Just Joined - 2008 WRX - Navi install?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just Joined - 2008 WRX - Navi install? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All, Long time reader, first time poster. Just got myself a 2008 WRX and LOVE IT! Yeah, I know... ...

Just Joined - 2008 WRX - Navi install?

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. Just got myself a 2008 WRX and LOVE IT! Yeah, I know... the '09's got the hook up, but I got an unbelievable deal and it's an awesome car.

Quick question: I'm in LA and I'd like to upgrade the navi system to a Kenwood DNX8120. Does anyone recommend a good stereo install shop in West LA?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a pretty easy install you could do it yourself. Personally I have been burned by even professional install shops too much to let anyone other then me make mistakes on my car. I put in a Kenwood DNX-7100, and it was really simply, also put in the blue tooth, and sirius, install was a breeze.

If you've got the stock stereo on there, not the Subaru Navi, then it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself. I'm actually in the process of ordering and then will be installing a dnx5120 in my 09 (same stereo as 08).

I posted a bit on NASIOC about it and got a LOT of help.

Check out my this thread here, lots of info about this:

DNX8120 and General HU ?'s - Page 2 - NASIOC

I originally was going to do the 8120 but decided on the 5120 instead.

Basically, you'll need:

1) The head unit
    2) Wiring harness to "bridge" the gap of wires between what unplugs from the OEM stereo to the back of the new head unit
    3) A dash kit or a new bezel/trim piece since the oem stereo is a bit larger than standard double-din
    4) SWI-JACK to retain the steering wheel controls (optional)

The mounting hardware - dash kit and wiring harness - shouldn't cost you more than 40 bucks. If the shop wants to charge you more than that, do it yourself. Plus, you'll learn about your car!

Here's another thread of great help on IWSTI:

08 STI Audio Installation - DNX 8120, CDT, PDX, JL - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Good luck

Great info - thanks! Self-install it is.

elwray, what tipped the scales in favor of the 5120?

Well, I initially wanted JUST the screen since it looks so clean like that. But I actually like having a volume knob for quick changes.

All in all, aside from the volume knob the 8120 was just loaded with extra features I don't need:

-I don't need the built-in bluetooth that comes with the 8120 since I have a handsfree visor-mounted speaker phone thing, which people I call say has a more than adequate sound to.

-The 8120 has 5v pre-outs, as opposed to the 2v pre-outs on the 5120. Since I have no plans on upgrading/adding speakers, I don't need this.

-Better resolution on the 8120 than the 5120. Frankly I can't see the difference plus I won't be watching DVDs, just the nav screen and iPod album art.

-No flippy screen thing to get to the CD/DVD input. Not really a big deal since I'm sure it's a quality item, but the less moving parts to break on me the better (though the flip down thing looks cool!! WOW-factor for passengers, always a plus )

-Last but CERTAINLY not least, it's a lot cheaper to get the 5120. To me, it didn't make sense to pay extra for all these features I'd never be able to take advantage of.

Oh, also, if you've got a Nav in there now, the only difference from my first post would be a different wiring harness I believe. Look for a 2008 nav pin out to help you..

Thanks, Elwray!

The 5120 is definitely a good buy. I'll probably stick with the 8120 for now since I *do* need the bluetooth and might want the option of upgrading the speakers at some point.

Haven't installed a car stereo in a long, long time (yes, before the dark times, before the Empire). Should be fun!

Thanks, again.

Yeah, the 8120 looks like a killer unit!! Especially if you can take advantage of all the options it offers... just a bit too many features for me.

I've never done any kind of audio work on a car before, next week when my 5120 gets here will be the first time... but with the help from the people on these forums it makes it a lot easier (and fun!) I'm confident I can do this now..

The closest I've come to stereo work was when I put a CB radio into my first vehicle (1979 F350 dump truck ) -- all I did was run wires straight from the battery, under the firewall and up the rusted out holes in the floorboards .

I don't think I had an option of a touchscreen navi at that point......

HA! Yes... that's about the extent of the work I did on my last "stereo" install. Except it was a slightly newer vehicle - 1983 Jeep CJ7. LOL!

The folks on this forum have been super helpful and great. Looking forward learning more from you guys & tinkering with the new WRX.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.