Just starting out, have ?'s

This is a discussion on Just starting out, have ?'s within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. I just picked up a 2002 WRX, 70,000 miles, extremely clean. I have a few questions: When should ...

Question Just starting out, have ?'s

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 2002 WRX, 70,000 miles, extremely clean. I have a few questions:
    When should I worry about changing the timing belt?
    Odd squeaking when I turn right (not left though). Seems like it is coming from the left front tire. Any ideas?
    And the last one (hopefully...) If I'm on the highway, downshift to 3rd to have a little fun, let the clutch out (I rev match), and floor it, it sounds like the engine has enough umph to make the clutch slip, even though it was already engaged. It also happens in any gear, weather I'm moving already or not. Is that a sign that the clutch is going bad, or is it typical for a turbo'ed engine.
    Thanks in advance. I look forward to speaking with all of you while learning more about this wonderful machine.
    Joel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey congrats on your new car! Looks good. I been noticing a similar squeal in my gf's car, turns out the squealing tire has low air pressue. So check that first...pretty simple fix if it's low. Other than that I couldn't tell you.

When you're on the highway and you peg the throttle does it just sound like it has lots of power or is it actually revving up too much without you accelerating?

70k miles would be early for a clutch, but not unheard of.

Welcome and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Whistle View Post
    Hey congrats on your new car! Looks good. I been noticing a similar squeal in my gf's car, turns out the squealing tire has low air pressue. So check that first...pretty simple fix if it's low. Other than that I couldn't tell you.

When you're on the highway and you peg the throttle does it just sound like it has lots of power or is it actually revving up too much without you accelerating?

70k miles would be early for a clutch, but not unheard of.

Welcome and good luck!

I'll chech the tire pressure in a few minutes. The RPM's jump, car starts to move faster, RPM's come down a little, and then things are ok. Sorry, it's hard to explain.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    most people change the timing belt at around 80k. the MAXIMUM you should wait is 105k.

welcome to the club!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Your clutch issue sounds to me like its starting to slip, 70K is a common time for the WRX clutch due to how is commonly driven

If you get a new one make sure you go with the stock exedy clutch.

Good luck

Well, I checked the tire pressure. The left front was higher than all the rest, so I lowered it a little to match the others. The squeaking while turning right is still there. I might have to take it to a garage and have them take a look at it.

u should check out the power steering pump and the belt. i had a squeeling when i turned, when i took off at a stop sign on my way to work one morning the altanator/power steering belt snaped. made it to work and changed it at lunch (love having a shop 2 blocks from work)

Was that turning in general, or in one direction. My squeaking is while turning right, which makes me think things either need to be greased up, or there is something wrong with the wheel assembly.
    I'll check all belts and pumps. Thanks to all who have been giving insite.
    Cheers

Did a bit more listening...the wheel doesn't squeak when I am using the brakes at the start of a turn. If I keep the brakes on a little longer than usual, it still doesn't squeak. As soon as I let off the brake, it squeaks. Any ideas?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by svynx View Post
    When should I worry about changing the timing belt?
    105,000 mi. Follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

Odd squeaking when I turn right (not left though). Seems like it is coming from the left front tire. Any ideas?
    Check for bearing play. Pull the wheel, check the wheel itself, the disc, and the steering arms for debris. Check the boots and half shafts.

And the last one (hopefully...) If I'm on the highway, downshift to 3rd to have a little fun, let the clutch out (I rev match), and floor it, it sounds like the engine has enough umph to make the clutch slip, even though it was already engaged. It also happens in any gear, weather I'm moving already or not. Is that a sign that the clutch is going bad,
    Is the clutch slipping or not? Leave rev matching out of it. Floor the throttle under load. Does the clutch slip?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    105,000 mi. Follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

Check for bearing play. Pull the wheel, check the wheel itself, the disc, and the steering arms for debris. Check the boots and half shafts.

Is the clutch slipping or not? Leave rev matching out of it. Floor the throttle under load. Does the clutch slip?
    Didn't come with it, but will be looking around for one.

The car is going up on the lift on thursday. I'll check.

It slips. The rpms go from abut 4k to 6k and then drops a little after the car starts to move faster. I guess the question now is how long can I wait until I need to get a new clutch. And...can anyone suggest a good aftermarket clutch for a everyday car that can handle mild engine mods? I'm looking at a FMI, EM, possibly a larger turbo (read that as years down the line) at some point for engine mods. I already have a 3" full exhaust and a cold air intake.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it slips today, a good time to change the clutch is today. Time to say goodbye. It's a heavy car, you won't want to have to push it around. I'd stick with the stock clutch as long as possible. I like the feel of it and it can hold decent torque, plus in the grander scheme of things it'll serve as the weakest link in the driveline -- this is a better idea than it may sound like initially since the other option is having the gearbox be the weakest link (the shafts are breakable too but not as easily).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've never had to replace a clutch before (had a 97 honda that just kept grabing). Is $150 shipped for the stock exedy clutch a good price? Any estemate for the cost of having a garage put it in? I have a friend with a lift that I could do the swap with, but time might be a factor for him.
    Thanks again.

Update: the squeaking has been taken care of. Turned out it was coming from the spring clip rubbing on the brake pad. I cleaned both, but a little lube on it, and she became silent. Now, on to the o2 sensor. Too bad they cost $200.