No test drive for Sti?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on No test drive for Sti? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I go to the local dealer to test drive an '09 Sti. The salesman tells me that they do ...

No test drive for Sti?

So, I go to the local dealer to test drive an '09 Sti. The salesman tells me that they do not allow test drives because: 1) too many kids would want to take them out, and 2) most Sti buyers want few miles on their newly-purchased vehicle. He told me that they allow test drives after paperwork is filled-out. I understand filling out a brief summary page, but this guy made it seem like he'd want a bunch more. Make sense?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    how old are you?

i'm 20 and when i was 19 i test drove an 08 sti with my mom and dad with me. no questions asked, they just handed over the keys after scanning my license.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MAJ510 View Post
    So, I go to the local dealer to test drive an '09 Sti. The salesman tells me that they do not allow test drives because: 1) too many kids would want to take them out, and 2) most Sti buyers want few miles on their newly-purchased vehicle. He told me that they allow test drives after paperwork is filled-out. I understand filling out a brief summary page, but this guy made it seem like he'd want a bunch more. Make sense?
    I think he really wanted to make sales. People these days

Go to another dealership. Then after you buy, stop by and show the salesman your new car.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    how old are you?

I've got a daughter older than you.

I test drove a MS3 at the same dealer about a month ago and it was pretty standard. Fill out the form, scan the license and out we went. The first words out of this guys mouth were: "We don't allow test drives on that." Now, after we started talking and I mentioned that I was also looking at BMW 335s and Acura TLs, he apologized for being somewhat standoff-ish initially. No big deal to me, but you know what they say about first impressions...

Can you really blame him? People probably are jerking these guys around all day. Plus when you go in and wanan buy a car it has 100 miles on it or so from a bunch of test drives, do you really wanna buy that car?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hm. maybe he was just a jerk then

i did have a similar experience at a mitsubishi dealership. after i drove the sti, i wanted to drive the new evo for comparison.

at the time we showed up, the salesman didnt even know i wanted to drive it. he thought it was for my father. anywho, the first thing he said was "can you afford it?"

we were floored to say the least.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

With the "no test pilot" mentality, there should be no test drives on wrx's either. Because those are earier to break than a sti. Tell the salesman he is a **** and go to a different dealer and then bring back your new sti and show him
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    Can you really blame him? People probably are jerking these guys around all day. Plus when you go in and wanan buy a car it has 100 miles on it or so from a bunch of test drives, do you really wanna buy that car?
    Your latter point regarding test drive miles is what I'm really wondering about. For me, it wouldn't make a difference. 100 miles. 200 miles. Whatever. The vehicle is still new and has not been titled.

If folks have been jerking him around, it hasn't been in the STi. The battery was dead.

Your latter point regarding test drive miles is what I'm really wondering about. For me, it wouldn't make a difference. 100 miles. 200 miles. Whatever. The vehicle is still new and has not been titled.
    To be fair to the dealers, most of the people coming in to test an STI do so just so that they can say they have tried it and driven fast. Most people buying an STI don't want one that has been driven this way before break-in. The dealer has a hard job to recognise those who are really interested in buying. Existing customers are more likely to be honest and will get treated better.

The turnover of WRXs are much higher so dealerships can afford to have a test vehicle. The car is also cheaper, and it's easier to find someone willing to take a demo (you wouldn't buy a Ferrari at sticker with 200 miles on it). Some dealers may be more relaxed with an STI, but I expect the majority to be careful. Find out all the details to the point where you are ready to buy, then ask for a test drive - the dealer sees people buy or turn down cars every day and is likely to recognize whether you have gone through the motions just for a test drive or because you are really interested.

If folks have been jerking him around, it hasn't been in the STi. The battery was dead.
    So you wouldn't mind if your brand new sti had 100 miles or so where it had been redlined and beat up that early?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    Yeah, I can blame him 100%. As a seller, you can never tell completely who has the money to spend right there and now. Do you know how many people walk on to a Porsche or Ferrari lot in crappy clothes and end up buying then and there?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Yeah, I can blame him 100%. As a seller, you can never tell completely who has the money to spend right there and now.
    That doesn't mean they can't be careful. If you are really interested you will be prepared to fill out the paperwork and get a credit check first.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    That doesn't mean they can't be careful. If you are really interested you will be prepared to fill out the paperwork and get a credit check first.
    only after I turn my head and cough...

i had a similar experience with this as well. After seeing the 09 premium wrx come out i had to have my hands on this ride. I went onto the website to try and find the local dealer in my area. I was astonished to see that the closes dealership to me was an hour away. So me and my mom(im 19) went down to test drive one out. We came in everyday normal street clothes(even though she just inherited 550,000 ) and the guy made the biggest deal out of it ever my license is good and everything he wanted me to fill out several forms of paperwork. I was so mad that we just went home. An hour drive for nothing.

I guess in this world you have to have money, look like you have money, and act like you have money to get any respect from car dealers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast