Wrx questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wrx questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone everyone seems nice here so i thought i would inquire. I am a kid and am looking for ...

Wrx questions

Hello everyone everyone seems nice here so i thought i would inquire. I am a kid and am looking for my first real car. I have been driving a chevy blazer and it is not good. I was thinking about a few cars in the $4000-6500 range. I was wondering first off if i could get a wrx for 6.5 to 7k with high miles. Then i was wondering if buying a 100,000 mile car would be of concern and what would it require to maintain. I would only put maybe 10-20k mi on the car before selling it.
    Are these cars as fun to drive as they are made to be, and is the ride worth the not so great looks. I was also looking at v6 camaros, 300zx's and some others. Thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Prices on good examples are not quite that low yet. The Imprezas are just as fun as they're made out to be, but paying for their insurance is not (because the cars themselves are fun enough that lots, oh lots of people wreck them). Since you are young the insurance alone will be a real deal killer in my opinion.

In the buyer's forum there are several sticky threads with info on what to look for if you are still interested, but again, the prices haven't dropped to your target level quite yet it seems and the cost of owning one of these cars is higher than that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you yes you are right i guess that answers my questions. Too bad

i doubt you will find a wrx that cheap.

and yes these cars are very fun to drive. ever driven a camaro in the snow/rain or bad weather in gerenral? doubt it drive a wrx/sti in the snow youll never turn back.

AWD FTW!
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

M16
    Ya man same here i got my 1st REAL car bout a month and half ago, an 08 WRX its very nice, but i doubt that youll actually find a decent Impreza for that cheap. BTW im 17

Hey- Long post but here we go...

To Review:
    YES the cars are fun to drive
    NO you won't find too many in your $$ range

and "NOT SO GREAT LOOKS" are you kidding me... looks 2000x better than a camaro... F-body cars are just long and yuck. But really thats just my opinion so no worries

Plus as mentioned... NONE of those cars will handle weather like the wrx.

I had a 300zx back when I was like 16. It was the NA 1990 model... It was freaking awesome...however HORRIBLE in the snow. Granted, due to my will to not die...I learned how to control slides REALLY well. I suppose it was like drifting before I really knew what drifting was. Back before fast and the furious made it huge main stream.. realistically I coulda killed myself.

But looking back on it. It was a TERRIBLE idea. I know its sweet to get a sports car and all... Especially at the highschool age...I mean... I did it... but as much as I didn't want to admit it... i was sooo not safe in the car. I was a good driver, knew how to handle the car- but I drove incredibly too fast. Sold the car senior year of HS... bought a motorcycle that was even faster than it.. also a heck of alot of fun, but not really a good idea.

My advice... having been through the whole sports car in HS situation... Take that $7k, and find a used normal car. Something that won't cost your left nut in insurance and gas...(which the 300zx DOES and camaro would too). And be the kid with the NICE car. The quality wrx, 300zx, camaro, etc. that you're gonna get with that amount of cash REALLY isn't going to impress anyone any more than just a nice regular car will. Look for something a little more smooth around the edges than that blazer, but down to earth enough that you can get good MPG and not go in debt paying insurance.

Get a sports car after college. You'll be able to have more fun then. And most likely afford a better quality car. If I would have done this rather than drop money on a 300zx and a CBR crotch rocket.... I probly would have been able to be driving an STI now rather than a WRX... and that would be awesome!

Trust me. You sound like in the same situation I was back when I was your age.
    Last edited by corybb; 10-30-2008 at 03:06 PM.

LIST OF POSSIBLE REASONABLE CHOICES:

Just keep looking you can find these within that range often:

If you're the SUV type you can get some nice Xterra's for that money

Maybe a 90's model Audi A4 (these often are a pain mechanically)

2000 acura TL

2000 Infiniti I30 is a nice car

If you can find a Lexus SC 400 those were sweet

Mitsubishi Gallant

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Honda's are always great choices.. just get a nice one and leave it alone... no wings, or crap and that thing will last forever...

I'm telling ya... your car gets the crap beat out of it in HS and college.... get something normal now.. nice (fast) later.
    Remember: Any car made after 1950 can break the speed limit

M16
    Quote Originally Posted by corybb View Post
    Hey- Long post but here we go...

To Review:
    YES the cars are fun to drive
    NO you won't find too many in your $$ range

and "NOT SO GREAT LOOKS" are you kidding me... looks 2000x better than a camaro... F-body cars are just long and yuck. But really thats just my opinion so no worries

Plus as mentioned... NONE of those cars will handle weather like the wrx.

I had a 300zx back when I was like 16. It was the NA 1990 model... It was freaking awesome...however HORRIBLE in the snow. Granted, due to my will to not die...I learned how to control slides REALLY well. I suppose it was like drifting before I really knew what drifting was. Back before fast and the furious made it huge main stream.. realistically I coulda killed myself.

