From Civic Si to STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on From Civic Si to STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everybody. Newbie here. I currently have an 07 Nighthawk Black Pearl Civic Si coupe. I'm ready for torque, HP ...

From Civic Si to STi

Hey everybody. Newbie here. I currently have an 07 Nighthawk Black Pearl Civic Si coupe. I'm ready for torque, HP and F/I, so Subie here I come. Couple of neewb questions...

First a little background. I'm going to today to test drive an 05 STi with 38K miles. Totally stock and according to the dealer the one-owner was a 40+ year old male. Personally, I've never bought a used car before, so this is my first experience in this realm and I'm a little skeptical to say the least. Always been a Honda guy, but ready to make the jump. It's either this STi or an 09 WRX.

OK, on to my questions. Can you guys give me the pros and cons to an 05 STi vs a new 09 WRX? I'm not a fan of the hatch so no 08/09 STi for me. I like the added HP of the STi, but I'm really leaning on a new car to avoid issues. Is there a real drawback to just buying an 09 WRX vs and STi?

Thanks in advance for any/all of your help. I look forward to this new forum. Currently an active member of 8thcivic.com (VolkSi).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the club. i'm not sure if any of us will be able to compare the 2 cars because i know the 09's arent really out yet so we havent had a chance to test drive them.

obviously a pro would be getting a brand new car. you'll have a factory warranty.. you know the car wont be completely abused.. you dont have to worry about whether or not it was taken care of, etc etc.

cons: its ugly

pros for an 05 sti: its a gorgeous car. it will be cheaper than the 09 wrx, it has that "raw horsepower" feel to it.

cons: it couldve been previously modded and put back to stock. it couldve been driven really hard and abused. you more than likely wont have a factory warranty... and finally, youre going from a somewhat brand new car.. to a used car.

even the wrx is a big step up from the civic si though. i think you'd be happy with that. you might want to go test drive the 08's and if you enjoy it, you'll probably LOVE the 09's.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    even the wrx is a big step up from the civic si though. i think you'd be happy with that. you might want to go test drive the 08's and if you enjoy it, you'll probably LOVE the 09's.
    My thoughts exactly. (Except I don't think the newer models are ugly, of course). I'll try an 08 today, too.

Thanks, man!

Quote Originally Posted by VolkSTi View Post

Thanks, man!
    she's a female lol

I'd say test out the sti first. The tranny is really strong, and u start out with a better platform all around. Although it being used is something to be concerned about.

i second her opinion. they are hideous. aside from that i did in fact test drive an 08. they are nice dont get me wrong, but every brand new car is nice. it all depends on what You are looking for.

if you enjoy working on your car like me, and doing all the mods yourself, go for the 05'

if you want a car that has the power now go for the new one, chances are half the mods you would be doing would void the warranty anyways

even if you dont want to mod anything, the 05 sti is a powerhouse stock and like she said, either or is a BIG jump from the civic si.

going from rice, to a rice burner. need i say more?
    04' WRB wagon stage 2
    wagon Mafia #1 Where my wagons at?

coming from a new 05 sti owner...i would say sti

the car is amazing just being stock, plus like they've said, you'll have a strong platform to start with if you plan on modifying and you wont have to worry about voiding the warranty
    Chris-'05 Blue Sti

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    she's a female lol .
    My bad. Now I feel like a moron!

Thanks to everyone for his/her comments. I just got back from driving the 05 STi and an 08 WRX. Don't get me wrong, the STi has crazy power, and is one awesome ride, but the 08 has sooo much more room inside. I was very impressed with the fit & finish of the 08 as well. Looks like the 09 WRX is my next ride. Dealer said they should start getting them in September, and I'm placing my order ASAP. Now I have to pick a color...oh yeah, and then let the mods begin

Mmmmm rice!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i'd go for white or WRB

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i'd go for white or WRB
    I'm a big fan of white, too. The 08 I drove was white, and it was nice. I'm excited now. I love my Si, but you just can't beat AWD and FI!!

Banned
    As long as the tranny has been addressed for the power in the 09 WRX, it should be a great ride. I was in the same boat coming out of my stage 2 WRX but I jumped on the old man 05 STi. I just like the obnoxious hood scoop (compared to my 06 wagon) and the lovely stage 2 torque is very nice.

I'm a big fan of white, too. The 08 I drove was white, and it was nice. I'm excited now. I love my Si, but you just can't beat AWD and FI!!
    No you can't! and WRB or White are definately your best colour choices.

I had an '05 wrx, eventually made my way to an '06 TW Si coupe, and traded that back in for an '06 wrx...so you could say ive been through all the flavors of your scenario...save the 6speed gearbox the sti has.

for the exception of 3rd gear issue that the honda have...(assuming you may have experienced it) the si shifts a lot more smoothly than the Subaru....that and the interior is nicer. Aside from that, the impreza is superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

I'm a big fan of white, too. The 08 I drove was white, and it was nice. I'm excited now. I love my Si, but you just can't beat RWD and FI!!

fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.