Help! 09 wrx- 13.5 mpg
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help! 09 wrx- 13.5 mpg within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 13.5 MPG? for my last tank. 15.9 MPG for the life of the car? (total mileage 1098) I live in ...

Help! 09 wrx- 13.5 mpg

13.5 MPG? for my last tank. 15.9 MPG for the life of the car? (total mileage 1098)

I live in Seattle with small blocks, steep hills and I drive... occasionally quickly. Regardless, I can't believe that my mileage is so low.

I called the dealership anotified them of my concern. Their response was: "if the engine light isn't on, then there isn't anything we can do- other than drive it in different conditions and see if it's the driver?"

WHAT?

I enjoy this car.... but would love some insight as to why i'm getting such bad MPG.

My dad has a v8 s4 that is getting better mileage- this ain't right - right?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Fuel Economy (city/highway)
    Manual: 18/25 mpg
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Im sure driving fast and steep hills and alot of stops are part of the problem. Also i've seen a drop in MPG in the winter with my wrx.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

I'd try taking it out on the freeway and see if your mileage improves. I have never gotten below 20mpg, and I do 70% city driving, although not a lot of big hills. On the hwy I get between 22 and 28MPG. It's possible there might be something wrong with your car.

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    In winter I normally get about 17-20. In the summer 22-25. I think the hills are probably whats killing your mileage. Have you tried a different route (Is there a different route to try)?
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

Quote Originally Posted by steveo47193 View Post
    im sure driving fast and steep hills and alot of stops are part of the problem. Also i've seen a drop in mpg in the winter with my wrx.
    +1

That doesn't sound right unless you have harsh winter conditions (see below). When I first got the 08 I was seeing around 16 - 17 around town, and that's gone up to around 18-21 (depending on the way I drive). If you are foot to the floor up those hills all the time then you're going to see a drop for sure. If you could see the real-time mpg figures with WOT you'd be suprised

Personal I would wait until the engine is worn in a little more before going back to Subaru. I noticed gradual mpg improvements up to the 4 or 5k mark. Also, reset your gage at your next fill-up (full tank) - at the following visit take a full tank again and you'll know exactly how much gas you've used for the miles shown. Divide the miles travelled by the gallons used for a more accurate mpg figure as the gauges are not always correct.

Winter is also a hard time for cars for numerous reasons. If you have the heat and fans working hard, seat heaters on, full lights and fogs, the wiper/rear window/mirror demisters going, stereo waking the dead and all four wheels travelling quicker than the car on snow, the engine will be working harder to run the alternator. If the temperature is cold the car takes longer to warm up, and a cold car uses more gas. Even if the engine is warm, it is working hard to stay that way. If you make several short journeys under these conditions and drive aggressively you can see 13mpg. I can achieve that at -15C if I try hard enough.

If you still get 13mpg under non-boosted driving conditions (pretty much the only way to get to the factory figures) after a couple of extra k's, then I would suggest talking to the dealership. If they can't help, talk to SOA.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ER View Post
    13.5 MPG? for my last tank. 15.9 MPG for the life of the car? (total mileage 1098)

I live in Seattle with small blocks, steep hills and I drive... occasionally quickly. Regardless, I can't believe that my mileage is so low.

I called the dealership anotified them of my concern. Their response was: "if the engine light isn't on, then there isn't anything we can do- other than drive it in different conditions and see if it's the driver?"

WHAT?

I enjoy this car.... but would love some insight as to why i'm getting such bad MPG.

My dad has a v8 s4 that is getting better mileage- this ain't right - right?

Thanks

For the first 5,000 miles you should ideally keep the vehicle running smoothly through the rev range without getting into the red line or even near the red line.

The first 10,000 miles of a vehicle is a learning curve, gotta think of it as the first year of a babies life. So much to learn and do. Your mileage will get better.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.