First mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First mod within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by suburaaron And also... You can't really use the search button to find out what the best first ...

Quote Originally Posted by suburaaron View Post
    And also...

You can't really use the search button to find out what the best first mods are because everyone has there own opinions. As you can tell by everyone who responded to my thread has had a different suggestion.

I really would like more input like Wc25rs. I want to know what you think about a particular mod and how your car responded.

Please don't tell me to research and use the search button.

because that's all i did for the 10 months before I finally got a WRX
    trust me, you will feel a difference in your car after doing a catless UP. If you are planning to stay with your stock turbo, I recommend getting a gutted stocker, or you can gut your own. I bought mine already gutted for $40 bucks. Not only does it decrease spool time and give you better throttle response, it's safer. Subaru stupidly put a pre turbo cat in the 02-05's, so if the catalytic converter starts to break apart, guess where it's going....yep, straight into your turbo. Now this isnt real common, but when you combine the added safety with the performance increases, it makes it totally worthwhile.

Here's my mod process with my car:

Catback, then did catless UP. I bought both used and spent a total of $160. You'll love the sound and the increased performance. I then did a DP, and then got an OpenSource tune. Overall, I spent $550 to go Stage 2, and it's completely worth it.

But since you have an 04, dont do any of this stuff until you are ready to get tuned. The 04's are far more finnicky without a tune than 02-03's. What I would do is accumulate the parts, and either you install them a day or so before getting tuned, or have your tuner do it the day of the tuning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Twitchit if you would have used the search button you would see that there are a lot of members here that have chosen a good intake as a first mod and have been more than happy with the results, after a good tune of course.

Intake was just an idea and i was trying to get some feedback.

You should probably stay away from the New Member Hangout forum if your going to be an a******

It's sad that I ask a simple question and I'm met with such hostility.

At least I didn't ask about a BOV as a first mod.

I'll make sure I research at least 14 other sources and consult a Factory Subaru mechanic before a post again, sorry.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm a straightup noob in the SOOB department, so please someone feel free to clarify my statement here...but my understanding is that WRX's in general run better RICH, right? So then by only increasing your airflow with an intake, even though the amount of increased air probably isn't substantial, don't you risk leaning out your AFR?
    2007 WRX Limited Wagon in WR Blue
    COBB AP/ Stage 1
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #3.2.1

Real music about Real life, check out:
    www.myspace.com/soulfatronic

The stock map does run rich. However once you start changing things with the intake or exhaust it leans out beyond spec.

I already said i'm not trying to be a d**K. When you claim to have done a lot of research on the site, i figured you'd know a little more about why adding an intake as a first mod wasn't the best of ideas.

1. The stock airbox and air induction system on a wrx is good up to around 300awhp(rule of thumb)

2. An aftermarket intake won't do anything unless you're running around 300awhp except make your car louder and let you hear the bpv a little better.

3. It offers minimal-no performance gains compared to the stock airbox on a stock motor.

4. Speaking from experience you'd more than likely regret buying it first once you've ridden in someone's stage 2.

5. You can't use a full cold air intake, thats what throws the maf readings off more than anything.

6. If you must have an intake as a first mod then get an sri from a name brand such as cobb or perrin.

As i said before i wasn't trying to be a d**k but if you would use the search button you'll find plenty of threads containing information on the pro's and con's of an intake on a stock and/or modified motor. As well as everything i've just stated, so why ask us to persuade you when all of the information is at your fingertips?

intake. stock vs CAI

aps intake?

NASIOC is down for Maintenance

If you must know what everyone thinks here's a general consensus on intakes...

happy modding
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold
    02 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by twitchit View Post
    1. The stock airbox and air induction system on a wrx is good up to around 300awhp(rule of thumb)Agreed - One option is to go with a hi-flow panel filter like a K&N or an equivalent.

2. An aftermarket intake won't do anything unless you're running around 300awhp except make your car louder and let you hear the bpv a little better.Disagree Any time you make it easier for the engine to perform its basic function of an air pump, you give it the opportunity to be more "efficient." There was actually a noticable increase in my freeway MPG when I did mine (and BTW...it was my first mod.)

3. It offers minimal-no performance gains compared to the stock airbox on a stock motor.See above

4. Speaking from experience you'd more than likely regret buying it first once you've ridden in someone's stage 2.12 whp and 15 ft. lbs difference at the wheels between stock and aftermarket on mine.

5. You can't use a full cold air intake, thats what throws the maf readings off more than anything.Not all of them do that. They vary from brand to brand. Check a few before you buy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twitchit
    2. An aftermarket intake won't do anything unless you're running around 300awhp except make your car louder and let you hear the bpv a little better.

