New Member Intro!!!

This is a discussion on New Member Intro!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, whats up. My name is Jerry, and I currently drive an 03 Honda Civic LX. Obviously this is ...

New Member Intro!!!

Hey guys, whats up. My name is Jerry, and I currently drive an 03 Honda Civic LX. Obviously this is a weak car, though very reliable and fuel efficient.

I've always wanted to drive something crazy like an STi. However, being a law student right now, I don't really have that much money. Therefore, my plan is to buy a used 04-06 STi maybe 3 years from now, after I've been working for a while. I'm hoping to spend less than 20k and use it as a weekend car.

I'm just wondering, what is the reliability of a 5-6 year old STi, and is it hard to find one in good condition? Also, how much would routine maintenance cost annually?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Welcome Jerry. This site has a lot of great info. I suggest getting to know the stickies & the search button. If anything, try to find a stock STi. You don't want to buy a used, modded STi that probably has been beaten on. As far as maintenance goes, if you DIY you will save a lot of money & learn about your car at the same time. For example, if you get a 30K service done at the stealership, you pay about $500. If you DIY, you spend about $100 & a few hours of your time. Enjoy.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    For example, if you get a 30K service done at the stealership, you pay about $500. If you DIY, you spend about $100 & a few hours of your time. Enjoy.
    damn here at chevy its 650

it shouldnt cost to much if u get an unmolested one. brakes will be expensive im dreading having to replace mine but all in all you do have to replace all 4 tires at once but as long as u dont beat the hell out of it, it should be just like a regular car

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu83 View Post
    "...crazy like an STi."............................................. ... law student...
    -------------------------------
    Future lawyer driving a "crazy" car!!!??????
    Last edited by subeerex; 10-03-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Haha, but only on the weekends. During the weekday I plan to drive (leased of course...) the prerequisite BMW/Benz/Audi :-)

Then of course the new model STi is pretty classy looking. If I can scrounge up enough money I may consider buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu83 View Post
    Hey guys, whats up. My name is Jerry, and I currently drive an 03 Honda Civic LX. Obviously this is a weak car, though very reliable and fuel efficient.

I've always wanted to drive something crazy like an STi. However, being a law student right now, I don't really have that much money.
    Don't. Give it a couple of years after you're out of school, get any loans paid off, get your house set up, and then buy the toys. Three years after law school you can pay cash for a new STI, or whatever the equivalent is, then.

One of the most useful snippets I heard while in law school was that if you live like a lawyer when you're a law student, you'll live like a law student when you're a lawyer.

It really does prove true. Even in a business where we make a really nice living, the first couple of years can be tough, no matter how much you're getting paid. I got paid a ton right out of law school, and instead of buying toys I paid off the loans right away, kept the spending under control, and now (8 years out) I'm a hell of a lot happier than my friends who went out and spent $ right away. They're still making $1k/mo loan payments and living in a rented house.

Quote Originally Posted by rule10b5 View Post
    ......................., get any loans paid off, ...........................

+5

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club Jerry!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Rule 10b5 huh... you a Secured Transactions lawyer?

Hey guys, could you tell me how to get more involved in this community?

For example... what should I do on the local board... what questions I should ask... etc...

whatever questions you have man. the search function helps alot but just jump right in the topics there may be something u really kno about that someone else has a question about