08 WRX preffered over 09 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 08 WRX preffered over 09 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by guitarchris76 I finally decided on the Impreza to give myself a sports car feel but in a ...

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchris76 View Post
    I finally decided on the Impreza to give myself a sports car feel but in a family sedan ...
    You tell yourself that. The body roll on the 08 takes away any "sports car feel". The Altima has a sportier feeling ride.

I do plan on upgrading the car to get a little more performance out of it.
    Yes, a new turbo and IC, better suspension, bigger sway bars and an upgraded exhaust. Hang on, that's what the 09 is.

Edit: for the record, I have the 08. It's a nice car, but I feel as though it's lacking something compared to the 09.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 12-09-2008 at 08:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I drove my 08 to the dealer again today (with a colleague to offer a second opinion). Just for note, it's about 28f outside, 08 has year old all seasons whilst 09 has summer tires. We looked for the following:

Tracking: the 08 seems to wander both ways on a straight road whereas the 09 doesn't (same stretch of road at 50mph).

Sharp swerving (as if to avoid a child or animal that runs out into the road): the 08 seems to unsettle easily, whereas the 09 is composed. The 09 settles down much quicker.

Sharp cornering: the 08 rolls quite a bit and doesn't inspire confidence. It feels as if it's about to break away any moment. The 09 steering reacts more quickly with less roll, and felt stable.

On-ramp acceleration: 08 started to slip and understeer (relaxed throttle brings it back), 09 settled with less understeer. I was not being mean to either car or taking above 4k, the dealer trusted me with their car and I wanted to keep within what the salesman allowed me to do last time (especially with patches of snow and ice around).

Left-right waggling of the steering: simple body roll test at low speeds, had my colleague laughing in the 08. The 09 has far less body roll, whilst the ride isn't that much firmer for him as a passenger (but noticed).

Other: the 09 also seemed smoother in acceleration, although the throttle lag is much smaller, and the turbo seemed to be "competent" whereas my 08 feels "restricted". Again, I didn't abuse the car because someone else will own it one day, and summer tires right now are a little risky anyhow. My colleague thought the ride as a passenger was more firm in the 09, but smoother (less bouncing around). The acceleration also seem smoother through normal driving.

I find the 09 to be a more spirited car, giving more confidence in turns and more ability to do things quickly. However, my colleague pointed out that the 08 is still a nice car to ride in and not that much different for normal driving. Personally I don't know how you find it "better", but if throwing a car around in anger is not your thing then the 08 is still a great car. For me the 09 is what a WRX should be, and I will probably end up trading very soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123