No test drive for Sti? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on No test drive for Sti? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When I buy a car or lease a car, I don't care what kind of car it is, I will ...

Talking Test driving STI's

When I buy a car or lease a car, I don't care what kind of car it is, I will test drive it first. There are so many factors in deciding that to me the most import is seat of the pants. Before I bought my 08 STI, I test drove a Audi S5, a BMW M3, a Lexus ISF, and a STI, all brand spanking new. My Wife even went and test drove a STI and a Mini CooperS. No credit checks, nothing but a photo copy of my drivers license. I guess it comes down to how bad the dealerships want to sell a car. When I was younger I went to a SAAB dealership and they just ignored me while I was in the showroom, finally a salesman sauntered over and asked could he help me, I answered, does anyone want to sell me this car? They did, no hesitation. Mind you I don't dress like some broke down bum either, but I ain't fronting either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepix View Post
    When I buy a car or lease a car, I don't care what kind of car it is, I will test drive it first. There are so many factors in deciding that to me the most import is seat of the pants. Before I bought my 08 STI, I test drove a Audi S5, a BMW M3, a Lexus ISF, and a STI, all brand spanking new. My Wife even went and test drove a STI and a Mini CooperS. No credit checks, nothing but a photo copy of my drivers license. I guess it comes down to how bad the dealerships want to sell a car. When I was younger I went to a SAAB dealership and they just ignored me while I was in the showroom, finally a salesman sauntered over and asked could he help me, I answered, does anyone want to sell me this car? They did, no hesitation. Mind you I don't dress like some broke down bum either, but I ain't fronting either.
    the new s5 is soooooo sweet! I saw a gun metal grey s5 pulling out of the dealer lot the other day and I couldnt help but stair at it. A true work of art

test drive blues

Test driving a STI unsupervised was a given at my dealership until someone blew an engine. I've test driven the new 08 without supervision but the folks at the dealership know and trust me. I can't say what anyone one else would experience with going for a test drive. It has gotta be hard justifying unsupervised test drives when you have a car engine blown. Whoever did it blew it for more than just themselves.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MAJ510 View Post
    So, I go to the local dealer to test drive an '09 Sti. The salesman tells me that they do not allow test drives because: 1) too many kids would want to take them out, and 2) most Sti buyers want few miles on their newly-purchased vehicle. He told me that they allow test drives after paperwork is filled-out. I understand filling out a brief summary page, but this guy made it seem like he'd want a bunch more. Make sense?
    Yes. Completely. If they allowed anyone to drive the car it would have 100s of miles on it and improperly drove before break in. I am glad most dealerships make you pre qualify before test driving. You should feel lucky to even get to drive it. Most dealerships will DRIVE YOU around after pre-qualification of a loan. After you sign the papers they give you the keys for a test drive if your happy its cool, if not they allow you to back out.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I had a similar experience yesterday at the dealership in Little Rock. I pulled up in my 06 and asked to take out the new 09 since I was there (was looking for the parts dept but they were closed). Guy gave me some bs answer about how it is now "company policy" not to allow test drives of STi's OR WRX's.

I'm 25 and paid for both my 04 and 06 in cash when I bought them new. Bought the first one in FL and the second in CO and they each gave me test drives beforehand with no questions asked.

On a side note, it is nearly impossible to find ANY car in Little Rock with a stick shift. Been to BMW, Mazda, Pontiac/GM, and Subaru...
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronic View Post
    Test driving a STI unsupervised was a given at my dealership until someone blew an engine. I've test driven the new 08 without supervision but the folks at the dealership know and trust me. I can't say what anyone one else would experience with going for a test drive. It has gotta be hard justifying unsupervised test drives when you have a car engine blown. Whoever did it blew it for more than just themselves.
    A dealer allowing unsupervised test-drives of an STI? They must be mad!
    2010 SSM STI

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    whats more expensive than the near 40k sti?
    .... A Tribeca

Regardless, I do understand the dealership's perspective..... and our little turbo cars are the wet-dreams of every pimply-faced pre-pubescent teenager on the planet. I don't blame the dealers at all for being mindful of the type of person they allow to test drive a car.

