Newbie with questions.....

This is a discussion on Newbie with questions..... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello my name is Matt. Im 19 years young. I am new and also going to be buying a new ...

Newbie with questions.....

Hello my name is Matt. Im 19 years young. I am new and also going to be buying a new car in march 09'. I wanted a car that is fast and one that has a good base for mods. I have done my research and a subaru is what im mostly leaning for. The cars are built really well. In particular, a impreza wrx is what i want, an sti if i got a miracle. Something definatly with turbo lol. I plan to drive it to work, for fun, and maybe a little racing here and there. My max price I can spend is $15,000. I would like to hear all your opinions on what year is good, if this is the right car for me, what price is good for the mileage, and other opinions you would like to share. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just bought a 2005 WRX with 43,000 miles on it for $14,900. The front brakes and 3 tires need to be replaced, I believe I got a good deal. I just want to give you an idea of what others have paid.

You should rank your criteria for buying a car, if modding ranks high this could very well be the car for you.

Hi and welcome
    The WRX is an amazing car BUT...
    I bought my wrx when i was 18. It was an 04 with 55k on it and i picked it up for 13k even. If your going to do this make sure you shop around for insurance becuase it's going to kill you. It also loves to drink 93 octane like it's cool. Just look at the total cost of ownership and not the total cost of the car. Me being a college student had to give up my wrx not too long ago just because i simply couldn't afford it. I've since moved onto a 2000 civic si. It meets my needs considerably well, great gas mileage and my insurance dropped literally over $600 every 6 months. It's no wrx but unless you have any type of technical knowledge or are willing to learn really really fast please don't buy one. It will turn into a serious money pit. Not that thats a bad thing but, coming from someone who lived it, you can put that money to better use at this juncture of your life. I'm not saying don't buy it. I'm just saying you had better have a solid budget becuase it's really easy to run yourself dry easily. Parts aren't cheap, gas isn't cheap, insurance isn't cheap, it's just overall not a cheap car to own. Not to mention the cops love busting kids in wrx's. I had a clean driving record until i bought my rex. In the last year i've had 3 tickets. I'm not downing the idea, i'm just saying do your research and work your budget otherwise you won't have it long.

Sorry about the long pose i'm just really really animate about the whole subject considering i've lived through it. I'm 19 and i don't regret buying the wrx, i do regret not planning for it more.
    Last edited by twitchit; 12-16-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold
    02 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

you really want to buy the newest,lowest mileage,stock as possible,best maintiened wrx you can find. as you know these cars are modded alot and some people dont read about the cars never get them tuned and just slap parts on them, which in turn makes the engine internals hate you.

as said before you have to pay to play. be prepared for the costs of owning one. not saying the wrx isn't a great carat all. i was 18 when i bought mine and i was on my parents insurance before i got 7 points and now im on my own paying out the a** for it.

just read as much as you can on these cars before buying one make sure you understand how to safely mod them and so on.

read this:Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

The biggest thing is to make sure you don't get one that was abused. There is a big sticky in the car buying forum that has a ton of things to look for on a used car. Awesome read. Some people get these cars and really beat on them and the last thing you want to do is have your tranny blow up on you or something.

The parts tend to be kind of expensive and it's not quite as cheap to make power as a big V8 or something. Then on the other hand you don't have to swallow the 12mpg in the city that my buddy gets with his trans-am.

And definitely keep it within the law on the streets because the cops will be looking out for you and they won't be nice. There are tons of SCCA events and different club events all over the country. Join one and drive hard on a closed track where you don't have to worry about messing up and getting hurt.

Sorry for the long post. Hope to see you on the forums