonna get a good deal. I have an 08 and i am happy with it, but i have not compared it to an 09. Looks like it will just come down to personal preference.

I can't say prices or interest rates are good for you, you're in a different region and have you own specific credit history. I can say though that I have never lost my down payment on a vehicle I traded in. Granted I kept mine longer than you are but $6000 down lost in trade would keep me in the corolla for a while until I sold it, no need to go jumping at the first WRX on the lot they'll be more coming. I put $2000 down on my last 3 trucks and always had that carry over. What is your payoff compared to the trade values?

My pay off to trade value would be about $0 loss/gain with them paying around 14,500 of the complete bill.

5.9 is the lowest interest rate they said they offered so I just wrote that down. I put 6K down and I would lose ALL of it if i traded. I would start at a 0 down paymen with just monthly bills

They wont go any lower on the WRX because its almost $- profit as it is. I might stick with my corolla until like the 08, the 09 becomes cheap just to get it off the lot.

The dealers I have visited so far either gave me negative equity or 0. It seems like if I really get this car, I am starting with nothing.

I only want to buy new because a WRX that has been used I doubt was treated with the best of care.

I Support ClubWRX
    used are still good, as long as you buy them smart.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

From everything I have read the 08 WRXs aren't even close to the 09s in overall performance and feel. They added about 40 more HP, and made the suspension better. I also think they made it look quite a bit better. That is the only reason why I haven't been looking for a used 08 to save some cash. Does anyone know what it would take to give an 08 the performance of an 09?

Russell Subaru I've only been over there once and they wanted nothing to do with me. I would check out Annapolis Subaru, everyone there is really respectful and seem like they actually want to help you out with whatever you want. I don't know what you really want, but an 08 WRX should be enough of a power upgrade (til you save up some $$ for stage 2) from your Corolla.
    But yeah, I was in the same boat (kinda) looking for a used STi or WRX. I ended up jumping into an 08 and I have never looked back. I guess it would depend on what you really want out of the car, but the 08 is still nothing to laugh at, and for most people it would be "enough car" for your day to day driving, and occasional "spirited" driving. Oh, and I'm averaging 22 MPG, and that is driving like a total crazy. (20 minutes on the highway to work everyday)
    Whatever you do, figure out exactly what will make you happy. If the WRX will make you that much happier and you won't be too strapped financially, DO IT! But if you have any doubt in your mind that it is gonna set you back or you might have a regret, sit back and realize that you already have a really nice car, and you are 18. Plenty of time to sit back, save a little, and wait for the next big thing you just "HAVE" to buy. Either way, good luck with your decision
    2008 WRB WRX: Blouch 18G-XT, Perrin FMIC, Perrin Turbo Inlet, DW 750cc injectors, Invidia catless downpipe, Perrin Catback, TurboXS CAI, Mach V SS brakelines, Hawk HPS Brake pads, ATE Superblue, NGK one-step colder sparkplugs, Mach V 3-port BCS, Prosport boost gauge and wideband A/F gauge, STi fuel pump, WL Steering Rack bushings, Perrin 25mmFSB/22mm adjustable RSB, Kartboy endlinks, TGV deletes, Protune by Dan @ Mach V Motorsports...
    330WHP/342WTQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast