09 wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased an 09 Premium 4 door in DGM. I'm loving it. I've driven it slowly-ish for the first ...

09 wrx

I just purchased an 09 Premium 4 door in DGM. I'm loving it. I've driven it slowly-ish for the first 875 miles. In all honesty I've gone to 6 RPMs maybe 3-4 times.

I am leasing the car and wondering whether or not to inveset in modifications. Does someone want to list some pros/cons.

Also what does flashing the ECU do? Is there some group of Subaru guys in Seattle that can walk me through it. IS IT WORTH IT?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (1).jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the initial question for you to answer is are you going to turn this car in when the lease is up, or buy it? I wouldn't drop a dime into it if you're not going to keep it.

If you do keep it what do you want to do with it? Do you just want a fun DD? Are you looking to AutoX or take it to the strip?

When it comes to modding:

PROS: Plain and simple...it's fun
    CONS: It's addictive, costs money

Nice car BTW...and welcome
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

MC-g

Thanks for replying.

I think i'm going to turn it in at the end of the lease! However, that is why I was wondering if I could Flash the ECU. In my novice mind that means getting more out of the engine. I thought this would work because I could reflash at the end of my lease. I really have no idea what I am talking about.

Also, for other 09 Owners. I seem to be averaging about 17 miles in the city. Lower than I expected. Anyone else notice this?

If you're looking to "flash" your ecu for the duration of your lease, then you should check out the Cobb AP. It's very simple to use, and when you turn your car in, you can revert the ecu to original settings.

COBB Tuning Blog COBB AccessPORT for 2009 Subarus

As for you only getting 17 mpg, hopefully somebody else can chime in on that one.
    Last edited by McGizzle; 01-07-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

Welcome to ClubWRX!

Check out this thread on local shops.
    anyone live in seattle area?

As the engine is broken in it'll get better gas mileage. Also getting it reflashed or custom tuned will increase gas mileage even more. But it's best to put a few thousand miles on the clock before doing anything to it.

hey, you've got leaves in your scoop! which leads to the question, does anyone know who makes a mesh screen or something that would fit into the scoop to keep debris out of the engine?

Howdy, welcome!

I've got an 09 premium hatch in DGM and love it! Got about 2800 miles on the clock. As far as mileage goes, I've been averaging 21 mpg or so from "spirited" city driving and local 50mph highways w/ traffic lights.

I'd expect it to go up some.

On strictly highway driving at ~65 with cruise control I've seen 28's on the readout.. averages about 24 though for long highway trips.
    Last edited by elwray; 06-23-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Howdy, welcome!

I've got an 09 premium hatch in DGM and love it! Got about 2800 miles on the clock. As far as mileage goes, I've been averaging 21 mpg or so from "spirited" city driving and local 50mph highways w/ traffic lights.

I didn't follow the break in procedure though... definitely didn't abuse it but definitely didn't stay below 3 either.

I'd expect it to go up some.

On strictly highway driving at ~65 with cruise control I've seen 28's on the readout.. averages about 24 though for long highway trips.
    DARN!

Currently my overall MPG is 16.8. Most of my driving is short trips, inner city, and that may explain why my last tank average was 15.9. I will say on the Highway i've noticed as high as 27-28 MPG. I'm hoping it's just the city driving -short blocks and as you said "spirited" driving.

I did receive my car with 265 miles. I can only hope that whoever was driving it the first 265 treated it with love and care Riiiight.

It seems that on CLUBWRX there are a lot less complaints of motor failure with the 09's. Hopefully, i don't have a problem with this.

As far as the motor failures go, not much you can do to prevent it. If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen. I'm not going to worry about it. That's what the warranty is for as far as I'm concerned.

Seems like your mileage might be in line with mine as far as short trips and short blocks go. I'm in the suburbs so most of my driving is not really impeded by many stop signs or traffic lights, but there are low speed limits!

Quote Originally Posted by mwake1 View Post
    hey, you've got leaves in your scoop! which leads to the question, does anyone know who makes a mesh screen or something that would fit into the scoop to keep debris out of the engine?

IC Screen
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    Wow, that looks easy... wasn't expecting that!

Does the 09 have that trim on the interior of the scoop though?

Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    hey, thanks! I made my own screens for our porch windows, I could probably do that.

Of course, now I feel stupid for not thinking it up myself..

No IC protection from factory?

Why doesn't Subaru include this from the factory. Honestly, it's a $1 part...

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ER View Post
    I just purchased an 09 Premium 4 door in DGM. I'm loving it. I've driven it slowly-ish for the first 875 miles. In all honesty I've gone to 6 RPMs maybe 3-4 times.

I am leasing the car and wondering whether or not to inveset in modifications. Does someone want to list some pros/cons.

Also what does flashing the ECU do? Is there some group of Subaru guys in Seattle that can walk me through it. IS IT WORTH IT?
    Since you are leasing I wouldn't put anything into it, until the day you go to take it in or sign the purchase papers. Because when the purchase is set up it is just like going in and doing the car buying process all over again with the bank and after market parts are not looked upon kindly in the banks minds when they go to calculate the loan to value.

what's up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.