To cobb or not to cobb? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on To cobb or not to cobb? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ^^ the 08/09 wrx/sti's dont have any connectors under the dash. you literally just plug in the AP and flash ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ the 08/09 wrx/sti's dont have any connectors under the dash.

you literally just plug in the AP and flash your maps.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ^^ the 08/09 wrx/sti's dont have any connectors under the dash.

you literally just plug in the AP and flash your maps.
    Thats cool. I ran new wires under the dash to extend the connectors to make it easier to reflash my 05. Is it necessary no, but it is a hell of a lot easier.
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

I Support ClubWRX
    If I had the cash laying around, I'd probably do it. You might pay $700 up front, but when the car's off lease, unmarry the AP, come back here, and sell it to recoop some of your investment. Depending on how long your lease is you can get a few hundred bucks back. When you get rid of the car, you're net loss isn't nearly what you paid up front. There are people who will be out there looking for a used one at that point. That's how I got mine for my '04.

It's nice because it's simple and has hours and hours of R&D behind it. It's safe, it's an improved tune from OEM, and you'll get more out of your engine.
    Last edited by Ying; 01-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.

The AP is fine, it will make a difference to the performance but not as much as a tune for your individual car. I would wait a few thousand miles before installing it - let your engine bed in before putting extra stress on it. I love having the AP on my 08, it allows me to switch between the Cobb map when I am travelling, a high altitude map for at home and stock for more stability on the snow.

Thank you all for your input...

COBB AP it is!!!!!

Here''s why:

1) sounds like there's too much risk in running maps that haven't been tested as thoroughly as the COBB.

2) I don't want to borrow a cable every time I want to flash a new map and or flash it back.

3) $ If I can sell it on the back end it's really not that much more. Plus, people say you need Oxygen aand boost sensors to run the Opentune- how much are those?

4) The device just seems easier to install. Yes I understand you're paying a premium for that luxury- but that's worth it to me.

Oh... and are people in agreement that this adds roughly 42 HP? or am I misreading that???

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ER
    1) sounds like there's too much risk in running maps that haven't been tested as thoroughly as the COBB.
    A good custom tune > OTS map

2) I don't want to borrow a cable every time I want to flash a new map and or flash it back.
    You can buy a tactrix cable and a laptop for less than you'd spend on an AP, and be able to surf the net and do other stuff with it.

3) $ If I can sell it on the back end it's really not that much more. Plus, people say you need Oxygen aand boost sensors to run the Opentune- how much are those?
    You can sell the tactrix cable as well (I'd keep the laptop). You can read your boost levels via datalogs. WBO2 is beneficial for any type of tune. If you're going to be creating a custom ECU map, then reading via wideband is really what you want. If you get your tune done at a shop, they'll have everything you need, so you'll only pay for the tune ($250-400) rather than anything else.

4) The device just seems easier to install. Yes I understand you're paying a premium for that luxury- but that's worth it to me.
    There's no real difference in ease flashing the ECU via AP or laptop

Oh... and are people in agreement that this adds roughly 42 HP? or am I misreading that???
    #s vary based on dyno type, weather, altitude, gas, etc.

Also, FWIW: I've heard a lot more instances where the Cobb AP "bricks" the ECU than I have using open-source.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-09-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.