another newbie here with some ?'s
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on another newbie here with some ?'s within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, just a got a brand new 08 wrx (i know I should have waited for the 09's) but ...

another newbie here with some ?'s

Hey everyone, just a got a brand new 08 wrx (i know I should have waited for the 09's) but didn't figure that out til I started reading threads here!!! Because of that I figure this is a great place to start getting educated about my brand new car.

I had a fairly modded turbo'd 2000 civic si (used to be an avid clubsi poster) but I can tell you right now I don't miss that car at all with my new wrx. Already started thinking about some mods but had some questions. I was fortunate enough to find a new 08 wrx with an stp exhaust already installed!! After reading the sticky and seeing that it increased the car 19whp I couldn't believe it! I think it's great that we can add these mods and NOT void the warranty. My question is what else can we do WITHOUT voiding the warranty? Are all spt and sti performance parts found at subarugenuineparts.com fair game?

Was looking at the sti springs and the front tower strut brace in particular. Also if someone could maybe shoot me a link on reflashing my ecu I would love to read more up on this. Turboing and tuning my honda was so detailed I want to be as knowledgeable with suby's as much as honda's. I went threw such a headache trying to get threw emissions with my turbo civic I don't want to have to go through that again. I've read good things about the cobb so far, and I really like their features i.e. being able to run economy mode in realtime, preset maps, etc... I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on the matter, but what's the best way to reach around 250whp? That's what stock sti's are putting down correct? Is there something out there that works like the cobb that can put me there without needing a pro tune? But I'm guessing I would need someone to tune me up to that point. Can anyone recommend a good tuner in MD?

Sorry for the long thread and the ton of questions, but I'm real excited about this car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by makikogi
    I was fortunate enough to find a new 08 wrx with an stp exhaust already installed!! After reading the sticky and seeing that it increased the car 19whp I couldn't believe it!
    You shouldn't believe it, because it doesn't.

Was looking at the sti springs and the front tower strut brace in particular.
    The pink springs are good. Save your $$ on the STB - buy the cheapest one you can find, as they're essentially all the same. For the '02-07, you can get replica STi ones for $110 shipped from Oakos. However, I would wait until you've done tires, springs, and sways/endlinks before doing STBs, as you'll get more bang/$ out of them.

Also if someone could maybe shoot me a link on reflashing my ecu I would love to read more up on this.
    As far as I know, Cobb is the only utility that can override the CANbus feature, so you're limited to their product for this.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

thanks for all the info...I agree a metal bar is a metal bar I'll just wait til more are available. Could you point me in the right direction in terms of which sway bars to look into?

Also if I do get pinks do I need to upgrade my shocks also? I'm coming from the Honda world where any after market springs would blow OEM honda shocks...are the stock shocks ok to run with the pinks? I know they're only a little stiffer and lower the car just a tad. I can't imagine it being a problem but might as well do both at the same time if I need to. Also what about camber kits? I see there are adjustable control arms that can adjust the camber. How much will the pinks throw off the camber?

And yea I was very skeptical about the dyno numbers on the spt exhaust.
    Last edited by makikogi; 09-30-2008 at 02:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Could you point me in the right direction in terms of which sway bars to look into?
    A lot of people like a 24mm F / 22mm R (both adjustable) setup - make sure to get upgraded endlinks to go along with the sways.

Also if I do get pinks do I need to upgrade my shocks also? I'm coming from the Honda world where any after market springs would blow OEM honda shocks...are the stock shocks ok to run with the pinks? I know they're only a little stiffer and lower the car just a tad. I can't imagine it being a problem but might as well do both at the same time if I need to.
    If you get them through the dealer, your shocks will most likely be warrantied. If they blow, get it fixed under warranty. If they blow outside the warranty window, then get upgraded ones at that time.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.