It's here!!!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on It's here!!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is my first Subaru and my first AWD experience. However after test driving a WRX in 2003, I knew ...

It's here!!!!!

This is my first Subaru and my first AWD experience. However after test driving a WRX in 2003, I knew I wanted one. So with my current lease running out I decided to get one. After a month of waiting, I was just ready for the 09 WRX I ordered to be here.

So far it is fun to drive, but I can't wait for it to break in so I don't have to watch the RPM's as much.

Here is the set up.

09 WRX w/ premium package in Spark Silver
    Short Throw shifter
    Center Armrest Extension
    Auto-dimming mirror with compass & homelink
    iPod adapter
    Sub/Amp
    Bumper cover

So far I think the iPod adapter and sub/amp are crap. When left connected in the vehicle the iPod does not continue playing where it left off when you turned off the vehicle. It doesn't play at all. You have to disconnect select what you want it to play and reconnect it. And let me tell you, it is very heard to reach with both hands when in a driving position. Anyone else have this problem?

Maybe the sub/amp combo will get better with age)

My first mod might be an in dash GPS nav unit. I'm looking for something with text to speech (that uses street names), the ability to take mainly voice commands, an outstanding iPod interface, bluetooth capabilities and the ability to interface with the existing steering wheel controls. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pictures can be found at:

Tank Adventures
    Last edited by poontank; 11-12-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added link to pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got the Ipod adapter and it's a bit quirky. I do agree that connecting/disconnecting it is a pain.

I didn't opt for the Subaru sub/amp. I had a JL 500/1 and 10W6v2 installed. Sounds alot better, but I had to turn the bass to about -5 and the treble to about +2. The stock speakers can't handle much bass without distorting. Maybe your sub will break in and sound better.

Post up if you find a nice GPS nav unit.

Quote Originally Posted by MNRex View Post
    I got the Ipod adapter and it's a bit quirky. I do agree that connecting/disconnecting it is a pain.

I didn't opt for the Subaru sub/amp. I had a JL 500/1 and 10W6v2 installed. Sounds alot better, but I had to turn the bass to about -5 and the treble to about +2. The stock speakers can't handle much bass without distorting. Maybe your sub will break in and sound better.

Post up if you find a nice GPS nav unit.
    I'm going with the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT with steering wheel control interface. It is scheduled to go in next Friday. I post some pics after install. I hope the upgrade at head unit will result in better overall sound. As of now, I'm really disappointed with the sound quality coming out of the stock package. Oh well, one more thing to upgrade

Congrats. The subaru sub/amp is terrible.

I went with the Kenwood GPS (it's a Garmin)...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

GPS unit

Oh yeah, I'll post a review in the blog section of my website after I use the Pioneer avic-f90bt for a while and get a good feel for it.

congrats man..... good luck with your Subie!!
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Stock just didn't cut it for me either...

Attachment 81122

Attachment 81123
    Last edited by Pavia; 10-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Is that Angus Young jamming on his SG? Nice set up with the sub.
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
    Blobeye Syndicate #311

Quote Originally Posted by McGizzle View Post
    Is that Angus Young jamming on his SG? Nice set up with the sub.
    That's him! First concert I ever saw was AC/DC, awesome show.

My setup isn't too powerful. I wanted sound quality over loudness. But it can get it done when I wish it.

Quote Originally Posted by poontank View Post
    Oh yeah, I'll post a review in the blog section of my website after I use the Pioneer avic-f90bt for a while and get a good feel for it.
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts, been thinking about this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    That's him! First concert I ever saw was AC/DC, awesome show.

My setup isn't too powerful. I wanted sound quality over loudness. But it can get it done when I wish it.
    What are the specs to your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by poontank View Post

So far I think the iPod adapter and sub/amp are crap. When left connected in the vehicle the iPod does not continue playing where it left off when you turned off the vehicle. It doesn't play at all. You have to disconnect select what you want it to play and reconnect it. And let me tell you, it is very heard to reach with both hands when in a driving position. Anyone else have this problem?
    I have the Ipod adapter in my 08 and don't have any of those issues. The only issue i had was figuring out what deck controls do what with the Ipod. But i don't have disconnect and reconnect to get it to play.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Update

Well I installed a Curt hitch last week and I'm getting all kinds of rattling of the exhaust against the hitch. Has anyone else had this issue or more importantly does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Curt hitch

The Curt hitch is now off and my WRX is much happier. It just sounded so bad banging and rattling against the exhaust. It had to go. Etrailer is going to take it back, but I think they should have paid for shipping too because they assured me this hitch would work.

I have the Thule T2 already and really like it. Does anyone know of any other hitch options? I see some have been installing the 2009 Forester hitch on the WRX. That doesn't look like a bad option, but it is kind of pricey.

The remote starter went in yesterday so life in wisconsin just got a tad warmer for me Its the Viper 5901 so if anyone has any questions or is considering this system feel free to hit me up with any questions.

The Pioneer AVIC F90BT will be going in after Christmas. I'll post a review then.

iPod placement

BTW, to any of you have after market head units with iPod adapters, where did you put the iPod? I really don't like the center council as it is really hard to reach. I'd like somewhere still out of sight, but easier to get at. Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.