New to suby..Why the &#^$ did nobody tell me the wrx comes in a 5 door!?!?!?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to suby..Why the &#^$ did nobody tell me the wrx comes in a 5 door!?!?!?! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A little background... Im 22, in college (almost done!) and decided im going to get a new car as a ...

New to suby..Why the &#^$ did nobody tell me the wrx comes in a 5 door!?!?!?!

A little background... Im 22, in college (almost done!) and decided im going to get a new car as a little graduation present for myself. *long read ahead*

I currently drive (and have for the last 4 years) a 2003 ford focus SVT. Its an amazing handling little car but with full bolt ons only puts down 155whp and 133 ft/lbs! Not horrible for a 2800 lb car...but im a power freak.

Up until about 2 hours ago I had narrowed it down to the following (and yes I know my two picks were on the TOTAL opposite ends of the spectrum lol)
    Mustang gt- the 2010 assuming they bring out the TTv6 (400/330) or the new 5.0l (400/400) both claiming superior MPG over the current 4.6. If the body totally sucks (looks like it might) I may look elsewhere, seeing as how the GT is not really that practical of a car.
    My other pick was the Mazdaspeed3- essentially the same car I have now but wider/longer and packing 263/280 sounded really good to me! Has the space/seating a 5 door hatch should, and is a hoot to drive (MINUS the huge power drop off at 5500 rpm...) I have done reading to find some tuning options out (and ones they are still working on..such as the COBB maps) will get rid of the boost limit in 1/2 and maintain 16-19 psi all the way to redline.

Anyway... I was undecided on the look of the new STI. I really dislike the camry-like look of the regular wrx so I did not even consider it. Up until I was googling the wrx (after seeing its placement on Road and Track's new review) and saw IT COMES IN THE 5 DOOR TOO!!!

I have a "thing" for hatchbacks after owning mine, so the new style suby is really growing on me. I really like the fact its getting a LOT more power for 2009, and they are firming it up 50% (I havnt driven one yet, but heard its a little squishy).

My car is only worth about 7k after selling it private party and selling my mods off. My price limit is set at 30k, hoping to stay under it enough to let the mod-bug bite a few times for some bolt on's tuning and some rims.

I saw on perrin's site that the 2008 wrx dyno'd at 210whp and 245wtq STOCK!?!? And the 2008 STI dyno'd at 245/275. Considering the regular wrx is rated at 224/226, it certainly appears somebody is under-rating the wrx! AWD's usually have close to 20% driveline loss, right? Those numbers seem more like 4% driveline loss on HP, and a GAIN on the torque side.

O well, its better to see under rating than over rating!

This makes me wonder...is the 2009 just getting a moddest bump in power, and the OEM flywheel rating will be more accurate? Meaning it will only dyno at like 225/250'ish? I truly hope not! Especially due to the 2-3k price jack for 09.

If anyone has some reading for me to do on the 2008 wrx or the 2009 it would be much appreciated!! I have scoured google for the last hour but am not turning up a whole lot.

Thanks in advance! Now to go poke around my new home *aka the forums*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    Why the &#^$ did nobody tell me the wrx comes in a 5 door!?!?!?!

The wrx comes in a 5 door.

Thanks for telling me...9 months too late! Well..would have saved me a lot of trouble in the "mental magazine racing" I have been doing trying to figure out my next ride.

AWD + awesome hp/tq + 5 door = SEX!

Anyone know when they will be available for purchase? The suby site still shows the 08's and says the 09s are "coming soon".

Also..anyone know how to change the order this forum shows posts/replies? It has the Original post at the bottom, and the replies are on top (opposite of traditional forum viewing). Can i adjust this in the control panel?

THanks!!

depends on your location for when the 09s come out, should be very soon all over though. and the reason the numbers the wrx and sti put out were lower was because thats what the car puts down to the wheels (whp) and rated from subaru they give you just horse power to the fly (hp). def a great car and would buy one, go test drive it! goodluck!
    05 WRX Wagon *SOLD*

99 Civic SI *ITR 5 Lug-16x8 Dunlop CP-R's* *SOLD*

2010 Tacoma 6-Speed *SOLD*

2007 WRB STi

I was not disputing the flywheel versus whp thing at all...

Thats why I was asking what the parasitic driveline loss was on typically subies. I was thinking its close to 20%

BUT if the wrx is rated at 224 flywheel, that should show up as like 190whp, not 210whp like it does. Also torque shows at 226, meaning it should be down around 190wtq BUT it shows up as 20wtq higher than the flywheel rating @ 245wtq!

the 226/245 (whp) is oddly close to the sti's 245/275 (whp) as it is rated at 305/290, showing the typical 20% +/- driveline loss, where as the regular WRX does not.

I have this feeling that subaru is not really going to change much, and just put the flywheel rating higher as it dyno's much better than their flywheel numbers show. 226whp would be about 270 wtq (what the 09 is supposed to be).

Just an oberservation...although i hope they do actually bump it to "270 flywheel" as using the current rating, thats 250 wtq (sti terrirtory) bone stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    For answers like how to fix the order posts display in, visit the green link in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.