But looking back on it. It was a TERRIBLE idea. I know its sweet to get a sports car and all... Especially at the highschool age...I mean... I did it... but as much as I didn't want to admit it... i was sooo not safe in the car. I was a good driver, knew how to handle the car- but I drove incredibly too fast. Sold the car senior year of HS... bought a motorcycle that was even faster than it.. also a heck of alot of fun, but not really a good idea.

My advice... having been through the whole sports car in HS situation... Take that $7k, and find a used normal car. Something that won't cost your left nut in insurance and gas...(which the 300zx DOES and camaro would too). And be the kid with the NICE car. The quality wrx, 300zx, camaro, etc. that you're gonna get with that amount of cash REALLY isn't going to impress anyone any more than just a nice regular car will. Look for something a little more smooth around the edges than that blazer, but down to earth enough that you can get good MPG and not go in debt paying insurance.

Get a sports car after college. You'll be able to have more fun then. And most likely afford a better quality car. If I would have done this rather than drop money on a 300zx and a CBR crotch rocket.... I probly would have been able to be driving an STI now rather than a WRX... and that would be awesome!

Trust me. You sound like in the same situation I was back when I was your age.
    ya man i would suggest u go for a 98 prelude sh good handling, and good mpg my parents paid for the majority of the car so i was able to get it....

Yeah.

There are some nice looking Vtex Prelude's out there...the last model with the square head lights... as long as you don't ruin it with body work thats a nice car...

I wish I hadn't spent so much money on the 300zx and bike.

Honestly... I just threw money at those things... I'd be bad ass in an STI RIGHT NOW!!!!!

It just so freaking hard to get the big picture and save money now as a highschooler. Its at like 22 that you start seeing the picture haha

For the record I'm not some Dad trying to keep a kid outta a sports car...

I'm only 23... Just out of college... and i bought a 2004 wrx last fall.

So it was only like 7 years ago that I was in this EXACT situation. And I bought that 300zx money pit.

Really most colleges won't let you bring a car freshmen year anymore anyways... So you're gon drive this car for like 2-3 years in HS... then it will just sit for a year (not good) and then you really hardly use a car at college. and door dings, accidents, keyings, break-ins.... all happen at college. I'd rather that all happen to a normal car then a really nice car.

M16
    Quote Originally Posted by corybb View Post
    For the record I'm not some Dad trying to keep a kid outta a sports car...

I'm only 23... Just out of college... and i bought a 2004 wrx last fall.

So it was only like 7 years ago that I was in this EXACT situation. And I bought that 300zx money pit.

Really most colleges won't let you bring a car freshmen year anymore anyways... So you're gon drive this car for like 2-3 years in HS... then it will just sit for a year (not good) and then you really hardly use a car at college. and door dings, accidents, keyings, break-ins.... all happen at college. I'd rather that all happen to a normal car then a really nice car.
    HEHE man I hella want to get a motorcycle license, but my parents wont sign the damn form..anyways, bet its nice being 23 my 1st car was a dodge caravan, tipped it over and got a 99 civic SI riced it up sold it for 3500, and now bought(parents mostly) 08 WRX, but I am thinking of getting an 07 STI, or evo 9.

bike is fun, dangerous, license test (at least in Ohio) is next to impossible, I rode on temps.

It was great on gas but impractical.
    2 hours from home at college in Ohio... only could ride like 1/3 the year. can only take a back pack worth of stuff with you.

CRAZY fast. and it makes you a safer driver after having ridden a motorcycle.

But back to original post...Pman.

I know how annoying it is for someone to tell you not to get the car you want. No one would have talked me outta getting that 300zx probly...even if I had read this exact thread.. In HS you're stubborn... thats just the way 16, 17 and 18 is.. You don't wanna hear someone elses advice. But Those of us who have already been there...and no tooo long ago... we know what we're talking about.

i had 3 cars before i could drive . 92 civic hatch 91 integra ls and 95 vw vr-6. and to this day i wish i kept one of them. i bought the hatch when i was 15 supposed to a full motor swap never did traded that for the integra started to work on that and got bored so it sat on the side of my house for about 6 months bought the vr-6 a week before i got my license, 2months later i totaled it. i waited around for a year untill i was 18 and i bought my wrx at 18 i was in college and a vo tech school workin a sh*tty job just barely getting by with all my bills. now im 20 have a good job and can afford it all (but i have 7 points on my license now so my insurance just went up about 2 grand) get a garbage 1st car something is bound to happen to it a fender bender or what have you. wait untill you have the cash to do what you want with the car not just have the car and barley be able to live cause of the payments and insuarnce and what have you.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.