Questions about whats under my hood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about whats under my hood within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Please point me in the right direction where to get these answered if its not in this forum. Well im ...

Questions about whats under my hood

Please point me in the right direction where to get these answered if its not in this forum.
    Well im very new to subaru's so dont laugh, i wanna learn. Sounds like my cars got a bov but there isnt one where theres suppose to be out of the top mount inter cooler so what is it.
    Its a 2002 and my turbo looks brand new colored compared to my friends thats the same year his is the rusty color, what do you think is up with that. theres different colored pullies is that anything?
    thanks for the help anyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is a saying about pictures being worth some amount of words or something... I'm not sure what that has to do with your thread, but I thought I would just mention that.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

DUB
    yyyuuuuuup.

Wellll........

If you could take a pic of your bay, that would help. As for your BOV, I'll need to see a picture to see what you have. Stock comes with a BPV (By-Pass Valve) looks like a BOV but have a hose to recirculate the air as opposed to blowing off to atmosphere. You have something there, that's for sure, especially if you have a boost gauge.

As for the turbo, a quick read of the nameplate might answer if its new/old/just clean

As for the pulley, measure the diameter, make sure its not different. Some people replace them with lighter, smaller pulleys to "under-drive" the accessories, give you more power to the motor (para-phrasing here, trying to not complicate it).

So, as stated before, a few pictures will help...one of the motor where the intercooler sits, one of the turbo, and one of the pulley....
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

pics of the car

Hopefully you guys can get me some knowledge of this bug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 007.jpg   new 008.jpg   new 009.jpg   new 010.jpg   new 013.jpg  

new 014.jpg   new 017.jpg  

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    thats definitely the stock BPV.

you also have an intake silencer delete which is why youre hearing a PSHH sound when youre boosting.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Okay....well, a few things:
    1. You have the stock BPV on the intercooler. It's the brass-colored round thing on the front right of the intercooler (as we're looking at it in the picture. It will have a little hose attached to it and a larger 1" hose attached to it. Its bolted by 2 bolts to the intercooler).
    2. You have a after-market Intercooler. That thing looks like a Turboxs, but it could be the namebrand of the sticker on it.
    3. You have some sort of cold-air / short-ram intake. That'll cause you to hear a lot more wooshing sounds during spooling of the turbo. I recommend taking out the MAF sensor and cleaning it. (They sell cleaner at Pep Boys. Just spray, let dry, and go. Search for directions if you have trouble on this forum). For reference, that intake might cause you to run funny, as the stock box is usually good for 300 hp.
    4. That's a fast-bits underdrive pulley. Unless you have problems (like the lights dimming) you should be fine. Its supposed to be a little lighter weight..

So, that all said, do you have a specific problem? I didn't see any real close-ups of the turbo, so I don't know if its the original or not...
    Last edited by Truckster27; 10-01-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckster27 View Post
    3. You have some sort of hot-air / short-ram intake. That'll cause you to hear a lot more wooshing sounds during spooling of the turbo....
    Fixed.

5. Samco Silicone Y-Pipe and IC-TB coupler.
    6. Rust, lots of rust.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Fixed.

5. Samco Silicone Y-Pipe and IC-TB coupler.
    6. Rust, lots of rust.
    Actually, your point about the intake is kind of interesting. Why is his intake located there?

I have a TurboXS CAI that routes down almost into the front right fender, and has heat shields so it's drawing (mostly) cooler air, rather than hot air under the hood, which was what I thought was the whole point (along with increased airflow) of a ditching the airbox.

Does the short length of his intake offset the increased heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Actually, your point about the intake is kind of interesting. Why is his intake located there?

I have a TurboXS CAI that routes down almost into the front right fender, and has heat shields so it's drawing (mostly) cooler air, rather than hot air under the hood, which was what I thought was the whole point (along with increased airflow) of a ditching the airbox.

Does the short length of his intake offset the increased heat?
    No.

Does yours actually go through the fender? Or is it still located in the engine bay? His is basically the stock intake system - the box + a large air filter. This is probably resulting in a loss of power from all the hot air being sucked into that ginormous air filter. He might be getting better "flow" but it's rather pointless when all that increased flow is nice, hot air. I would go back to the stock intake (get the stock air box) or get a heat shield for it.
    Last edited by STI_KLR; 10-01-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

^^^agree 1000000%
    Vf-39 all the way!

Facebook / Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    This is probably resulting in a loss of power from all the hot air being sucked into that ginormous air filter. He might be getting better "flow" but it's rather pointless when all that increased flow is nice, hot air. I would go back to the stock intake (get the stock air box) or get a heat shield for it.
    ------------------
    Wow! Still the number one most argued topic.
    CAI or ShortRam!??....Hhhmmm???
    Intercoolers do what??...and the WaterSprayer does QUE??!!
    *Water and mud = bad for Intake.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    +1 Keep the stock BPV and replace the intake with the original (+/- Silencer).

I can't see real well but it looks like an aftermarket downpipe. Can you take a closer pic of the turbo area to the right of the intercooler?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Definitely leave the stock bypass valve on.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    No.

Does yours actually go through the fender? Or is it still located in the engine bay? His is basically the stock intake system - the box + a large air filter. This is probably resulting in a loss of power from all the hot air being sucked into that ginormous air filter. He might be getting better "flow" but it's rather pointless when all that increased flow is nice, hot air. I would go back to the stock intake (get the stock air box) or get a heat shield for it.
    I have the SPT intake with heat shield, but I left my front intake scoop (w/ white elbow) attached to help bring in outside air. I'm also protuned for it, which really helps.

Attachment 80443
    Last edited by Pavia; 10-27-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast