Ok big decision and need input please... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Ok big decision and need input please... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by idipskoalmint A WRX would be a downgrade from a stock 350Z, let alone a modded one. no ...

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    A WRX would be a downgrade from a stock 350Z, let alone a modded one.
    no offense but i have had 2 350Z's and love my new 09 WRX more, the 08 would probably be a downgrade but the 09 is a blast, but i live in altitude also so N/A compared to Turbo sucks. Turbo FTW

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LHturbo View Post
    no offense but i have had 2 350Z's and love my new 09 WRX more, the 08 would probably be a downgrade but the 09 is a blast, but i live in altitude also so N/A compared to Turbo sucks. Turbo FTW
    turbo FTW no matter where you are.

Ok question then. I know that you guys have said that the 08 is pretty soft and that the 09 would be a better choice. What if I were to upgrade the 08? I know what Big Sky has said about the autox classes and I want to compete with the big boys really. I want to really push myself. I like the competetion. I don't mind losing at all. I just like the fun and the learning of pushing myself. So my question is if I were to purchase the 08wrx what mods could I do to it to improve it to be more competetive? Turbo upgrade? Suspension? And also since this is the only year the wrx is this way apparently, since the 07s and the 09s seem to differ from the 08 so much, is there going to be a large aftermarket support for the 08?

I think you just answered your own question.
    Blob Eye Syndicate #1000

Quote Originally Posted by teh-subie-man View Post
    Ok question then. I know that you guys have said that the 08 is pretty soft and that the 09 would be a better choice. What if I were to upgrade the 08? I know what Big Sky has said about the autox classes and I want to compete with the big boys really. I want to really push myself. I like the competetion. I don't mind losing at all. I just like the fun and the learning of pushing myself. So my question is if I were to purchase the 08wrx what mods could I do to it to improve it to be more competetive? Turbo upgrade? Suspension? And also since this is the only year the wrx is this way apparently, since the 07s and the 09s seem to differ from the 08 so much, is there going to be a large aftermarket support for the 08?
    It will cost you so much to turn that 08 into a 09 that you would have saved money if you had just bought the 09 straight up. I have seen people have the same problem with buying a wrx and turning it into an STi they spend so much money doing the conversion they would have saved money if they bought the STi straight up

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you can certainly upgrade the 08 to be competitive (even out compete) the 09- the problem is classing

both Stock and ST classes don't allow turbo swaps

if you really want to tinker and have the $, SP (specifically ESP) would allow such changes (under the backdate/update rules)

as far as I know the 08 has the same fuel pump/injectors and intercooler- a reflash and a 09 turbo should put you on par w/ the 09 as far as power goes (exhaust is free in SP so you'd go aftermarket there)

suspension wise, SP is pretty free- so you would go aftermarket there as well, making the 09 suspension upgrades a moot point

again this only pertains to SP class

also consider warranty as well- swapping the turbo (even though it is the 09 Subaru turbo) would almost certainly void the warranty in relation to anything to do w/ the engine
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12