Test driving an '05 STI tomorrow

This is a discussion on Test driving an '05 STI tomorrow within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been reading the posts on here for a few days and cant wait to finally put my butt ...

Test driving an '05 STI tomorrow

I have been reading the posts on here for a few days and cant wait to finally put my butt into an STi for the first time.

Besides looking for mods, what else can I keep an eye out for?

The car is blue and has 70K miles on the odo. Any problems I should look for right off the bat?

Its at a Subaru dealer and they said they knew the 1st and only owner and he traded in for an '08 STi. What else can I ask him about the car? Should I request copies of all maintenace done? They are asking $21K which i feel is way to high for that many miles. What do you guys think?

You think 70K is to many miles and I should keep looking? Any upcoming problems that I may be able to address before they happen? You high milage guys have any problems. Thanks in advance and I look to you experts to help make my transformation to the dark side complete!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and good luck on the possible purchase.

The main thing to look at is: have there been any modifications done on the car... especially a BOV. you want to find one as close to stock as possible. BOV spells bad news. Request all maintenance records. Make sure that is has it's 60K mile inspection. Carfax report. Tire condition..... the usual for looking at a used car. These links will help you....

Purchasing Tips

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

That is high miles for an 05. Suby's can last well over 100K but the car is only 3 yrs old. I would try to talk them down a little more on price. I got my 05 for $23900 back in april but it only had 20300 miles on it.

If the car was well taken care of you should be in the clear with the miles.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Thanks for the great links and info. I let you guys know how I feel after the test drive.

Banned
    You shouldn't have any issues with it, considering it's got a good gearbox. That's usually all you have to worry about with used Sube's. Congrat's on your future purchase

I think the price is high for the miles, but it is a stealership so that is to be expected.

Honestly if I were you and you can afford to wait, you can find a much lower miles private party car for that price for an 04-05 or add some cash and get a super low miles clean car. I just think STARTING at 70k is too high but im sure others will not agree
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

Well, drove the STi yesterday morning and man, what else can i say.......AWESOME!!!! I felt like the car pulled pretty good , the streering felt tight, I didn't see any mods or adjustments from where mods might have been. Its blue and has higher miles then I would like. I wanted a white with around $50K. Im going to have my mechanic check the car out on Monday and if I can get the dealer somewhere in the high teens I may just pick the car up. I will let you know how the negotiations go. Thanks for all your advise guys. i REALLY appreciate it and learn something new everyday from you guys!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i'm retarded. blah blah blah
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 08-10-2008 at 08:27 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    dont pay more than 17k for it!

for 18-21k you can get an 06/07 with like... 10k miles on it. haha
    18k for a 06/07 sti with 10k miles??? please tell me where you can get one for that because i will buy one today
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by apex32 View Post
    18k for a 06/07 sti with 10k miles??? please tell me where you can get one for that because i will buy one today
    i totally didnt realize he was referring to an sti. the numbers i was throwing out was for a wrx.

my shipment of fail has arrived

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i totally didnt realize he was referring to an sti. the numbers i was throwing out was for a wrx.

my shipment of fail has arrived
    i figured that was what you were talking about and i couldnt let it slide
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32

Quote Originally Posted by bdturbo View Post
    Its blue and has higher miles then I would like.... I wanted a white with around $50K.
    A white with $50,000 dollars? I'd take one of those regardless of how many miles. Just messin with ya?

If you have any doubts about the car i would recommend waiting it out. Don't jump on the first one you find. You don't want to drop that much moola on a car that you aren't exactly crazy about. I think the blue are the best looking ones. Does it have the gold rims to accomodate it?

Yes it does have the gold wheels as well. its Sunday so i dropped by the dealership today to drool over it again but it was no where to be seen. Either they put it in a bay so no one would mess with it or it was sold yesterday after I was there. I am guessing it was the later.....BOOO! I guess I will have to keep shopping!

Crappy! Check back tomorrow to make sure.

Different STi

Well I checked with the dealer and he sold the car about 2 hours after I left but I think everything happens for a reason. I felt the miles were a little high and the color wasn't exactly what I wanted. So.....I found a Silver '04 STi with 56K miles. The dealer is asking $23,900 but from what I have researched it should be closer to $20-21K. I will use the print outs from NADA and KBB to get the price down. If they can get me near these numbers and close to what my payoff is on my '02 Acura TL Type-S then I will hopefully be driving home in an STi on Saturday. The dealer is about 2 hours from me so I haven't seen it in person yet. I can see from the pic they added the 3 gauge pod on the dash where the clock use to be. I am hoping this car isn't modified and someone just added some basic gauges to try and look cool. Everything else looks stock. What do you guys think?