08 WRX preffered over 09
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 08 WRX preffered over 09 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been hearing everyone talk about how much better the 09 Impreza is over the 08. I myself wanted ...

08 WRX preffered over 09

I have been hearing everyone talk about how much better the 09 Impreza is over the 08. I myself wanted to just give some props to the 08. I just purchased my first Subaru and looked at a 08 and 07 STi and 09 Impreza and the 08. Before I get ridiculed by everyone I want to state my case. I am a 32 year old professional with a fairly sizeable income. I deal with many high end clients and will often take clients to meeting or to dinner in my own car. I toiled for months over getting a BMW 3 series and an Audi A4 but am pretty conservative when it comes to spending money. I finally decided on the Impreza to give myself a sports car feel but in a family sedan (I am married and have a 10 month old baby). Even thought the 08 does not have as much HP and lacks some of the handling upgrades I feel it looks more like a car for a 32 year old business man such as myself. I do plan on upgrading the car to get a little more performance out of it. To me though, this was better than having to replace the tires in favor of some that would do better in the upcoming New England winter. The rims in favor of some that are not those horrible grays. Seats and metal pedal's since neither of these scream out that I deserve to be making six figure commissions. I suggest that if any of you are business professionalís that are getting up there in age. Go out and grab yourself one of the 08 Impreza's before they are all gone. The deals to be had are really great. Mine has every option that is available including the short throw shifter and I paid 22k brand new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hm....Subaru has a car for your demograph...it's call the Legacy.

And I'm not sure what tires came on the 08 but I'm fairly sure it's still the re-92's. Meaning you better plan on upgrading to safely drive in the winter with them. If they a brand new you can do it but once they get around 10k on them they start to get a bit sketchy.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    +1

An LGT has "you" written all over it.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post

And I'm not sure what tires came on the 08 but I'm fairly sure it's still the re-92's. Meaning you better plan on upgrading to safely drive in the winter with them. If they a brand new you can do it but once they get around 10k on them they start to get a bit sketchy.
    Ouch.
    I think he just called you old!
    Actually, you're just the type of buyer Subaru was trying to sway with the 08 version, or the renomer "S-GT" thats coming out.

Guy getting older... new respectable job... Probably grown out of the hot rod phase...

But I second you; the 08 is a good buy still despite its short comings simply from the fact that "we" tinker with our cars anyways, and they're cheap now.

-RL

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmd09 View Post
    Ouch.
    I think he just called you old!
    Not really. He did himself in by stating he was 32....

On a more serious note...there are plenty of "young professionals" who drive legacy's. I was considering one before my recent purchase.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

If you want the 2008 WRX then I am not going to bad mouth you for that. It's a car you want and it's your decision, so go for it.

The people that drive me nuts are the people that buy the 2008, then whine about the 2009 being better. Usually cars get better with the next model year and they want Subaru to give them the next car because it is better. Be happy with what you have, that is what matters

On a Side note... since when is 32 old??!! lol... I might be more sensitive to the comment since I am 32 also... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post

The people that drive me nuts are the people that buy the 2008, then whine about the 2009 being better. Usually cars get better with the next model year and they want Subaru to give them the next car because it is better. Be happy with what you have, that is what matters

On a Side note... since when is 32 old??!! lol... I might be more sensitive to the comment since I am 32 also... lol
    I'm a little irked by Subaru's move. My wife bought the '08 that I'm driving these days, (in 2007) well before anyone knew they were bumping up the engine.

To see Subaru make a change that entails a 41 hp and and 18 lb.-ft. bump from year-to-year, and substantially upgraded suspension is a heck of a slap in the face. Sure, you expect changes over the course of a couple of years, but a 9% hp bump after one year of a new model is a kick in the groin to loyal Subaru customers. And it's not like Subaru didn't know what it was going to do by the time the '08 models hit the showroom floor. Had I known, I certainly would have waited to buy one.

Sure, it doesn't really matter, I was going to modify it, anyway (and I think the true limit of the current engine is the plastic intake manifold, to say nothing of the glass transmission), but it still grates on me a little bit. It would have saved me the trouble of messing with the suspension. And it would have made the issue of a turbo swap that much less pressing.

Sure, I'll eat a stock STI, after all the work I've done, but it would have been nice to have been running that close to it right off the floor. Aren't the 0-60 times only .1 or .2 off of each other with the '09?

And I suppose there's a resale value argument to be made.

