?s about 05 4eat sedan - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on ?s about 05 4eat sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wrx0131 yeah....also its good to look for an aftermarket heat shield because the stock one will not ...

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    yeah....also its good to look for an aftermarket heat shield because the stock one will not fit with an upgraded turbo, and then if you do get a TMIC, it will get heat soaked
    With a little bit of trimming the stock heat sheild can and will fit over a vf34. I kept the stock heat shield on my car.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot
    why don't you just gut the stock uppipe. It's already wrapped in heatshields and has perfect fitment. Then you can apply that $200+ to getting a TMIC. Plus it will still pass a visual inspection.
    Gutting the OEM pipe will work, but the former cat location will cause some turbulence, which would not be there with an aftermarket one. If you're going to invest in an upgraded turbo, you should buy an aftermarket UP.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Gutting the OEM pipe will work, but the former cat location will cause some turbulence, which would not be there with an aftermarket one. If you're going to invest in an upgraded turbo, you should buy an aftermarket UP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    FOR THE LAST TIME

You do not need to purchase an AP. Open Source software is free and can be loaded with a tactrix cable which they have at precision tuning. Please follow this link and do some reading.

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Getting Started

Also, the stock TMIC with an upgraded turbo is going to get heat soaked fast. Look online for a used STI TMIC if you want to save some money.
    Still waiting to here back from both PrecisionTuning and TurboTrix regarding cost of installation and tuning. The total $ amount for the parts alone is roughly $3,600...this is doable!

1. Invidia Turbo Back Exhaust
    - Catted Downpipe
    - Cat Back N1 Cat Back

2. TurboXS Up Pipe + gaskets
    3. Deatschwerks 650cc Top Feed Cobb Spec Injectors
    4. Walbro Fuel Pump Kit 255Lph
    5. Subaru WRX/STi TD05H-EVO III Big 16G Turbo
    6. Defi Blue Racer Boost Gauge
    7. GP Moto Intake Elbow
    8. TurboXS WRX TMI
    9. open-source tune

About how much can I expect to pay for the installation and tuning of all this?

Additionally,
    I would like to cut the cost down a bit so I can possible upgrade to an 18G and 750cc injectors but it looks like the only place left would where I can save big $ is the TMIC.
    Any idea where I can an STI TMIC for my 4eat?
    Will it hold up to an 18G if I go that route?
    Is there a difference between the deadblot TD05 16G and the TD05H-EVO III Big 16G?

I might also go with the Auto Meter 52mm Mechanical Carbon Fiber Boost Gauge since its only $58 vs the Defi's $158.
    I did read that mechanical gauges are not as good as electronic ones, but saving an additional $100 would get me closer to that 18G.

I also busted my @$$ looking for used parts on ebay but had no luck since the ones I found were either incomplete or looked like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eat_Newbie View Post
    Still waiting to here back from both PrecisionTuning and TurboTrix regarding cost of installation and tuning. The total $ amount for the parts alone is roughly $3,600...this is doable!

1. Invidia Turbo Back Exhaust
    - Catted Downpipe
    - Cat Back N1 Cat Back

2. TurboXS Up Pipe + gaskets
    3. Deatschwerks 650cc Top Feed Cobb Spec Injectors
    4. Walbro Fuel Pump Kit 255Lph
    5. Subaru WRX/STi TD05H-EVO III Big 16G Turbo
    6. Defi Blue Racer Boost Gauge
    7. GP Moto Intake Elbow
    8. TurboXS WRX TMI
    9. open-source tune

About how much can I expect to pay for the installation and tuning of all this?

Additionally,
    I would like to cut the cost down a bit so I can possible upgrade to an 18G and 750cc injectors but it looks like the only place left would where I can save big $ is the TMIC.
    Any idea where I can an STI TMIC for my 4eat?
    Will it hold up to an 18G if I go that route?
    Is there a difference between the deadblot TD05 16G and the TD05H-EVO III Big 16G?

I might also go with the Auto Meter 52mm Mechanical Carbon Fiber Boost Gauge since its only $58 vs the Defi's $158.
    I did read that mechanical gauges are not as good as electronic ones, but saving an additional $100 would get me closer to that 18G.

I also busted my @$$ looking for used parts on ebay but had no luck since the ones I found were either incomplete or looked like crap.
    i bought my STi TMIC and STi pink 565 injectors.........on this forum!

as for the diff between deadbolt 16g and evoIII big 16g i dont know?? i thought they were the same since they are very similar in price

The cost of all the installation should be: Turbo (around 200-250), Injectors (about 200), Fuel pump (about 50-80), TMIC (should be free) Open source tune (free? if you have the software? im not familiar with opensource, but a pro tune is around 400-500), TBE (250-600) Uppipe (250-300....its annoying to install), as for the boost gauge and intake elbow i have no clue

I am basing these prices on what i had to pay so you might be lucky and pay much less than what i did....hopefully lol.....hope this helps

as for the diff between deadbolt 16g and evoIII big 16g i dont know?? i thought they were the same since they are very similar in price

The cost of all the installation should be: Turbo (around 200-250), Injectors (about 200), Fuel pump (about 50-80), TMIC (should be free) Open source tune (free? if you have the software? im not familiar with opensource, but a pro tune is around 400-500), TBE (250-600) Uppipe (250-300....its annoying to install), as for the boost gauge and intake elbow i have no clue

I am basing these prices on what i had to pay so you might be lucky and pay much less than what i did....hopefully lol.....hope this helps
    So, I'm looking at around an additional $1.5K.............that freaking TMIC is killing me Wish I didn't have to get it so I could spend that money somewhere else...At least JSCSpeed is having a thanksgiving sale and all their prices have dropped.....I'm going to wait till tomorrow and if I can't find an STI TMIC here, I'll go ahead and place the order for the following:

Invidia 02-07 WRX/STi 76mm (101mm tip) REGULAR Cat-back
    Invidia 02-07 WRX/STi Polished Divorced Waste Gate Downpipe with High Flow Cat
    Turbo XS 02-08 WRX / 04+ Legacy GT UpPipe
    Turbo XS TMIC for 02+ Subaru WRX
    WRX Intake Elbow
    Deadbolt 02-07 WRX/STi TD05H Modified Straight Inlet 16G Turbo
    DeatschWerks 02-07 WRX / 07-08 STi / 07-08 LGT 650cc Top Feed Injectors
    Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump & WRX/STi Fuel Pump Setup Kit
    Autometer Carbon Fiber 52mm 30 PSI Mechanical Boost Gauge
    Subaru OEM WRX/STi Uppipe-to-Manifold Gasket
    Subaru OEM WRX/STi Uppipe-to-Turbo Gasket

I just hope that I don't need to purchase any additional parts due to fitment issues...that would suck!

With a little bit of trimming the stock heat sheild can and will fit over a vf34. I kept the stock heat shield on my car.
    TurboTrix just got back to me with a quote, they said $1810 for installing and tuning everything below:

Invidia 76mm (101mm tip) REGULAR Cat-back
    Invidia Polished Divorced Waste Gate Downpipe with High Flow Cat
    TurboXS UpPipe
    Turbo XS TMIC
    WRX Intake Elbow
    Deadbolt TD05H Modified Straight Inlet 16G Turbo
    DeatschWerks 650cc Top Feed Injectors

Here is their original email:

"We can tune the car with either Ecutek which is $750 that includes the license fee and dyno time. Turbo back exhaust install is $120, uppipe/turbo install is $400, injector install is $250, Walbro install is $90, boost gauge install is $90, intake elbow is $50, and top mount install will be another $60 since we are installing it at the same time as everything else."

I'm going to wait to hear back from PrecisionTuning and hope that they charge a little less.

Question,
    Ecutek doesn't require additional hardware, does it?

Are you doing anything with the transmission?

At least plan on getting it flushed and filled with a good synthetic and put in a tranny cooler BEFORE you dynotune your car. Not trying to be a nag or anything, but a transmission failure could easily cost you as much as all the parts your getting ready to buy. It's gotta last you for at least a little while right?....

Good luck and let me know how non-modded 4EAT handles the power. Maybe i'll have to jump up to the next turbo eventually as well.
    Last edited by xsnapshot; 11-27-2008 at 11:03 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do the elbow yourself - remove front right wheel, undo pins holding fender liner in the front part of the wheel well (about halfway). Remove silencer, replace with elbow.

Paying $50 is

UNYSOC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc

Question,

Let me google that for you
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

TurboTrix just got back to me with a quote, they said $1810 for installing and tuning everything below:

Invidia 76mm (101mm tip) REGULAR Cat-back
    Invidia Polished Divorced Waste Gate Downpipe with High Flow Cat
    TurboXS UpPipe
    Turbo XS TMIC
    WRX Intake Elbow

Here is their original email:

"We can tune the car with either Ecutek which is $750 that includes the license fee and dyno time. Turbo back exhaust install is $120, uppipe/turbo install is $400, injector install is $250, Walbro install is $90, boost gauge install is $90, intake elbow is $50, and top mount install will be another $60 since we are installing it at the same time as everything else."

