New!

This is a discussion on New! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looking to do a lot of reading and research here on your engines. I've got an idea in mind and ...

New!

Looking to do a lot of reading and research here on your engines. I've got an idea in mind and am here to see if its possible.

I'm not sure how most of you handle engine swaps into different cars, but over on the BMW forums people tend to get a bit upset about it lol

I'm here to research about the boxer engine, mounting points, transmission, driveshaft, and ecu. I would like to put these parts or some of them into an e36 m3. Before I go on like I'm sure most new members so, I will say I do not know if this is even possible yet, which is why I'm here to read and see what you guys have to say.

I want something different and with my engineering background I may be able to make it work.

Anyways, that's why I'm here!

-Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd say we're a lot more open to swaps and the like. Since the engines and transmissions are like legos in the way that they fit, there are lots of combinations that exist.

I guess a few ground questions I have...
    1. Why? Not that I don't want you to do this - far from it...I'd love to see it happen. Since an M3 already has close to 300hp and is the top of the line model, it seems a strange place to start from my view. Would a 318i or 32Xi series be an option for you?

2. Do you plan to make this a RWD car or an AWD car?

3. You have an engineering background like I do, so I have to ask...what is your ability for machine work, welding, fabricating and the like? I've met too many engineers that have never touched or would rather pay someone to do physical work. Since you want to do this, I'll assume you can hold your own in a shop and actually enjoy it (as I do).

4. What is your budget?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions to start you off. I've actually got plans of my own - maybe even a little more ambitious.

Oh....welcome!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by falconflyer912 View Post
    I'd say we're a lot more open to swaps and the like. Since the engines and transmissions are like legos in the way that they fit, there are lots of combinations that exist.

I guess a few ground questions I have...
    1. Why? Not that I don't want you to do this - far from it...I'd love to see it happen. Since an M3 already has close to 300hp and is the top of the line model, it seems a strange place to start from my view. Would a 318i or 32Xi series be an option for you?

2. Do you plan to make this a RWD car or an AWD car?

3. You have an engineering background like I do, so I have to ask...what is your ability for machine work, welding, fabricating and the like? I've met too many engineers that have never touched or would rather pay someone to do physical work. Since you want to do this, I'll assume you can hold your own in a shop and actually enjoy it (as I do).

4. What is your budget?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions to start you off. I've actually got plans of my own - maybe even a little more ambitious.

Oh....welcome!
    1.) I guess I just want something different. I don't want the run of the mill e36 m3 on coilovers, bbs wheels, and the 240hp N/A motor. The car I will be working with is a friends father's e36 m3. He is selling it cheap because he just had european delivery on his new 135i. I'm choosing the M3 because I can get it for a steal and many performance parts are already handled (bigger m3 brakes, ground control coil overs, koni adjustables) as well as cosmetically more appealing.

2.) My plan was to make it RWD, but just because the m3 is already RWD I hadn't considered the AWD. I figured that keeping the car RWD will allow me to keep the suspension set-up that I have in there and just deal with engine, motormounts, transmission, and driveshaft. What have you seen as far as eliminating the AWD to make RWD or just going with a different transmission (if that even exists).

3.) I do have access to all the fabrication tools and hardware. I have some experience with lathe work, mill work, welding, and many engineering programs such as ProE and Ansys.

4.) My budget is currently about 6K. I'm sure it will go over that though because little such as gaskets, bolts, etc add up and there are always hangups and obstacles.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to reading more!
    Last edited by GaryE30; 09-26-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    1990 Alpine Weiß 325iS
    E30 M3 5-lug | 16x8 | IE Stg. 3 | Koni SA | Triflo | 4500K

I'll post either tonight or tomorrow with a real response when I'm not at work...just wanted to let you know I haven't completely forgotten about the thread.

No sweat man, I'm going to be researching a lot before I make any purchases.
    1990 Alpine Weiß 325iS
    E30 M3 5-lug | 16x8 | IE Stg. 3 | Koni SA | Triflo | 4500K