Your appearance matters "some"... If you look like a bum, I wouldn't let you drive a brand new STI either. The same thing holds true if you look like some kind of white, wanna-be rapper or something. Pull your pants up, jackass... you look like an idiot. (that wasn't directed at any one person.... it was directed at the entire genre of dumbasses I see hanging out at the mall on Friday night)

However, I think your "age" matters more than your appearance does. I've driven a Porsche 911 Carrera unsupervised...... but I'm also 33 years old, well spoken, well dressed, with a wife and children. It does make a difference.

It may not be fair.... but thats just the way the world works... sorry
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I was 21 when i went in for my WRX and the dealer had about 10 STi's sittin and 1 for demos. Most dealers, here anyway, do that for their higher end cars.

The dealer knew I couldnt afford it but let me go out with one any way.

I used to sell cars and some dealers are just A-holes about the higher end cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    .... A Tribeca

Regardless, I do understand the dealership's perspective..... and our little turbo cars are the wet-dreams of every pimply-faced pre-pubescent teenager on the planet. I don't blame the dealers at all for being mindful of the type of person they allow to test drive a car.

Your appearance matters "some"... If you look like a bum, I wouldn't let you drive a brand new STI either. The same thing holds true if you look like some kind of white, wanna-be rapper or something. Pull your pants up, jackass... you look like an idiot. (that wasn't directed at any one person.... it was directed at the entire genre of dumbasses I see hanging out at the mall on Friday night)

However, I think your "age" matters more than your appearance does. I've driven a Porsche 911 Carrera unsupervised...... but I'm also 33 years old, well spoken, well dressed, with a wife and children. It does make a difference.

It may not be fair.... but thats just the way the world works... sorry
    most of the tribecas I see are in the high 20s to mid 30s. never seen one near 40k

I Support ClubWRX
    most of the tribecas I see are in the high 20s to mid 30s. never seen one near 40k
    Mine was 39,995 OTD No tax in Oregon either. Every single option 7 passenger LTD with DVD Nav, puddle lights, hitch, fogs blah blah blah..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Yup... I bought mine a year old to save $$$..... but brand new, the OTD price was almost $43K.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    I was at the dealership the other day and they just tossed me the keys to an 08 Sti. It was fun but still isn't as fast as my 05wrx. I haven't really had a problem prying the keys from their hands. I think you just talked to the wrong person/dealership. There is no way I would make a decision on a car without a test drive.
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Mine was 39,995 OTD No tax in Oregon either. Every single option 7 passenger LTD with DVD Nav, puddle lights, hitch, fogs blah blah blah..
    lol, puddle lights....I guess it does have every option

I could see if it was the only STi they had and didn't want to put any miles on it unless you a serious buyer, I wouldn't buy an STi with more than a dozen miles on it for the price they want.

The Honda dealer lost a sale with me when I drove an hour to buy a specific vehicle and it ended up having 500 demo miles on it. My father-in-law was a salesman they treat those demos like rented mules.

If you ever try buying a new motorcycle your going to get the same policy, they won't even put oil in them until the paperwork is done. If you want a ride you have to look for demo days. I had to buy my FZ1 untested but I was fairly pleased with how accurate the reviews were.

lol, puddle lights....I guess it does have every option
    Two WRX's talking in a parking lot:

WRX's: "Oh crap, here comes Tribeca."

Tribeca: "Taa-dum-tee-dum, Taa-dum-tee-dum..."

Tribeca: "Hi Guuuyyss..."

WRX's: "hello tribeca..."

Tribeca: "How are you guuuyyss..."

WRX's: "fine tribeca..."

WRX #2: "Hey, I have to get to a rally cross, see you guys."

WRX #1: (under his breath) "You SOB..."

Episode 5 of PRON, about 5 mins near the end. Classic!
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.