New Member -- just did first mods and dyno
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Member -- just did first mods and dyno within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just wanted to say "Hi" -- I've been lurking for a bit...thanks to all for so many informative posts. I ...

New Member -- just did first mods and dyno

Just wanted to say "Hi" -- I've been lurking for a bit...thanks to all for so many informative posts.

I just did the first round of work on my 2008 WRX.

TurboXS Cold Air Intake, Cobb downpipe, SPT mid and axle back, Cobb AccessPort, and full tune and dyno run.

I'm pretty pleased with it; it looks almost completely stock from the exterior (the exhaust tip is a bit bigger than stock), doesn't sound that much louder except when I really get on it. I'm really, really surprised by how of a boost just the above bolt-ons gave.

A few runs on a Dynojet resulted in reads of 243 hp and 319 ft-lbs. on a targeted boost of 16psi.

319 seemed like a lot to me, even on a Dynojet, but the guys at the shop said it was just about what they expected, maybe even a little on the low end of things.

I'm going to try to take it down to Cecil County Dragway (MD) in the next few weeks to see how it runs.

Best,

Rule

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Welcome. Those are some nice numbers. Once you start adding parts to these cars, they tend to make a lot more TQ over HP. Any pics?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

No pics, yet. I'll have to get around to that after the weekend, it's raining like crazy here.

Until you open the hood it looks pretty much like a normal, charcoal gray WRX hatchback.

I'm actually debating pulling the WRX badging off of it, and putting on regular impreza ones. If I could figure a way to lose the hood scoop I would.

TurboXS is coming out with a front mount intercooler, shortly. I suppose if I put that on I could switch the hood over to a regular Impreza hood, right?

It's not that I don't like the WRX look -- I like it a lot -- I just think the '08 has tremendous sleeper potential.

Please post after your runs. That is incredible torque gain from your mod - which single mod do you think had the biggest impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I'm actually debating pulling the WRX badging off of it, and putting on regular impreza ones. If I could figure a way to lose the hood scoop I would.
    Debadging Yes. Downbadging No. because frankly regardless of whats badged on it anyone that you WOULD want to fool will know its whats under the hood that counts.

It's not that I don't like the WRX look -- I like it a lot -- I just think the '08 has tremendous sleeper potential.
    I agree it does have a lot of sleeper potential, also not as likely to get you noticed by the 5-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_'er_Roxie View Post
    Please post after your runs. That is incredible torque gain from your mod - which single mod do you think had the biggest impact?
    Will do. The weather is still lousy here, next week, if I have time and the wife will let me get away for a few hours.

Hard to say what caused the biggest gain (it may be naive of me, this is the first turbo car I've modified) but I like to think of intake and exhaust as all being part of one big tube that you're unplugging. You can unplug sections of it here and there, but when you unplug ALL of it you get a much larger gain than any one individual part standing alone would get you, especially when you have a real pro tune it afterwards. Basically, if an intake alone could get you 5 hp or so, if you did it in conjunction with the rest of the in/exh you'd get 10 from it.

All that said, if I had to bet on one "hardware" part making the biggest different, it would probably be the down pipe. From the dyno plot it's clear that the stock turbo is way, way too small for the engine (torque peaks at 2900) when everything is unplugged, which tells me that this was what was probably holding the car back the most.

But if it were one "thing" -- software or hardware -- standing alone that was responsible for biggest portion of the gains, it'd be the Cobb AccessPort and dyno tuning. I'd bet that with just the AP and tune I could have gotten close to halfway to the numbers I ultimately reached. It really is amazing. I'm only 33, but I feel like the tech is moving beyond me. I grew up building and racing VW air cooled engines. We did everything with handtools, syncing carbs, no computers, etc. I'm still taken aback at the idea that you can plug your car into a computer, run it for an hour or two on a dyno, and leave with a perfectly drivable beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly Monster View Post
    Debadging Yes. Downbadging No. because frankly regardless of whats badged on it anyone that you WOULD want to fool will know its whats under the hood that counts.
    Very true; I hadn't really thought of that issue. Maybe I'll just debadge and leave it at that. That'd save me a ton of $ on the front IC and hood, too.

I agree it does have a lot of sleeper potential, also not as likely to get you noticed by the 5-0.
    Attorney, here. And Pa. isn't renowned for traffic enforcement. So no worries on that front. I've been in Pa. for about 8 years -- I've gotten totally spoiled by being able to speed in that time.

Sweet, thanks for the details. How's your MPG now?

Quote Originally Posted by Call_'er_Roxie View Post
    Sweet, thanks for the details. How's your MPG now?
    Averaging around 21 mpg (indicated) if I don't get on it too hard. I'm going to run with the AP attached, and also do it by hand to see what I'm really getting. I was getting 24 or so, stock.

sweet numbers! who did the tune, Verocious Motorsports?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    sweet numbers! who did the tune, Verocious Motorsports?
    Yep; good folks.

I got a call from them, the day before I was dropping it off for the install and tune, and they said that we might be missing a part to make the intake fit. I asked how long it would take to get the part in, and to when we should move the appointment. They snickered, and said they'd just fabricate the part mid-install at no extra cost, and no delay. It turned out that we didn't need the part, but they get a big thumbs up from me for recognizing and handling the issue.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    TurboXS is coming out with a front mount intercooler, shortly. I suppose if I put that on I could switch the hood over to a regular Impreza hood, right?

Yes, you can use an Impreza hood with a FMIC. If everything fits the way it's supposed to, it's actually easy to install yourself. Regarding intercoolers, it's a toss up between having turbo lag with a FMIC & heatsoak with a larger TMIC.

That being said, a sleeper 08 WRX w/o a hood scoop & a stealth FMIC would be pretty sweet.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

yeah I agree with that... I recently purchased a grillcraft lower grill to hide my FMIC ....

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club...
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.