3. It offers minimal-no performance gains compared to the stock airbox on a stock motor.
    Harman Motive Blog » 2007 STI Intake Test - Harman Motive Style

4. Speaking from experience you'd more than likely regret buying it first once you've ridden in someone's stage 2.
    An intake will not net you the gains of StageII, but it also is quite a bit cheaper.

5. You can't use a full cold air intake, thats what throws the maf readings off more than anything.
    CAI vs SRI doesn't skew the MAF readings, it's the design of the intake.

6. If you must have an intake as a first mod then get an sri from a name brand such as cobb or perrin.
    APS 65mm CAI
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Twitchit, sorry if I got defensive a bit.

I already read through two of those threads you posted.

I just really wanted some personal accounts and things like that.

As you can tell by the other members who posted below you, there are a lot of different opinions on intakes and other things.

Reading the Stock vs CAI thread and Aps Intake? threads just confused the hell out of me because everyone counters what the person before them had said.

I'm just looking for a little more of a personal account on the intake, not necessarily going to for sure get one. In fact I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards getting an uppipe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by suburaaron
    I'm just looking for a little more of a personal account on the intake, not necessarily going to for sure get one. In fact I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards getting an uppipe.
    General consensus is that in terms of power mods, a catless UP is the best "first mod" you can do for '02-'05 WRXs

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Harman Motive Blog 2007 STI Intake Test - Harman Motive Style

An intake will not net you the gains of StageII, but it also is quite a bit cheaper.

CAI vs SRI doesn't skew the MAF readings, it's the design of the intake.

APS 65mm CAI
    Why are you showing me a test done on an 07 sti? That doesn't make any sense considering the sti's motor is a completely different animal from the 04 wrx's

You can go stage 2 fairly cheap if you look for used and just look around. You can probably get there pretty tight budget.

Turbulence skews the maf readings. Cai's have more air turbulence because of longer length and more bends. If your comparing a cai and an sri of the same brand, the sri will obviously have less turbulence. Sure some well designed cai's will have less turbulence than some ebay sri's but if your buying good equipment then the sri will always have less turbulence.

APS is a good company...i forgot about them.

To the op-
    Just buy what you like. The information here should be sufficient. If i was you i'd just save a little and go stage 2, which you need your stock airbox or an spt intake anyway. You'll appreciate the added power over the extra little whooshing sound...i hope. The intake doesn't really play that huge of a roll on forced induction engines compared to naturally aspirated.

Good luck...you might want to look into some brake and suspension mods as well before you start adding any more power over stage 2.
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold

Oh...almost forgot...if you go stage 2 then an uppipe's strongly recommended. The increased egt's leave a chance that the cat in your up will melt and grenade the turbo...To me exhaust was something that i didn't want to spend a lot of money on. I got and uppipe and downpipe kit on ebay for like $200. As it turns out the pipes we're actually made pretty well. I was impressed. EM is a little more expensive but well worth investing in. Opensource is cheaper and is the preferred choice to a lot of members.

So figure this...

up and dp-$200
    Opensource Tune-$100-$150

...so you'd spend around $300-$350 to go stage 2...or spend around that on an intake...just some food for thought.
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold

An intake doesn't make your car with a stock motor more efficient. The motor can't run out the efficiency of the stock airbox hence the airbox being good up to 300awhp...which you already agreed to.

Thats also why it offers no performance gains. I was wrong in stating "no" performance gains. It offers very minimal performance gains with a GOOD TUNE.

I really don't believe you gained 12whp and 15tq off an intake on a stock engine. Show me a dyno chart because i'm calling bullsh*t.

A cai will skew the maf readings more than an sri...read above...you can get tuned for it of course but it will still only offer very small performance gains. The stock turbo will run out of efficiency before the intake system does...hence all of the above statements...
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Why are you showing me a test done on an 07 sti? That doesn't make any sense considering the sti's motor is a completely different animal from the 04 wrx's
    A decent intake, with proper tuning can still result in somewhat decent gains on the 2.0L - as I said before, there are better ways to go about it, however.

Turbulence skews the maf readings. Cai's have more air turbulence because of longer length and more bends. If your comparing a cai and an sri of the same brand, the sri will obviously have less turbulence. Sure some well designed cai's will have less turbulence than some ebay sri's but if your buying good equipment then the sri will always have less turbulence.
    And an SRI, even with a heat shield, will increase the IATs from stock levels. You can tune for turbulence, but there's nothing you can do for IATs.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.

UNYSOC

If I get a catless uppipe don't I have to do something to the 02 sensor or something?

I heard if you get rid of the cat you'll get a CEL?

I think i saw a post by Micah where he discussed this problem.
    2004 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by suburaaron
    If I get a catless uppipe don't I have to do something to the 02 sensor or something?

I heard if you get rid of the cat you'll get a CEL?

I think i saw a post by Micah where he discussed this problem.
    2.2K ohm resistor mod

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast