19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 09 WRX

16 84.21%
  • Used Evo 8

1 5.26%
  • Used Evo 9

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX or Used Evo? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I currently drive a 2007 Honda Fit Sport and I am looking into something with more power. I ...

09 WRX or Used Evo?

Hey guys, I currently drive a 2007 Honda Fit Sport and I am looking into something with more power. I was considering a new civic Si but now I have my mind set towards an all wheel drive turbo platform. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on either to get a used evo 8 or 9 or a new 09 wrx. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    its going to be VERY hard to find an unmolested evo. i can guarantee that almost 95% of them have been completely beat up on and they will have a ton of miles, no warranty, etc etc.

with that said, i'd go with the 09.

IF and only if you happen to find... lets say a used evo thats owned by a 78 year old man, completely stock, with 5k miles... i'd go for that. but until then... =)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

What about the 09 Lancer Rallitek?
    2008 DGM Sedan WRX - Sold as of 1/13/09

2006 CGM WRX - Stage 2 as of 1/24/09

I have not looked into the lancer that much, I believe its just a detuned version of the evo X. One of the reasons why I am leaning towards the Subaru is because I think the whole looks a little more subtle. I like Mitsubishi I just think Subarus are made a little better.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the 09 ralliart is going to be AWD with anywhere from 235-240 hp and 250 tq. i've read that they might only make it in a 6 speed auto with sport shift though.

like the other guy said, its still an option that you could look into.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

you guys are right it is a good alternative but if it is not going to come with a manuel transmission then I would not prefer it.

I bought an Evo 9 MR, new, back in 2006. Absolutely fantastic car, but I sold it and am now driving an '08 WRX.

As much fun as the Evo was, I'd suggest you not buy one used.

First, as others have pointed out, you're not going to find one that hasn't been beat on or questionably modded. I sold mine through a dealer, and they were stunned to find that it was unmodded and unbeat-on. Some guy bought it for $26,000, sight unseen, and drove over 200 miles to pick it up. Given that the car had almost 40k miles on it, and I paid $31,000 for it, new, you can see that the unmessed with ones really, really hold their value. I don't think you're going to find one like that, and if you do, you'll pay as much if not more for it than you'll pay for a fully loaded '09 WRX.

Second, no warranty. The cars are expensive to fix. Expect to spend a few thousand within the first year of ownership. Mine had no problems, but, again, I didn't beat it, and I got rid of it before the usual suspects could break.

Third, they eat tires. I drove conservatively and went through a set of 4 tires every 9-10k miles (down to the cords). And a lot of guys I know were going through them every 7k miles. At $1000 for 4, it gets expensive, fast.

Fourth, they eat brakes. Again, you'll be replacing the pads every 9-10k miles.

Fifth, the WRX really isn't that much slower, stock. Sure, it doesn't have the suspension (the MR suspension is truly peerless in cars under $50,000 -- if you get an Evo, get the MR, it's a six speed and has the better suspension), but in terms of raw speed, its close enough that $2k of parts and a tune will have you running with a stock Evo on the street.

I'm not bashing the Evo -- far from it, I really loved that car -- I'm just saying that buying one is a huge commitment in terms of maintenance time and cash. If you're willing to rebuild a car that's been hacked on, pay $1500 every 6 months for brakes and tires, and set it up right, you can go beyond where you can go with even a heavily modded STI.

Given that you're coming from a Fit, and that this will be your first all wheel drive car, going all out and getting the Evo probably isn't such a hot idea.

No comment on the Ralliart, yet, as I haven't driven one. On paper I think the WRX is probably the better car. And paddle shift doesn't really appeal to me. Who knows, though, all the car mags are raving about it like it's the second coming.

Go for the used evo 9. Tons of potential there. 2nd choice would be the 09 WRX then the evo 8.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

Quote Originally Posted by 1trackmind View Post
    Go for the used evo 9. Tons of potential there. 2nd choice would be the 09 WRX then the evo 8.
    Yeah the Ralliart definitely doesn't come with a manual option, it will only be the SST and it's the detuned version and won't have the SS shift option that the EVO X has...

It was in the running for my next car till I found out no manual...

I have no experience with the EVO, but from your description, I would suggest the WRX.

I just picked up a 2009 last week, had a 2005 before that, absolutely LOVE the 2009, even more than my 2005, which was such a great car.

The 2009 is an excellent mix of comfort, speed, handling and looks. Its so much easier to drive around town compared to the 2005, its comfortable and somewhat more mature looking, yet its still a fast, fun to drive car that everyone loves.

And to think, I havent even taken it above 4k RPM yet,

Both cars are fine pieces of machinery. I love my subaru so I am bias and would say buy the WRX. I also am not a fan of buying used sports cars if they don't have a substantial warranty to go with it. That being said I always lean towards new over used.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyzm0 View Post
    Both cars are fine pieces of machinery. I love my subaru so I am bias and would say buy the WRX. I also am not a fan of buying used sports cars if they don't have a substantial warranty to go with it. That being said I always lean towards new over used.
    Ya I am gonna agree with you, since buying a new car its gonna be hard to ever get a used car again. My Honda is the only car I have had that hasent given me any problems becasue I bought it new and have taken great care of it. So now that most of the people so far have deiced on the 09 wrx, does anyone know the potential of a down pipe, up pipe, cat back exhaust and a cai on the 09 wrx? I wanna get 300 awhp is this reasonable with these mods?

Here's a 300-350 whp potential build...

AVO 380 Turbo is Killer!! 300 WHP Baseline Tune from Rallitek

Thanks for the link but it sounds like I wont be even close unless I upgrade the turbo.

I'm pushing 225 whp and 300 wtq with a stage 1 perrin map...

You can get a bit more stage 2, but the stock turbo hasn't been pushed to those kinds of limits...

With a new TMIC and the stage 2 mods you'd be pushing upper 200s but chances are that's all you're getting with the stocker...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast