Just got an 09 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

This is a discussion on Just got an 09 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey, new member, new subaru, first post. Just picked up my 09 dark metallix, 5-door WRX. It's awesome, needless to ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    Just got an 09 WRX

    hey, new member, new subaru, first post.

    Just picked up my 09 dark metallix, 5-door WRX. It's awesome, needless to say. I traded in my '03 CL-s 6-speed. The only option that the car had was the fog lights.

    First thing I want to do is put in a stereo system. I have a HU, and 2 amps and a sub. I need to get speakers and find someone to install it all.

    One thing that I don't like is the stick shift shaft is too long. I would have liked to have it shorter. I am sure that I can put some after market though.

    So I will be posting on here for sure. This forum seems to have a lot of very knowledgable people.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User spt wrx 2k8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    743
    Hey, Welcome!

    I just joined the forum a few mins ago LOL...Congrats on the 09' I've had my 08' since 11/07, wonderful car Subaru makes - it's also my first Subaru as well - dont know how I got along without one for so long.

    I'm surprised you didn't ask the dealer about the SPT short throw.

    Quote Originally Posted by FPAEP View Post
    hey, new member, new subaru, first post.

    Just picked up my 09 dark metallix, 5-door WRX. It's awesome, needless to say. I traded in my '03 CL-s 6-speed. The only option that the car had was the fog lights.

    First thing I want to do is put in a stereo system. I have a HU, and 2 amps and a sub. I need to get speakers and find someone to install it all.

    One thing that I don't like is the stick shift shaft is too long. I would have liked to have it shorter. I am sure that I can put some after market though.

    So I will be posting on here for sure. This forum seems to have a lot of very knowledgable people.

  4. #3
    Administrator TheJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bro do you even live in the Dirty South
    Posts
    17,953
    I Support ClubWRX

    Smile

    Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:


    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    374
    congrats and welcome to the club!
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

  6. #5
    Registered User V10Climber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    25
    Welcome to the club. Shouldn't be too hard to find an audio place around you to do the install although you might need an adapter to make the hole in the dash a standard double din size. I know scosche makes one that ive been looking at (i have an 08 sti).

  7. #6
    Registered User AtomicFrawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Its NannerPuss!
    Posts
    85
    i just changed out the 6 1/2 in all four door, on my 09. Heads up, The factory speakers have a door adapter that is built into the speaker itself. You will have to drill new holes to mount the speaker.

    Check out this post for wiring info.
    The 1st comprehensive 2008 impreza dash & radio removal guide - NASIOC

    It seems like 08 and 09 wrx require some magic for the audio.
    R.I.P 2004 Supercharged Miata
    Hellllllooooo 2009 WRX

  8. #7
    Registered User mwake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicFrawg View Post
    i just changed out the 6 1/2 in all four door, on my 09. Heads up, The factory speakers have a door adapter that is built into the speaker itself. You will have to drill new holes to mount the speaker.

    Check out this post for wiring info.
    The 1st comprehensive 2008 impreza dash & radio removal guide - NASIOC

    It seems like 08 and 09 wrx require some magic for the audio.
    you just swapped out the speakers? what did you replace them with and does it make a good difference? I love my 09 wrx, but the sound system is weak. I was thinking about just changing the speakers if it was worth it..

  9. #8
    Registered User 08silverwrx90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mwake1 View Post
    you just swapped out the speakers? what did you replace them with and does it make a good difference? I love my 09 wrx, but the sound system is weak. I was thinking about just changing the speakers if it was worth it..
    I thought the sound system was weak on my 08 hatch so i went to tweeter and they said all i need to up the sound is a sub. i got a 10'' jl audio sub (all u need is a 10" because of the geometry of the car) and now im crusin. The speakers really do not need to be replaced. just buy a amp & sub!

  10. #9
    Registered User mwake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 08silverwrx90 View Post
    I thought the sound system was weak on my 08 hatch so i went to tweeter and they said all i need to up the sound is a sub. i got a 10'' jl audio sub (all u need is a 10" because of the geometry of the car) and now im crusin. The speakers really do not need to be replaced. just buy a amp & sub!

    is that the factory under seat sub or something else? where did you install?

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 08silverwrx90 View Post
    I thought the sound system was weak on my 08 hatch so i went to tweeter and they said all i need to up the sound is a sub. i got a 10'' jl audio sub (all u need is a 10" because of the geometry of the car) and now im crusin. The speakers really do not need to be replaced. just buy a amp & sub!
    The problem is I had a very nice system installed my Acura, and now in the WRX, when I listen to music, my ears hurt. I will defentelly install new HU, speakers, sub, and amps. It's just that it's expensive to do. Plus Tweeter is out of business, so only ABT store is left, and they charge a lot for labor.

  12. #11
    Registered User AtomicFrawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Its NannerPuss!
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by mwake1 View Post
    you just swapped out the speakers? what did you replace them with and does it make a good difference? I love my 09 wrx, but the sound system is weak. I was thinking about just changing the speakers if it was worth it..

    Pioneer 6 1/2 3way. Made a 200% diff. Im swapping the head unit soon. Putting a Kenwood nav system in. I have a 10 inch Kicker comp going in also.
    R.I.P 2004 Supercharged Miata
    Hellllllooooo 2009 WRX

  13. #12
    Registered User AtomicFrawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Its NannerPuss!
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by mwake1 View Post
    is that the factory under seat sub or something else? where did you install?
    The Factory sub is a joke. It sounds like crap. I even tried to adjust it. I just unplugged it and called it a day. Crutchfield has a factory head unit decoder. It allows you to use the stock head unit with your amps / eq /crossovers. I may go this way to retain the stock look but kick ass sound. But a nav system would be nice also.

    Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield!

    Chris
    R.I.P 2004 Supercharged Miata
    Hellllllooooo 2009 WRX

  14. #13
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    994
    Congrats on the car! I have the same one, color and all! I have the factory short throw shifter, and the factory upgraded subwoofer under the drivers seat.

    I test drove the WRX with both the short throw option and the standard. IMHO the short throw is a must. You should look into getting one, be it Subaru or aftermarket. I'm also hoping my WC Lathe Werks shift knob is waiting for me when I get home from work today!

    The stereo sounds good to me with the sub and the "Cs Auto" on in the MENU options... that makes a world of difference than with that off (might only be available with the factory sub upgrade though.. i dont know)

    My only issue is that my speakers in the door buzz horribly at low bass. Anyone have any info on how to take the plastic panels off to get at them??? I want to fix it myself; the dealer techs said they can't get it to stop buzzing (like they even tried, I'm sure)
    Last edited by elwray; 12-19-2008 at 11:58 AM.

  15. #14
    Registered User rexbanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    5
    Go for the Kartboy shifter and get the bushings while you're at it.
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Dark grey metallic sedan
    No mods.

  16. #15
    Registered User mwake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Congrats on the car! I have the same one, color and all! I have the factory short throw shifter, and the factory upgraded subwoofer under the drivers seat.

    I test drove the WRX with both the short throw option and the standard. IMHO the short throw is a must. You should look into getting one, be it Subaru or aftermarket. I'm also hoping my WC Lathe Werks shift knob is waiting for me when I get home from work today!

    The stereo sounds good to me with the sub and the "Cs Auto" on in the MENU options... that makes a world of difference than with that off (might only be available with the factory sub upgrade though.. i dont know)

    My only issue is that my speakers in the door buzz horribly at low bass. Anyone have any info on how to take the plastic panels off to get at them??? I want to fix it myself; the dealer techs said they can't get it to stop buzzing (like they even tried, I'm sure)
    I don't think I saw that, what is 'cs auto'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •