New to subaru

This is a discussion on New to subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hows it going folks, i just purchased my 07 wrxt on saturday. i have never had a car of this ...

New to subaru

hows it going folks, i just purchased my 07 wrxt on saturday. i have never had a car of this caliper. this may sound like a stupid question but is there a certain way to drive these cars it has 14k miles on it and it does not have a turbo gauge so i have been wondering if there is things you should NOT to to keep the turbo in good shape

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you have done any highway driving before u shut off the car let it idle for 30sec to a a minute to cool the turbo. and welcome to the club and have fun with ur suby

Drive it like you stole it.
    I always let my car warm up for a few minutes.Always.
    I also let it cool down after a hard drive for about 20-30 seconds.There are conflicting reports as to whether this is needed but i do it anyways just to be safe.

My car gets so hot that it heats up my garage for the next few hours.I also see heat vapors rising from the hood scoop all the time but i guess it just acts as a vent where a solid hood would contain the heat.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would recommend following the instructions in the owners manual. If you didn't get one then I would recommend getting one.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Static "warm-up" is supposedly bad for the engine due to low oil pressure. I've heard it is better to turn the key to accessory for about 5 seconds to let the fuel pump activate, start the car, and drive off slowly until the engine warms up. As far as idling after driving it, I understand the turbo doesn't need time to cool off. This is something that was done years ago for older turbos that weren't so advanced. Of course, I could be totally wrong. Regardless, enjoy your car.
    Blob Eye Syndicate #1000

Subaru has turbo's that are both oil and water cooled and in the manual I believe they recommend that you let it idle for 30 sec after hard driving before turning the car off.

I have been letting it idle for 30 sec no matter how I drive just to get into the habit of doing it.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current