Newbee questions

This is a discussion on Newbee questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got a question fur you guys. I'm looking at getting my first WRX. We are looking at getting a ...

Newbee questions

I got a question fur you guys. I'm looking at getting my first WRX. We are looking at getting a white bug eye wagon. I've found a few, but the one that I'm kinda liking is 02 with a FMIC, Cobb AP, uppipe, and turbo back exhaust. Looks really clean and sits on 18's. My only concern is this. This is Oregon car, and I'm in Cali. I know most up and down pipe replacements remove the cat. Having not owned one yet, it's my understanding that there are 3 cats on these right? One on the up, one on the down and then one in the normal location on the exhaust. If the ones on the up and down pipes are removed, does the car run dirty? Will I have a hard time smogging it?

Other questions. I've read nothing but good stuff about Cobb and the Access port. Is that the best programmer out there? I've also seen Vishnu's stuff as well, but it doesn't seem to be run as much as the Cobb stuff. What is the best setup suspension wise for a guy who will daily drive the car, wants a nice stiff ride with out being jarring and will very rarely see a autoX day?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    To address your first question:

That car will be a huge headache to smog in cali. It WILL NOT pass the way it is. You will have to return many parts to stock. If you are gonna buy a car out of state to bring in to cali (I did this) make sure it's stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Never, EVER buy a car in CA without a smog certificate. Smogging the car is not your problem. It's the seller's problem. If the seller can't or won't provide a certificate with the car (smog inspection printout dated within 90 days and indicating the car actually passed) then do not buy the car.

It's that simple. Don't do it.

Also, another thing: don't buy a car in CA without a smog certificate provided by the seller.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Move out of Cali!! They're too strict lol

i live in wisconsin and unfortunetly i live in the 1 out of like 5 or 6 counties that does have emmissions testing but no where near as strict as cali. my step mom moved from cali when she got out of the navy and tested the emmisions and didnt even register on the wisconsin emmisions setup on the computer. LOL

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Never, EVER buy a car in CA without a smog certificate. Smogging the car is not your problem. It's the seller's problem. If the seller can't or won't provide a certificate with the car (smog inspection printout dated within 90 days and indicating the car actually passed) then do not buy the car.

It's that simple. Don't do it.

Also, another thing: don't buy a car in CA without a smog certificate provided by the seller.
    I'm not exactly sure that I know what you are trying to say. Would you clarify for me and I'm sure others who may feel that your post was somewhat ambiguous?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I'm not exactly sure that I know what you are trying to say. Would you clarify for me and I'm sure others who may feel that your post was somewhat ambiguous?

I think he meant it's ok to buy a CA car without a smog certificate from the seller, as long as he seems cool and assures you it will pass with no problems. Right?

Well, that one turns out to be more of a project than I want to take on. Not that it's that bed, but I've had my fair share of project cars, and this one is supposed to be a good reliable family and fun car. So, anyway, looks like I mighta found one a lot closer.... like 10 minutes away close. 1 owner, 04 w/ 68K on it and completely unmolested. Gonna go check it out this week.

Wish me luck