Thirty-something isn't that old. I'm 33 -- I love rolling into the office or court in my car, or on my Duc. It annoys the other lawyers. They spend $60k or so on their M or S series, only to realize that, yeah, they look cool, but I can run with the M, and eat the S...in my $30k WRX.

Getting told to "grow up" or "act the part" is a large part of the fun of refusing to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
    Hey man,
    I was just kidding, considering I am pushing 30 myself.
    -riz

Thanks for all of the thoughts. I also thought it might be good to point out that I did sell a Shelby Cobra Replica two months ago, that was putting out a little short of 400 rear wheel HP. The 0-60 time was at about 3.6 seconds the last time it ran. In case you wanted to know this is not far short of the Ferrari Enzo and matches a new Porsche Turbo. Clients appreciated that car though more than I feel they would a Sti.

I'm also happy with my "undercover beast". I appreciate its more mature look, for similar business reasons.

Even though, I sure would appreciate those hp's and that bit of torque. Most of it because my last VW GTI Revo is faster than my WRX 2008

I hope Tactrix get their cable working for WRX2008 soon! (for my South American ECU).

Cheers.

Choosing the model is a matter of taste and I understand if a job expects a certain look for "selling" purposes.

I'm 41, electrical engineer and supervisor at the power utility, father of a 9 year old with a few nephews. Everyone expected me to have a "mature" car, a type of sedan, sporty, and big. Although my job doesn't need that look, some coleagues expected the same.

In my budget I could've chosen some V6 models, none of them was RWD or AWD. This was important, along with sporty, standard, but comfortable for the girl and others. Subaru had me interested for a few years just for the technological/mechanical advances. I almost chose a 2008, but knew the hp was low and overall could be improved. Improvement came and that's what I have...everyone thinks it's a great car, even if a bit "inmature".

What I feel from most is envy; I can carry my family and, when appropiate, go from 0-60 mph in about 5 secs and take a tight curve with ease at that speed. I can drive as safe or safer than the other models on bad weather, and probably faster.

That's the 5 door 2009 WRX, and I'm very happy.

Denile ain't just a river, ya know

Kidding aside, I don't see the point of your post. How is the 08 a more mature WRX? The only difference, really, between the 08s and 09s are the performance aspects, which you just admittedly said you wanted to upgrade. Is the now-factory lip kit too boy-racer for you or something? I'm truly lost at why you think the 08 is more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchris76 View Post
    I have been hearing everyone talk about how much better the 09 Impreza is over the 08. I myself wanted to just give some props to the 08. I just purchased my first Subaru and looked at a 08 and 07 STi and 09 Impreza and the 08. Before I get ridiculed by everyone I want to state my case. I am a 32 year old professional with a fairly sizeable income. I deal with many high end clients and will often take clients to meeting or to dinner in my own car. I toiled for months over getting a BMW 3 series and an Audi A4 but am pretty conservative when it comes to spending money. I finally decided on the Impreza to give myself a sports car feel but in a family sedan (I am married and have a 10 month old baby). Even thought the 08 does not have as much HP and lacks some of the handling upgrades I feel it looks more like a car for a 32 year old business man such as myself. I do plan on upgrading the car to get a little more performance out of it. To me though, this was better than having to replace the tires in favor of some that would do better in the upcoming New England winter. The rims in favor of some that are not those horrible grays. Seats and metal pedal's since neither of these scream out that I deserve to be making six figure commissions. I suggest that if any of you are business professional’s that are getting up there in age. Go out and grab yourself one of the 08 Impreza's before they are all gone. The deals to be had are really great. Mine has every option that is available including the short throw shifter and I paid 22k brand new.
    You're probably not aware of this but it is no longer called the WRX for the 2009. The 2008 still exists under a different trim level known as the Impreza GT for 2009. It will not be too late (probably for another few years) for any business professionals to buy what you've recommended.

So technically, you will not appreciate the WRX as you have already mentioned as it is a different trim.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

^^^^^^ However though, the "new" 09 GT only comes with the auto transmission.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

I'm simply stating that the 2008 WRX has become a carry over for the 2009 known as the Impreza GT. The OP was stating he was happy with his 2008 WRX and was comparing it against the 2009 WRX. But the 09 WRX has become a different trim level and more performance oriented than that of the 2008 or Impreza GT's softer performance; perfectly catered to consumers such as the OP.

And given the fact he's a business professional with a family, I assume he has an optional 4-speed automatic 08 WRX.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-03-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast