opinions on silencers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on opinions on silencers within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When I bought my subie, it had a full aftermarket exhaust, with a silencer. What are your opinions on silencers? ...

opinions on silencers

When I bought my subie, it had a full aftermarket exhaust, with a silencer. What are your opinions on silencers? I know that they are a cause to a drop in HP, and depending on the engine setup it could be a lot. My main reasoning for asking is that I have heard that it can cause issues with the turbo and engine because of the added back pressure. Anyone have thoughts/personal experience with this?
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

IMO if your going to use a silencer, why did you buy a CBE to begin with (I know yours came with it, thats my general opinion on them) I would just put the stock CBE back on. If your worried about dB levels, get a quieter system, like a cobb, or SPT.

Im not 100% sure but it seems to me that if the silencer caused issues to the car, the manufacturer would not have included it.
    Last edited by jeffmm06; 08-22-2008 at 06:20 AM.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

From what I was told, the first owner did the exhaust swap and the second owner put the silencer in it. I was looking at taking it out last night, but sadly it's tack welded in. At the time I didn't think about taking a grinder to it and grinding a 1/8 inch off. Might do that tonight. Here is a pic. Sorry, it's the only one I have right now that shows the exhaust.
    Last edited by svynx; 08-22-2008 at 06:26 AM.

I never heard of a silencer causing a drop in HP. However i have heard that in some applications a silencer can improve on low-end torque.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

me i like mine loud so since i got my new exhaust the silencer had been packed away if i ever sell the exhuast to have it for the sale. But like said about if it did hurt the car they would make/include them.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, the silencer shouldn't cause as much back pressure as the stock exhaust, so I don't see how it could hurt anything.

I had a stealthback exhaust (stock muffler) with a cutout and I didn't really notice much of a HP gain from having the cutout open, so I doubt the silencer drops much HP. Seems like the higher power car the more of a difference it would make.. and the less you would need those few extra HP.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.