Trying not to sounds noobish...

This is a discussion on Trying not to sounds noobish... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys. I got a 04 WRX about two months ago. I have made a few posts around this forum ...

Trying not to sounds noobish...

Hey guys. I got a 04 WRX about two months ago. I have made a few posts around this forum but I didn't get any responses (probably putting the posts in the wrong areas) I'm not really on forums too often but I seen this one and figured this is where I should start??? Maybe that's why I have'nt been getting any repsonses, or you guys really just hate me. Either way, like I said I got a 04 WRX with about 38K miles on it and it came with a real bad ass after market exhaust. i'm still trying to learn all this car stuff but my friends tell me it's like a $1,500 exhaust. I put a mil eliminator on it because the dealership couldn't get the 'check engine light' off without going back to stock but I kept it cause the lose in horse power and everything. Other than that it's pretty stock. A momo steering wheel, tinited windows...yeah thats about it. Well if I'm not being casted away from this site, let me know if anyone has suggestions for something I should do. O and if you don't mind be a little detailed cause like i said I'm still learning this stuff and I know that right there is a turn off too, but I'm trying so whatever. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1) if you have a full turboback exhaust, you NEED ENGINE MANAGEMENT
    2) if you HAVE NOT bought an aftermarket catless uppipe, or gutted your OEM uppipe, you need to do so

like i said, if you have a full turboback, you can get tuned to something called "stage 2" doing that alone will give you pretty decent power gains and you will see the car running at its full potential.

do a search for engine management, cobb accessport, opensource, etc. and you can get more info in regards to that.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

First off welcome. I'm a newbie myself so I'll try and help you out. Sounds like you may have a catless downpipe. That would explain the check engine light. If you bought privately contact the previous owner and ask them the mods that were done to the car and get back to us. If you bought it from a dealership, they're gonna have no idea what to do so don't even bother. Take a look under the car and look for a cat, if you don't see one then that might be your issue.

If your mid pipe (pipe prior to the cat back exhaust) doesn't look stock...aka stainless finish, smooth piping than the previous owner probable upgraded the downpipe. If they did we hope for your sake that he got the car tuned. Cat back exhausts doesn't really give you that much power gains. So actually taking it off and going back to stock wouldn't hurt the performance that much, but if your friend is right and you have a $1.5k exhaust, eh leave it on...

but again check that downpipe/midpipe

Awesome. Thanks guys. From what I remember is that i do have a catless downpipe but I'll double check that later whenever I get outta work. Also, I need to buy a power programmer to upgrade to stage 2, correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    it honestly just depends on whats easier for you

i chose to go with the cobb accessport for my stage 2, rather than going opensource.

i was able to get a GREAT deal on the AP and found that for what i personally needed to do- it was a better decision for me.

many people prefer protunes or opensource over the AP though. i guess budget, future mods, and whether or not you have a tuner in your area will factor into your decision too.

desiree

Alright. And I did by off a dealer so how would I knw the mods that were done to the car? (if any)

Quote Originally Posted by Undone10 View Post
    Alright. And I did by off a dealer so how would I knw the mods that were done to the car? (if any)
    Hey man, welcome. This happens that someone buys a car with mods from a dealer and the dealer really doesn't know enough to make sure the car is running as it should.

Post up some pics, and I'm sure we can tell you what you have as far as non stock parts.

Also, check out the Tri State regional forum and come out to some of the local Philly meets. We have a meet coming up in Nov. out at Victory Brewing in Downingtown.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    1) if you have a full turboback exhaust, you NEED ENGINE MANAGEMENT
    That depends on the year. 2002-2003 didn't need management with a turbo back exhaust.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    That depends on the year. 2002-2003 didn't need management with a turbo back exhaust.
    but he has an 04

desiree

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    but he has an 04
    So you're saying I should actually read the thread??? Geez, this **** is getting complicated.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    So you're saying I should actually read the thread??? Geez, this **** is getting complicated.
    pwned by skimming the OP. I hate when that happens.

Arrow

Heres some photos. Don't know if you can actually see too much with these ones though.
    - 2011 WRB STI

Cobb stage II tune ~ Invidia TBE * Cobb Intake

You need to get the car tuned and go catless in your up or go back to a stock downpipe before you damage the engine.

I doubt you have a $1500 exhaust since the most expensive exhaust for your car is the catted Cobb exhaust and that's only $1225, and you said you're not catted which means it's cheaper than catted version. There's a couple of other high quality non-catted exhausts out there but they're all the same price. You should be able to tell what brand it is really easily: Just look at the exhaust tip. Any good quality exhaust will have the name of the company etched onto the tip.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 10-19-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

welcome to the club.

very clean car looks nice.

+1 on using the search on this site youll find alot of info. also with you being a "noob" you wont get as much bad feedback if you search first instead of asking questions that have been answered so many times before.

goodluck
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

How am I damaging the engine the way it is now?
    - 2011 WRB STI

Cobb stage II tune ~ Invidia TBE * Cobb Intake