question about uppipe

This is a discussion on question about uppipe within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok so, im pretty new at this but... is it good for a 03 wrx to have just an uppipe ...

question about uppipe

ok so, im pretty new at this but...

is it good for a 03 wrx to have just an uppipe with no cat system?
    i heard from someone that in the 06+ wrx models that they took out the cat system and just had an uppipe (2.5L). but im not sure if the guys car im looking at is trying to convert to this system with an 03(2.0L).

if additional parts are needed.. downpipe, cat system... let me know, im just trying to figure this out right now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by O3 subaru WRX View Post
    ok so, im pretty new at this but...

is it good for a 03 wrx to have just an uppipe with no cat system?
    i heard from someone that in the 06+ wrx models that they took out the cat system and just had an uppipe (2.5L). but im not sure if the guys car im looking at is trying to convert to this system with an 03(2.0L).

if additional parts are needed.. downpipe, cat system... let me know, im just trying to figure this out right now
    The uppipe in the 2002 through 2005 has a "pre-cat" which is known to restrict exhaust flow prior to the turbo and may also break apart over time sending small bits of material into the turbo. Both of these are bad, and that's why people will either replace the uppipe completely, or "gut" the stock uppipe. Doing so will require you to place a 2.2k ohm resistor (look that up to confirm, but I think that's right) in the stock O2 sensor to avoid a CEL.

It's probably the most popular and commonly performed mod on 2002-2005 WRX.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    +1

Welcome to the club
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC