?s about 05 4eat sedan - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on ?s about 05 4eat sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by idipskoalmint You'll need at least 565cc injectors, but spend the extra few $$ and get 650s (you'll ...

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    You'll need at least 565cc injectors, but spend the extra few $$ and get 650s (you'll be close to max on 565, if not maxed), and a Walbro is pretty cheap, and you'll want it.

If it were my setup, I'd do the following (I'd probably get Maddad V2 One-Piece DP + Buschur Racing CBE instead of Invidia though) ...

Invidia DP: $475
    Invidia G200: $600
    Grimmspeed UP (ceramic coated): $200
    DeatschWerks 650cc injectors: $350
    Walbro FP: $110 (get w/ setup kit, because it comes with new filter)
    3-port BCS: $50
    16G + ceramic coating: $1000
    Open-source tune from Precision: $400

Total: ~$3300

NOTE: You'll want some gauges to be able to monitor your car as well - the most popular setup is Boost/EGT/OP

To save some $$, look into purchasing your exhaust parts and gauges used (I'd buy new fuel system components and turbo, though).
    I can freaking kiss you idipskoalmint!!!
    You have made my day with that list and tips!!

What are/is a 3-port BCS?
    And why would you ditch Invidia for a “Maddad V2 One-Piece DP + Buschur Racing CBE”? Do they perform better or is it just a personal preference?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 4eat_Newbie View Post
    I also own both cars....which is why I would be happy if I am able to generate the kind of whiplash the Z gives in my WRX.

Thanks for the link, I will check them out....they're only an hour drive away so if I like what I hear I might go with them for all my tunning needs. thanks again man!
    Take a look at my mod list, my WRX will outperform my 350Z soundly at nearly every opportunity. The only variance being available torque below 2000rpm where the added displacement of the VQ35 really stands out. As someone else already pointed out, the return on investments for mods with the WRX is greater than with the 350Z.

I also agree that exhaust components should be purchased used, it's a no brainer.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat_Newbie
    I can freaking kiss you idipskoalmint!!!
    You have made my day with that list and tips!!

What are/is a 3-port BCS?
    And why would you ditch Invidia for a “Maddad V2 One-Piece DP + Buschur Racing CBE”? Do they perform better or is it just a personal preference?[/FONT]
    The Maddad exhaust has the wastegate gases plumbed back into the exhaust post-cat, which in theory, should net you more power (especially with a custom ECU tune). It also has a heat shield where the OEM 3rd cat goes, which will help you during inspection if your state requires a visual check.

I love the sound of the Buschur exhaust - it's amazing. I also don't like angled exhausts (e.g., G200).

A 3-port BCS will help control the boost a little better. My tuner offers his kit for $55. Another popular option is the GM BCS mod.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-25-2008 at 03:57 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Final list of mods:

Invidia WRX/STI Turbo Back Exhaust
    - Downpipe Catted Downpipe
    - Cat Back N1 Cat Back

GrimmSpeed Up Pipe 02-08 WRX/STI/LGT/FXT
    - Ceramic Thermal Coating YES
    - Ceramic Thermal Coating Color Black
    - Gasket: Manifold>Up Pipe YES
    - Gasket: Up Pipe>Turbo YES
    Perrin/COBB Light Weight Crank Pulley
    Deatschwerks 650cc Top Feed Cobb Spec Injectors
    Walbro Fuel Pump Kit 255Lph
    Deadbolt ZILLA TD05H Super 18G
    Cobb Accessport ECU v2.0 AP-SUB-001
    Defi Blue Racer Boost Gauge (52mm)
    Defi Blue Racer E.G.T. Gauge (52mm)
    PrecisionTuning custom map

I'm going to have to try and look for used parts and deals online cause I'm over my limit by exactly $1K....wife won't have that Any recommendations on reputable places I can find deals online?

I would also like to thank all you guys for helping me out with this, you have taught me a great deal in a very short time. I will be sure to post pics and vids before and after the installation is complete......can't wait!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat_Newbie
    Final list of mods:

- Cat Back N1 Cat Back

I'm going to have to try and look for used parts and deals online cause I'm over my limit by exactly $1K....wife won't have that Any recommendations on reputable places I can find deals online?

I would also like to thank all you guys for helping me out with this, you have taught me a great deal in a very short time. I will be sure to post pics and vids before and after the installation is complete......can't wait!!!!
    If you plan to run an 18G turbo, you'll need 750cc injectors. Purchase your turbo through Blouch, as it will save you $100 if you get it ceramic-coated, $200 if you don't (you should, though).

I forgot to factor in a larger TMIC - my apologies. SSAC makes one for $200. It's not the best on the market, but it'll suit your needs fine. With an 18G turbo, you're in the territory of possibly adding a FMIC kit, which XSPower offers one for $325 shipped. However, with the FMIC, you'll need to purchase an intake (I'd run a K&N Typhoon SRI with this kit, personally), so that will add to your $$.

I suggest you look into the 3-port BCS as well. I know I'm adding $$ to your list, but it will almost surely be beneficial (and in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't cost much).

Don't do bold items:

Buy OEM gaskets, not from Grimmspeed.

Save the $$ you'd spend on the AP and get an open-source tune. This will save you $700 if you planned to purchase it new.

Look into STRI DSD-SLM II gauges (they come in Amber or White) - this will save you $100 if you planned to purchase new.