I'm going to wait to hear back from PrecisionTuning and hope that they charge a little less.

Question,
    wow! 750 for ecutek tune.....thats pretty pricey....although the turboback exhaust install price is good.......let us know what precision tuning says

wow! 750 for ecutek tune.....thats pretty pricey....although the turboback exhaust install price is good.......let us know what precision tuning says
    Do the elbow yourself - remove front right wheel, undo pins holding fender liner in the front part of the wheel well (about halfway). Remove silencer, replace with elbow.

Paying $50 is
    Pricey indeed wrx0131...I wrote back to them telling them all I have is $1.5K, hopefully they'll drop the price a bit
    If not, I'll have to keep waiting on PT...but they are taking forever to get back to me! They did reply with this thought:

"Yes we have received your email, I apologize we have not gotten you an estimate together yet. We are a little short handed this week and someone will get you an estimate before we leave tonight."

That was last night. And no, no one got back to me with the estimate Looks like I might have to actually pick up the phone and give 'em a call.

Thanks for the info on Ecutek Micah ....I did find their homepage on my own but wasn't 100% sure.

I will try to do the simpler stuff on my own idipskoalmint...but decided to get an estimate on everything just in case.

Also, I am adding a B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler. Would this do the trick xsnapshot?

Also, I am adding a B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler. Would this do the trick xsnapshot?
    Yes lol. That's probably actually a bit overkill for what you'll need. But yes. That should be fine. When you get your built tranny later, it will make a nice addition as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat_Newbie
    I will try to do the simpler stuff on my own idipskoalmint...but decided to get an estimate on everything just in case.
    The exhaust components/TMIC could all be installed by yourself (you remove the TMIC anyway) - this can be done in an afternoon pretty easily.

The Walbro/gauge are also fairly easy installs, and can each be done by yourself in about an hour.

Go to your local Subaru dealership and get the following gaskets from them (the CBE should come with a gasket):
    • Exhaust Manifold / Uppipe
    • Uppipe / Turbo
    • Turbo / Downpipe
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-27-2008 at 02:57 PM.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    Yes lol. That's probably actually a bit overkill for what you'll need. But yes. That should be fine. When you get your built tranny later, it will make a nice addition as well.
    The exhaust components/TMIC could all be installed by yourself (you remove the TMIC anyway) - this can be done in an afternoon pretty easily.

The Walbro/gauge are also fairly easy installs, and can each be done by yourself in about an hour.

Go to your local Subaru dealership and get the following gaskets from them (the CBE should come with a gasket):
    • Uppipe / Turbo
    • Turbo / Downpipe
    Yea, I almost forgot about the transmission cooler...glad you mentioned it

idipskoalmint,
    I might be able to install the elbow myself, but anything else that requires mechanical know how + tools or requires lifting the car might be too much for me to handle since I don't have a garage (I live in a condo and park my ride in our parking lot) or any tools....not to mention that I have never done any sort of work on a car before.

JSCSpeed is selling a gasket bundle for like $50, do dealers usually have better prices then this?

So tomorrow is the day I plan on ordering EVERYTHING!!
    Do you guys mind looking over my list one last time to make sure I'm not missing any parts? I would hate to order everything and find out that something can't be installed becuase I'm missing something else

Keep in mind that as of this moment my car is a 100% stock 2005 4eat WRX with 57K miles:

Invidia Turbo Back Exhaust
    - Catted Downpipe
    - Cat Back N1 Cat Back
    Turbo XS UpPipe
    Turbo XS TMIC
    WRX Intake Elbow
    Subaru OEM WRX/STi Uppipe-to-Manifold Gasket
    Subaru OEM WRX/STi Uppipe-to-Turbo Gasket
    B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

Also, any idea of the kind of numbers I can expect from this setup once it is tuned?

Thanks again and happy Turkey day!!!

• Uppipe / Turbo
    • Turbo / Downpipe
    Good day today!!!
    PrecisionTuning finally got back to me and I ordered all my parts!!

Here's what PT had to say:

"Sorry for the delay. You do not come off as pushy at all. We should have gotten back to you sooner. Labor would be $997.50 plus tax and the open source tune would be an additional $400. This is assuming you have all the gaskets and the proper tubing for you trans cooler. Have you upgraded the torque convertor and the valve body? Also, are you planning on using the stock blow off valve or do you have a different one?"

I pretty sure I am going to go with them since their quote is $1397.50 + tax which is MUCH better than the quote I got from TurboTrix ($1810).

I did reply to them with a few simple questions:
    Do they guarantee their work?
    Do they dyno tune the car?
    Does the $400 include the dyno runs?
    etc.

Now I wait again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.