First mod
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First mod within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm wanting to order an intake as an easy first mod. I was wondering which one yall would recommend that ...

First mod

I'm wanting to order an intake as an easy first mod.

I was wondering which one yall would recommend that won't mess with MAF readings and such.

And yes I am getting a tune when I get one.

I want cold air, not short ram.

Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what year car? If it's pre 06, I would recommend a catless UP before doing an intake.

It's an 04.

How much is a good catless uppipe?

I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like APS makes an awesome intake though.

I just want to do something fairly inexpensive.

I'm not looking for power gains really just something to help it breathe better

Quote Originally Posted by suburaaron View Post
    So why do you want your engine to breathe better if you don't want any power gains? And why are you going to get a tune then?

Please use the search and read up on intakes, and also on the mod path for these cars in general (i.e. when to get a tune and when it's unnecessary). Then please come back with your questions.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Just get a dp and some engine management...you'll be much much happier...seriously
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold
    02 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

The stock intake is fine, leave it alone until you do some other upgrades, such as uppipe and downpipe. But your first thing should be engine management. RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider - you can read about open source tuning here. This is currently what most consider the *best* option available as it has been widely embraced by many (including myself).

Perrin's uppipe is $185 on Perrins site - if you PM a few vendors on this site they may offer you a better deal. Stainless Steel brake lines, high temp fluid, and slotted rotors will also go a long way in improving both braking performance and feel. Drivetrain slop can be remedied with upgraded (read: stiffer) mounts, but in cabin noise will increase noticeably. A Rear anti-sway bar and upgraded rear endlinks will help cut down on body roll.

That should be plenty to get you started. I'd strongly suggest you start reading and researching before you do anything. But the uppipe and the open source tuning should be a given.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

It's an 04.

How much is a good catless uppipe?

I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like APS makes an awesome intake though.

I just want to do something fairly inexpensive.

In that case, you will see better gains from a gutted UP. I put a gutted stock UP on mine...bought it for $40 bucks. Throttle response was increased, as well as quicker spool. Even without a tune, I could instantly tell a difference have installing it.

also, +1 on getting a DP and an OS tune. You could do pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    So why do you want your engine to breathe better if you don't want any power gains? And why are you going to get a tune then?

Please use the search and read up on intakes, and also on the mod path for these cars in general (i.e. when to get a tune and when it's unnecessary). Then please come back with your questions.

I'm not a n00b. I've been a member of this forum and have been researching these cars for almost a year now. I only got mine 2 weeks ago.

That being said you don't have to give me the "use the search button" speil.

I know most people stay away from intakes but seeing as though i have a car and insurance payment it's hard for me to save up a lot of money for Cobb Accessport and other high cost mods.

So with that being said (and me being tight on money) i think i'll go with open source because it's cheaper and i'll look into getting an uppipe.

I still would like more info. on the perks of getting an uppipe

Persuade me.

And also...

You can't really use the search button to find out what the best first mods are because everyone has there own opinions. As you can tell by everyone who responded to my thread has had a different suggestion.

I really would like more input like Wc25rs. I want to know what you think about a particular mod and how your car responded.

Please don't tell me to research and use the search button.

because that's all i did for the 10 months before I finally got a WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Perrin's uppipe is $185 on Perrins site

It's $200 off of Perrin's site

Get a hold of maperformance and see what kind of deal you can get.

It's $200 off of Perrin's site
    https://www.precisiontuning.com/store/home.php?cat=90

It's $179.99 from here.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

i know how you feel about saving money to buy parts. i know bcus i waited almost a year to get some simple mods on my infiniti. but i think you should just save up and get a tbe and tune and be happy.

Not trying to be a ****...but if you've researched as extensively as you say then why the hell would you get a useless mod that won't do anything until you've dumped big $$$ into your car first?

Why not choose an already proven first mod?

Just saying it doesn't really make much sense...but it's your car and your money...it's just really easy to put a lot of money into this car so why not put it where it's going to do the most. We really don't need to persuade you...it's either common sense or personal choice...but either way it's up to you.
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold
    02 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.