The LW pulley will save you $100-150 (you don't need to tune for this, so if you want to run one, hold off and purchase this down the road).

That's my $$-shaving tips.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-25-2008 at 04:32 PM.

UNYSOC

The Maddad exhaust has the wastegate gases plumbed back into the exhaust post-cat, which in theory, should net you more power (especially with a custom ECU tune). It also has a heat shield where the OEM 3rd cat goes, which will help you during inspection if your state requires a visual check.

I love the sound of the Buschur exhaust - it's amazing. I also don't like angled exhausts (e.g., G200).

A 3-port BCS will help control the boost a little better. My tuner offers his kit for $55. Another popular option is the GM BCS mod.
    $579 for this

or $229 for this

I'd recommend you purchase the bosal instead. You can then mate it with a high flow cat, stock 3rd cat, or (catless)test pipe.

I have the stock 3rd cat on mine, it's just hollowed out.

I don't think you will need to bother updating the factory BCS. I'm still using the stocker and it's fine with controlling 20psi.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah
    $579 for this

or $229 for this

I'd recommend you purchase the bosal instead. You can then mate it with a high flow cat, stock 3rd cat, or (catless)test pipe.

I don't think you will need to bother updating the factory BCS. I'm still using the stocker and it's fine with controlling 20psi.
    The OEM 3rd cat would not be too restrictive on TD04, but running an aftermarket turbo, he'd want to at least replace it with a HFC, if not go catless.

The Bosal is a great piece, but he was looking for a HFC exhaust, and the only 3rd-cat replacement pipe (HFC) I can think of off-hand would be the Perrin, and that would make the cost as much as the Maddad. Also, is the Bosal 3" where it mates with the 3rd-cat pipe?
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-25-2008 at 04:39 PM.

UNYSOC

Final list of mods:

- Cat Back N1 Cat Back

I'd recommend you check out GRUPPE-S - I purchased quite a bit from them. I have the GoFastBits stealth pulley which I picked up from them. You might want to consider it along with Cobb and Perrin. Looks stock, weighs much less, is very slightly underdriven (not advertised as such, but when I had it next to the stocker, you could see the slight difference).

Oh and don't bother purchasing the Cobb AP. They can tune it for you via open source, no sense wasting money on the AP.

The OEM 3rd cat would not be too restrictive, but running an aftermarket turbo, he'd want to at least replace it with a HFC, if not go catless.

The Bosal is a great piece, but he was looking for a HFC exhaust, and the only 3rd-cat replacement pipe (HFC) I can think of off-hand would be the Perrin, and that would make the cost as much as the Maddad. Is the Bosal 3" where it mates with the 3rd-cat pipe?
    I'm running catless, and would recommend he do the same provided he can live with the smell, soot, and noise. I have no check engine lights and pass NJ inspection (plug in and pass at a local garage private inspection).

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd recommend you check out GRUPPE-S - I purchased quite a bit from them.
    Gruppe-S is good.

Look at our vendor section - often times, PMing their accounts on here will net you a better price than advertised on their site.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm running catless, and would recommend he do the same provided he can live with the smell, soot, and noise. I have no check engine lights and pass NJ inspection (plug in and pass at a local garage private inspection).
    Catless is definitely the way to go, if you don't have to worry about a visual inspection of the ECDs - there's no argument there.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-25-2008 at 04:45 PM.

UNYSOC

Catless is definitely the way to go, if you don't have to worry about a visual inspection of the ECDs (cats) - there's no argument there.
    That's why I've stuck with the gutted 3rd cat. I can pass a visual just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    $579 for this

or $229 for this

The OEM 3rd cat would not be too restrictive on TD04, but running an aftermarket turbo, he'd want to at least replace it with a HFC, if not go catless.

The Bosal is a great piece, but he was looking for a HFC exhaust, and the only 3rd-cat replacement pipe (HFC) I can think of off-hand would be the Perrin, and that would make the cost as much as the Maddad. Also, is the Bosal 3" where it mates with the 3rd-cat pipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I appreciate all the input but since this will be a car I drive to work with, I need to keep the "noise" and "smell" down.....can't have people at the office b!tching about my loud stinky car.
    This is why I would like to stick with the the Invidia N1 + downpipe with high flow cat. Plus, I like the way it sounds (nice growl to it) and looks.

I Support ClubWRX
    I appreciate all the input but since this will be a car I drive to work with, I need to keep the "noise" and "smell" down.....can't have people at the office b!tching about my loud stinky car.
    The N1 exhaust is pretty loud - if you want something quieter, look into the Borla Hush (w/ 3" adapter)

UNYSOC

Invidia DP: $475
    Invidia G200: $600
    Grimmspeed UP (ceramic coated): $200
    DeatschWerks 650cc injectors: $350
    Walbro FP: $110 (get w/ setup kit, because it comes with new filter)
    3-port BCS: $50
    16G + ceramic coating: $1000
    Open-source tune from Precision: $400

almost like my setup on my 05 4eat:
    cobb accessport v2 (have)
    mhi big 16g (have)
    dw 650cc injectors (have)
    pwr tmic (have)
    titek uppipe (need)
    erz downpipe (have)
    borla hush catback (have)
    walbro 255lph fuel pump (need)
    hallman pro rx bc (need)
    protune (need)

hope you enjoy your setup! i've been working on mines for a while. (poor college student)
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast