turbo upgrade
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on turbo upgrade within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am thinking of upgrading my turbo but i have alot of questions about it. i was looking at the ...

turbo upgrade

I am thinking of upgrading my turbo but i have alot of questions about it. i was looking at the IHI VF34 or the IHI VF43(i think its the VF43 that came out on the 08 or 09 sti). they will help me gain power but not be absolutely huge because its for a daily driver. my questions though are am i goin to have to buy all new engine internals( cams, pistons, etc.) because i have a 02 wrx ej20? and its an automatic so will the transmisson be able to handle more power like that? reading about it i think it said up to 290whp with that turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the vf 43 is from the 07 STi. you wont need to build your motor or tranny for either turbo. youll need injectors and an STi tmic and maybe a fuel pump depending if ur tuner wants one or not.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

with the vf34 or vf39 should i get a stand alone engine management or a piggyback. and do i still need to get a boost controller with a engine management unit. i was lookin into the greddy profec b spec II.

Quote Originally Posted by abhold87 View Post
    with the vf34 or vf39 should i get a stand alone engine management or a piggyback. and do i still need to get a boost controller with a engine management unit. i was lookin into the greddy profec b spec II.
    People tend to go with getting protuned with the stock ecu. Boost controller isn't really necessary either.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Quote Originally Posted by NjBuGeyEdWRX View Post
    the vf 43 is from the 07 STi. you wont need to build your motor or tranny for either turbo. youll need injectors and an STi tmic and maybe a fuel pump depending if ur tuner wants one or not.
    +1

I have and love the vf34. It's a safe amount of power for the stock ej205. You should be able to tune it to around 250-270whp around 18-20psi. I think the auto trans is gonna have higher drivelosses, which is why I'm only guessing in that horsepower range.

As much as I love my WRX, I'm sometimes jealous of my younger brothers awd dsm with upgraded turbo dog box trans and other goodies. While my car has been much more reliable, his was picked up for a song and when it's running is a good bit faster than my car.

It makes me think of switching to a bigger turbo, but I'll probably wait until I swap to an ej257. Just figured I would point that out since I think it's a likely feeling for a vf34 owner. Good turbo, spools quick - but is still a relatively smaller turbo despite what a step up it is from the stock td04.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.