new to forum and have shifter Q's

This is a discussion on new to forum and have shifter Q's within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought my first suub, 2003 wrx. i love the car and am already looking forward to modding and ...

new to forum and have shifter Q's

I just bought my first suub, 2003 wrx. i love the car and am already looking forward to modding and some day maybe a 07 sti (someday). i just want to know is anyone else having problems with the shifter fighting you into gear, 1st seems to be the worst for me. if im at a roll slowing to a stop its almost impossible to put it in 1st gear, is it just shifter bushings or do i have a bigger problem. it has just over 100k.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you get any maintenance records or history from when you bought the car? I'd check to see that last time the shift nozzle was aligned. If it hasn't been done in while, I'm sure that would help.

Also, welcome.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Assuming nothing is broken, different transmission fluid and shifter bushings should help. Subaru transmissions are notorious for being hard to downshift into first when you are rolling to a stop (or into reverse when you're stopped for that matter.)

A lot of people, myself included, have had good luck with "Uncle Scotty's ****tail" in the transmission. It's a mixture of 1 qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof, 1 qt Pennsoil Synchromesh (I think it's the same stuff GM sells), and the rest Castrol Hypoy C (less than 2 qts).

Good luck and welcome to the community!
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

thank ill take a look at the nozzle and just ordered new shifter bushings, and getting ready to do a complete tune up spark plugs timing belt fluid and all the good stuff... thanks great to be a part of the forum.