New member, new to modding

This is a discussion on New member, new to modding within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I just want to start off by saying I am entirely new to modding but am eager to ...

New member, new to modding

Hi all,

I just want to start off by saying I am entirely new to modding but am eager to learn. I just graduated college, and due to the fact that I now have some cash flow, I want to start modding my '04 WRX. The car as of right now is completely stock with 80k miles on it.

I am looking at the Cobb turbo back, access port, and Cobb sf intake, for my first mods. However I am having second thoughts, and am in need of advice.

Am I crazy to be throwing down this much money ($2000) with the car having 80k on it? Would you guys recommend selling the car and buying a newer (or even same year) model with say 25k miles on it, and then going to town on it?

I love the car, and I haven't had a single problem yet with the car.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    those are great mods to start with, however you can do it for cheaper than 2k.

the set up you listed is referred to as stage 2 and i was able to do it for less than $1,000 (accessport, used: $475 + turboback exhaust, new: $350) i would skip out on the intake, as the stage 2 mapnotes urge you to use your stock set up.

welcome to the club and keep us updated on your mods.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Wow, I am impressed that you were able to do it that cheaply. I am going to have to look around more. Finding an unmarried access port seems to be a hassle. Hopefully ebay or something similar will help me there.

Quote Originally Posted by AsunderAmity View Post
    Wow, I am impressed that you were able to do it that cheaply. I am going to have to look around more. Finding an unmarried access port seems to be a hassle. Hopefully ebay or something similar will help me there.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think ebay is more difficult to determine an unmarried accessport.

Best bet if hte above is true is to buy locally.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah it really is a hit or miss kind of thing. i bought mine unmarried from a guy on nasioc that lived in chicago

i would definitely try to buy locally first though.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think ebay is more difficult to determine an unmarried accessport.

Best bet if hte above is true is to buy locally.
    You probably have a point there, but I live up in NH in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hicks. The odds of me finding a user access port locally seem pretty slim.

Hm, but back to my original question, am I crazy to want to start modding now with my car having 80k miles on it? I mean I know I have to start watching the transmission soon, as well as do the timing belt at 105k...

My other option of course would be to wait awhile, save up some money, sell the car and purchase a newer model, with lower mileage.

Opinions?
    wrxtreme06?