No test drive for Sti? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on No test drive for Sti? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is a business transaction. If you're feeling charitable, leave them your card and tell them to ring you if/when ...

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a business transaction. If you're feeling charitable, leave them your card and tell them to ring you if/when they get the car you want ready for a test drive. If they do not meet your expectations and you see no hope for them to ever get your money, simply leave and go buy another car elsewhere.

Remember the phrase "your money." This is the key element. Their policies, their practices etc. are not relevant. Your money is. Be very selective regarding who gets it and who does not. Keep things simple. If they have a car you might want, at a price you can afford, let you test drive it, and you still like it, well then buy it. If not, don't, and don't worry about it. The make more Subarus every day.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow.. I didn't have any trouble at all when recently shopping for a new 09 STi. Practically the first words out of the dealers mouth at both dealerships I went to was "Wanna take it for a drive?" When I did test drive, all he did was make a quick copy of my license and we were off... no paperwork or anything. I wouldn't even continue trying to do business with them if they acted like that and refused a test drive. Dealers are hurting enough as it is right now, you would think they would try and do anything it takes to make the customer happy so they will take cars off their lot.
    09 STi - stock
    91 Honda CRX - stock
    91 Honda CRX - many mods

I told him that I may come back in the Spring. I've noticed that a lot of local malls are just devoid of business and this dealership was, too. Just two salesman and the other guy seemed to be surfing the net. I'll keep an eye on other dealers' stock, too.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had no trouble since they knew I was serious, but I'm glad the car I bought only had 16 miles on the clock. No way in heck I'd buy an STI with 200 test-driven miles on there...
    2010 SSM STI

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    how old are you?

i'm 20 and when i was 19 i test drove an 08 sti with my mom and dad with me. no questions asked, they just handed over the keys after scanning my license.
    maybe you had more going for you...

You have a WRX already in your possession

AND

Your parents were with you.

If youd have been by yourself I think itd be a diffferent story

Edit: continuation with evo dealership confirms it. It is relatively Bull**** but as long as they make up for it I have no qualms if they say I can't test drive it.

Personally I'd want them to be more straight forward with me... You know if your dealership has had problems with a bunch of punk kids just test driving to test drive and you thought I was but found out i wasnt then thats fine just bust your ass a little harder on the sale. is the way I see it.
    Last edited by DstrbdTech; 02-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Any salesman with experience will tell you that you can't necessarily go by dress or appearance anymore. People are just as likely to go shopping for a Ferrari or Porsche in jeans and a ballcap, as they are in anything else.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Try calling or emailing whoever does fleet stuff -- if there is such a person -- at whatever dealership you chose. Ask if they have a specific car, with specific options, that you can come by and see. This will at least prevent you from having to meet half the "sales team" (waste of time).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I can understand where the dealership is coming from to some extent but how is anyone supposed to buy a car without test driving it. I understand they wanted you to fill out the paperwork first but that an awful lot of hassle for a car you might not even like.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Been reading up a little bit on test drive miles and am starting to understand why new car owners are leery of this. Is it mainly because there is a chance that the car has been improperly broken in? How do those that buy used STis go about making sure that the car has not been abused? Never shopped for a new BMW, Audi, etc., so I wonder if their dealers are leery of test drives for the same reason. Much more money for those.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Impreza line, including the WRX STi, is not the most expensive of the Subarus, and Subaru dealers allow -- if not encourage -- test drives of more expensive models. It's the model itself they're hung up on, apparently because the usual clients don't want a car that's got "lots" of miles on it.

OTOH that's not the buyer's problem. I'd not buy a car without test driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd not buy a car without test driving it.
    Me neither. Never heard of a credit check being run before a test drive either. Another no-no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MAJ510 View Post
    Never heard of a credit check being run before a test drive either. Another no-no for me.
    Very few dealerships are going to let a new customer test drive an expensive car without either a deposit or a credit check. I wouldn't take you as being serious if you were unwilling to prove your interest in the car. The fact that you walked away and haven't bought one elsewhere may show that he is doing the right thing - you're not ready to buy yet, and he wants you to put the miles on the actual car you will take home.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    hm. maybe he was just a jerk then

i did have a similar experience at a mitsubishi dealership. after i drove the sti, i wanted to drive the new evo for comparison.

at the time we showed up, the salesman didnt even know i wanted to drive it. he thought it was for my father. anywho, the first thing he said was "can you afford it?"

we were floored to say the least.
    cant blame him..if your young and a girl you probably cant afford it..lol

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The Impreza line, including the WRX STi, is not the most expensive of the Subarus, and Subaru dealers allow -- if not encourage -- test drives of more expensive models. It's the model itself they're hung up on, apparently because the usual clients don't want a car that's got "lots" of miles on it.

OTOH that's not the buyer's problem. I'd not buy a car without test driving it.
    whats more expensive than the near 40k sti?

When I was in the market for my '05 WRX I went to the local dealership (2 miles from my house) with my wife, driving our then-new loaded Yukon. I was 35 at the time. Just a regular WRX, no STI, but the salesman wouldn't let me test drive it. Again, I was an adult (functionally), with my wife, driving a car that cost twice what the WRX was selling for. Unreal. So, I drove 25 miles to the next dealer, test drove 3 different models, and drove home that day after paying cash for the car. I've since bought two more Subes at that same dealership, won't set foot on the local lot. Dumbasses.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast